project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:ARMA3 Support > PR:ARMA2 Support Forum Archive
26 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:ARMA2 Support Forum Archive Archived posts from PR:ARMA2 Support Forum

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
serfma

Default Bottleneck?

So I recently upgraded my processor from an AMD Phenom x4 2.4GHz Quad Core processor to an AMD FX 4100 3.6GHz Quad Core and saw an ENORMOUS boost in FPS, and Arma 2 is now PLAYABLE! I ran the E08: Benchmark for OA and got around 50 - 60 FPS in the end of it, but of course, it's not like that everywhere. Zargabad still gets bad in town. It's playable, but I can tell a big decline of FPS. Some areas FPS drops by a considerable amount. What i'm trying to find out is what my bottleneck is?

I have;
AMD FX 4100 3.6GHz Quad Core (Can run Super Turbo to boost to 3.8GHz or higher, but don't know how to)
Radeon Sapphire HD 6850 1GB (Kinda OC'd)
8GB DDR3 13337MHz
1TB HDD 7xxxRPM (Unsure the speed, doesn't matter that much)
1600x900 Resolution

Video Settings are set at:

I'm sure I could actually OC the 3.6 to around 4.0 or higher, BUT i'm not going to do that unless it starts becoming bad in important areas. I'm unsure of my bottleneck as of now, and i'm almost wanting to bet it's my GPU because of the 1GB VRAM (If it is VRAM). I can play pretty much any game on all max with smooth gameplay, besides BF3 which takes 2GB of VRAM for Ultra. T_T Anyways, any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I know I could set everything to Low, but I want the game to look decent.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
No_Surrender
Supporting Member
Default Re: Bottleneck?

Yeah, you probably have a bottleneck with your CPU, when I play on Zargabad my usage of the GPU goes down to 45% along with 20 fps. But dont worry, this is normal in Arma 2, even the top CPUs with high OCs have framerate drops on cities, its the shitty way Arma 2 handle urban areas, even in small villages I have framerate drops (although unlike Zargabad still playable).

Im pretty sure its not the VRAM (my GPU dont use more than 900mb with high settings on Zargabad). Anyway if you want to look at the GPU usage including VRAM and other features to make sure the bottleneck is the GPU you can use MSI Afterburner. Setting your visibility to 1500 or lower could help a bit since you dont need 3000 inside the city. OC could help (only if you know what you are doing and after you are sure the bottleneck is the CPU).
Last edited by No_Surrender; 02-26-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

Pretty much what No Surrender said, and to add on top of that, your fps might also depend on server performance where you are playing. If actual server is bottlencking, it causes framedrop in general with all players, no matter what kind of hardware they have.

If you are thinking of upgrades, Id rather invest in SSD drive, and leave graphics for later. Your 6850 is still kicking ass, and 1gb of Vram is enough, with settings you got. It depends on much other things, but the key is in tweaking. There is no unniversal tweak working for all. Like the people, every machine differs the very same way. Its up to you to maintain it, and to keep it on top with performance. Wasting loads of cash on expensive toys, wont mean nothing if you dont know ho to use them.

Ill dig up for you a few tricks for optimizing performance and increasing FPS tomorrow. Its late now, I barely type. Until tomorrow cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CATA4TW!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
serfma

Hmm i've heard about getting a SSD but i'm unsure if I really should, and what I should use it for?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

serfma,
the general idea is to put your OS and Arma2 and mods on the SSD.
One of the big bottlenecks for Arma2 is the way it loads textures, there are ALOT of read and write calls to the storage media,

The most intense example is all settings to ultra, full view distance, and flying a jet at low altitude. The read/write speed for the textures is like upwards of twice the maximum bandwidth saturation of RAID 0 Sata6 SSDs.

IN practical terms though, a Sata2 SSD should be good enough for medium settings for infantry/ground vehicles. It will fix almost all ripping/tearing/texture warping issues.

OK, I have probably put less hours in to playing Arma 2 than you, I read this really long thread about this...
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...-using-RAMDISK

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 02-27-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

The second option is to do this:

Automatic ramdisk mounting with Link Shell Extension ( Hardlinks )
Automatic ramdisk mounting with Link Shell Extension ( Hardlinks ) - techPowerUp! Forums

note that this increases boot times considerably as the ram disk is created and then the files transferred to the ram disk.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
serfma

Alright cool, thanks. I'll probably be buying me one! One of my parents found $1,400 in a pair of shorts from Goodwill. (;
Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
[R-MOD]BabylonCome
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

The bottleneck is being caused by using a HDD - the only solution is using an SSD, this is due to the fact that Arma does not cache graphics and thus every time you look at something, Arma has to draw it, thus getting an SSD and installing Arma on it will reduce this 'lag' due to the fact the graphic details and textures are coming from a solid state and 4 times plus the speed of a mechanical hard drive.

CO - Rusty In Places -
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
6Skrillex6
Unhappy Really Low FPS

Hi there Community!

Right now I'm running ArmA 2 on;

-Nvidia Geforce GTS 450

-8gb Kingston DDR-3 RAM

-All settings on medium-high with 1920x1080 resolution (Native)

- Intel I5 Core

----------------------------

Even with this setup I can only get as much as 20-25 FPS during normal gameplay, i.e no explosions or anything and it can and will drop down to around 10 while in combat and 2 while in extreme combat.

Thus I ask you all, what could I as a listening community member do to get my rig sorted out and atleast get around 40-50 FPS?

All answers are thanked for and if possible, please include sites and costs of the items you recommend.

Thank you on beforehand!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
[R-DEV]Minimalaco
PR:A3 Developer

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]Minimalaco
Default Re: Really Low FPS

in the video options (in game), video memory set it in default. I always had that option in normal, high or very high, and had horrible fps.

Tags
bottleneck, fps, low