project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions
17 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Factions Discussion on PR:BF2 community factions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #11
[R-DEV]Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Community Modders Skillset Database

Enterable central european family houses and buildings for ww2 maps would be nice aswell!
Like these, would fit on modern maps also.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Ason; 08-08-2017 at 05:39 AM..
Old 08-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
Midz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mineral View Post
Hey you found the forums I'll ask around the team to see if we need any particular new models. I'd personally prefer if you would look into vehicles. Mostly given those don't need animations (we don't have an animator ). Therefore handheld weapons are more difficult. The one weapon I can think of is the Russian Kornet ATGM. This deployable AT weapon would allow us to have a realistic TOW for Russian Forces instead of the placeholder HJ-8 they have right now.

Not sure how familiar you are with PR and it's factions, but there is always something out of date in our game that could use a refresh. The first thing I can think of is many of our recent factions have heavy armored jeeps. While our main op-for faction (Russian Forces) does not. Something like the GAZ Tigr I think would be great to have. Somebody once started one, but couldn't continue the work. We have that model saved however if anyone would like to continue it.

We usually post community requests here but most of those lists are rather out of date. So I'll ask around to see if there is anything that is to your interest. But mostly we need you to find something that you would like making of course!
Cool man that's awesome. I'll have a good look at these models tomorrow (it's currently 0:27 for me!!) and see what I can do. The model might need tweaking, such as poly count or whatever, but at the very least I can do the leg work.

Still learning, and unfortunately I've not looked at animation yet. So probably better I focus on the non animated (vehicles) before touching a weapon. If I have time of course it's still good to have the asset, ready for animating.

Sorry I took a while to reply; expected a notification! I'll keep an eye on the forum from now on.

Mike
Midz13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #13
Midz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Ason View Post
Enterable central european family houses and buildings for ww2 maps would be nice aswell!
Like these, would fit on modern maps also.

Looks quite interesting! Got any floor plans? I've not tackled a home in Maya but imagine it wont take too long. Do you have furnishings already? Been a while since I've been on PR and don't know if the interior assets you have will fit the setting?

In regards to the roof, does anyone (modelers out there?) know how to do the roof? I imagine a flat surface with an image wouldn't suffice? Would rows of tiles be enough? Or should each tile be modeled... I'm more inclined just to create rows, but let me know your best technique. I'll obviously do some research too on techniques.

I think the part that would take longest is interior furnishings, so if we have them, it shouldn't be too hard!

Mike,
Old 08-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #14
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midz13 View Post
Hey guys hope this is the right place to post!

Just started learning Maya, and this is my first foray into gaming modeling. I studied for 4 years in Architecture and got my BSc, but left as I wanted to pursue gaming instead, and always have.

https://sketchfab.com/models/ed6ca1f...c15a1850c6eb52

This is the first model I have ever done. It's yet to be textured and I aim to learn that as well.

I'm working on another model that isn't finished, of a skid loader forklift for a friend.

So skills would include:

Fairly decent knowledge of building anatomy and construction
Good 3D modelling skills, but basic knowledge of Maya at present
Good research skills and keen eye for details

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!
Hey Mike, sorry I've not gotten back to you been busy with r/l stuff etc.

I studied Engineering/CAD before moving to Game Design so I come from a somewhat similar background and in some ways, it is much harder to come from this kinda background as modelling in CAD/Design software and Game Modelling (especially for an older game like BF2) are two totally different ways of working and you have to basically re-learn how to model things.

Basically, when working in CAD/Design software, you're trying to make things as accurate a possible, regardless of anything else, where in Game Modelling, you're trying to make something only look good, while keeping it as optimized as possible, where accuracy is somewhat irrelevant as long as it looks right and is going to work well in-game both in terms of performance, moving parts and making it look as nice as possible.

For example, when even drawing a circle in CAD, you don't specify how many sides that circle has, it is simply a circle and the rendering software makes it as smooth as possible. However, in game modelling, you always need to specify how many sides a circle has (and will have a default of something like 12 sides or w/e), and basically how many sides you give a circle very much depends on how big it is, and how much detail you're going for on your model based mainly on the kinda tri limits the engine/game has.

Your tank, for example, has loads of model details that simply wouldn't work ingame, especially on a game like BF2, just to pick one example would be the tracks, where in BF2/PR, tracks are just blocks with a texture painted on them with a normal map that makes them look far more 3D than they really are: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...nk-tracks.html

Other details to have far too much detail for their size/relevance to the model and so on but I wouldn't worry about that, best to just view this model as a learning experiance

It took me quite some time to get my head fully around that issue when I first started modelling for PR (started off as a Mapper) and it took me quite a few attempts before I truly got my head around it.

Anyways moving on, I would suggest that you switch to 3DsMax9 (9, not 2009, not 2017, version 9), especially if your going to look into modelling static objects (ie buildings, which is a good place to start, especially when regarding your background) since a big part of making statics is in the exporting process (which is pretty simple) but can only really be done in Max9. Yes you can port models from Maya to Max but it is a pretty complicated process and you're better off just making them in max to begin with.

Next I would follow this tut if you're going to look into statics, start off with something very simple, I can't stress that enough. All to often people start with too big a project and get caught up on the complexity of it rather than overcoming the basic issues they need to learn before attempting something like that.
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...structure.html

There is also this tut here too which goes more into UVing and Texturing statics, which is also the oppsite way round from UVing/Texturing weapons/vehicles etc, since with statics, in BF2 at least, you UV to the Texture, where with weapons/vehicles, you texture to the UV, but ye wouldn't worry about that for now: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...-hesco-v2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midz13 View Post
In regards to the roof, does anyone (modelers out there?) know how to do the roof? I imagine a flat surface with an image wouldn't suffice? Would rows of tiles be enough? Or should each tile be modeled... I'm more inclined just to create rows, but let me know your best technique. I'll obviously do some research too on techniques.
It depends on the roof but generally speaking, they are flat plane with a texture applied to them. Best to look at other models in game to see how they were made:

As for furnishings, best not to worry about them for now, they are best added later on but I don't think we have many WW2 era props right now.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #15
Midz13

Thanks Rhino that's awesome. Good to have some real guidance!

You're 100% right about the accuracy thing. When I first started the tank, I probably spent a good 50% of the time just worrying about sizing and trying to get everything as exact as I could. I realised at the end however that I really needed to let go of the binds of architecture and run freely in the realm of aesthetics!

You're right about the Charioteer tank being super poly heavy. I had no intention of it ever being 'game ready' it was purely a "welcome to Maya" challenge for myself; it was something that I was interested in and therefore gave me the extra motivation to do it.

Like you mentioned, the tracks are super poly heavy. They look sexy as hell but I imagine totally useless for animation, the tank is only useful as a static object if anything... Ach well I learned a hell of a lot and really enjoyed it.

Is there a big difference between 3Ds and Maya? Worried the transition will be painful, but I guess it's vital for a career in gaming.

It's 1am here, so I'll check out the tutorials tomorrow, maybe even get some work done for you guys!

On a more personal note, I see you're in the UK too, did you transition from your Engineering/CAD to Gaming professionally? If so, where are you working? And do you have any tips for starting my career?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #16
Midz13

Hey guys,

Been busy with irl crap, but finally able to put some time into folio work and help out with you guys too. Do we still need this building produced? Will make a start on it now, but if you need something else instead, let me know!

Might be easier for you guys to email me directly - mikey-midz@hotmail.co.uk

Mike
Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #17
Valmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mineral View Post
Not sure how familiar you are with PR and it's factions, but there is always something out of date in our game that could use a refresh. The first thing I can think of is many of our recent factions have heavy armored jeeps. While our main op-for faction (Russian Forces) does not. Something like the GAZ Tigr I think would be great to have. Somebody once started one, but couldn't continue the work. We have that model saved however if anyone would like to continue it.

We usually post community requests here but most of those lists are rather out of date. So I'll ask around to see if there is anything that is to your interest. But mostly we need you to find something that you would like making of course!
Russia ordered 1.000 IVECO LMV heavy armored jeeps...

Will those work for PR?
Valmont is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
community, database, modders, skillset