project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:ARMA3 Mod Forums > PR:ARMA3 General Discussion
17 Oct 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:ARMA3 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality:ARMA3 modification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
MaSSive

Arrow Insurgency revival [PR Insurgency] or why the hell not

Why not revive Insurgency? Anyone interested and willing to contribute PM me here or post, I would love to hear your ideas.

My intention is to port/rework entire mission and make it work in Arma3 as it used to work in A2CO/ACE, and make it as close as possible to PR original insurgency.

I would also like to hear a word from Epoch, but also from Deadfast, Foxhound and all the PR:Arma devs. We can make this a joint effort and perhaps start something new here. Swedge you old sneaky bastard Id love you to join us too.

For a start, entire code base needs to be redone and new mechanisms implemented. ALICE and SILVIE are gone, UPS from Kronzky needs to be updated, AI spawning/caching needs to be looked into. No FAS/BC module so we needs a workaround for medical treatment, wounding, and revival. AGM or XMS2 comes to mind, but I would love to keep mod dependency on the low level.

We also need a banner and a few cool textures for the mission, so dont hesitate to make one, and send it my way.

As you can see current one is misspelled. Inurgencey

In the end we can make it a join effort of PR team and release it under a PR label if you're interested. Fireball left the battlefield, pogoman is long gone, I dont know where Kol9yn is, but Ive spoken to Fireball and he handed over entire project to me. So lads, lets get this done.

For a start I need coders to join me, so we can make a base code up and running in A3. Then we can work on other systems. Intention is to make this a huge TvT mission, but I would like to have a Coop version also for the ones not liking PvP elements. We also need a server for playtesting. I have one now, but its on a low bandwidth, which will be upgraded in few months, until then its impossible to stress test it with large amount of players.

Current status: A3 version is broken and not working (made in Alpha days), A2 version reached EOL and will not be updated. If anyone is willing to continue to work on A2 version I will split the projects and make you manage this version.

Thanks for reading.

MaSSive.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
MaSSive

Default Re: Insurgency revival [PR Insurgency] or why the hell not

Hot potatoes.

That comes to my mind at this moment. 700 views and not a single answer or interest at all. I see why everyone abandoned this project now. Porting someone else's work and ideas is harder than making your own from scratch, so in line with that, I will trash the entire code and start over with functions and PFH. As I have no help at all, this will take some time to complete. ACE3 is not what ACE2 was, Arma3 is not what A2CO was, and Insurgency surely cant bring the same experience. I am the first one to be sorry because of that. There are versions out there that claim to be what they are not, and are all derivatives of this original, and use its code base. Yet nobody is willing to contribute to the source. I guess I'm done.

Now sink to the bottom.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
Old 05-03-2015, 02:53 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Funnily enough I've tried doing the same thing (using RHS:USAF and Aggressors addons) and came to the same conclusion.

I can maybe give you a hand somewhere, but the most complex missions I wrote for A3 are all SP/Coop.

Steam Community :: Outlawz7 :: Workshop Items

[R-DEV]Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
MaSSive

Meh he used a lot of setvehicleinit for spawned stuff and addaction, which would require to switch all that to BIS_FNC_MP, and that is not very good performance wise. Simply it needs to be rewritten in custom functions or modules, or it would be very laggy.

Also I dont like vanilla, and it would be good to have vanilla version on Altis and Stratis, and you know what do vanilla vehicles look like, and especially static weapons. Turns out to be an insurgency prototype vacation combat simulator, heh. But we shall figure out something.

I am quite busy lately with few other projects, so this one will have to wait. If you have any ideas how would it work ( for common mission code shared between all versions ) PM me, and we will talk about it.

CATA4TW!
― Otto von Bismarck
Old 06-28-2015, 11:56 PM   #5
MaSSive

Insurgency 3 is in closed alpha testing!

I guess patience is a virtue, and eventually it pays off if you are patient enough. Thanks to @Outlawz and Ruthberg ( CSE and now ACE3 mod team ) mission is breathing new air, totally rewritten from ground up, although lacking some functionality which A2 version had, which will not even be possible in A3 in current state, and those being primarily ambient civilians.

We got the base code running, showing excellent results, and as such mission is qualified for some alpha testing. SO anyone interested with large enough players base ( ~30 and up ) please contact me for details and files.

Files are not YET public, but will be once we finish alpha testing of the core, and make sure there are no any nasty bugs or performance issues. Once that is done, mission will be hosted publicly on Github, so anyone can collaborate and report issues as development goes on, and can freely fork our project and use it, modify it and share on, since mission will be licensed under APL-SA while some artwork, like logo, banners and other art related stuff might be licensed differently, since they are being designed by a professional designer.

Current features:
  • Dynamic AI handling - with performance in mind our garbage collector does the magic
  • AI group patrols and behavior fueled by Kronzky UPS
  • Dynamic base start location - you will never start at the same position
  • HC support and auto detection ( up to 3 currently )
  • Custom island support no matter missing world size and centerpos
  • Custom detection of valid buildings for AI and cache spawning, without whitelisting and blacklisting
  • Custom HQ composition
  • Custom vehicle spawning, respawning, and abandoned vehicle check
  • Ability to mobilize HQ and redeploy
  • Virtual Arsenal available at MHQ ( might be changed in future )
  • no mods requirements
  • cache protection from random destruction ( cache can be destroyed by anything but small arms fire, but will still be protected slightly against nearby LG and artillery fire )
  • mod support - currently if chosen from mission parameters RHS USF3 support, and LOP supported
  • can be played with any mod - highly customizable
  • easily portable to any island - currently supported Arma3 islands, AIATP Takistan and Zargabad, and with support of AIATP Al Fallujah, FATA and Kunduz

And I probably missed something, but you should sign up for closed alpha and see yourself. We do expect your feedback, so keep in mind that we might ask your server/client rpt and some server related setup parameters if the issue occurs.

Currently worked on features:
  • HQ composition and better terrain detection for HQ deployment
  • Custom respawn with spectator camera ( group only ) and MenuPosition respawn
  • Constant AI tweaking and optimizing
  • Vehicle Service point
  • New banners logo's and other artwork

Planned features:
  • HQ mobilize request approval/denial by SL/TL from team members
  • IED and VBIED spawning randomly across island
  • ECM for vehicles to fight IED threats
  • Insurgents random island vehicle patrols
  • Insurgents vehicle patrols in the vicinity of spawned caches
  • Insurgent tweaking to make them act more aggressively if players detected close to caches
  • Custom loadouts based on the role
  • Custom vehicle loadouts
  • Making opfor side playable eventually
  • Better mod detection and support
  • Eventual dedicated ACE3 version

Testing rules apply as follows:

- no files redistribution or publishing, they will be available once published on Github
- must have community with at least 30 players available for private test session
- must own dedicated server with access to server logs and setup files

Note: Since mission is not yet public, we cant utilize issue tracker for collecting feedback, so feedback will go to this topic or private chat.

What do we want to know:

- How many players attended session?
- Were you using HC and how it handled in case of disconnect and reconnect?
- Were players actually able to see AI spawning or despawning?
- What were your mission parameters ( make screenshot of it )
- Was there any problem with HQ mobilizing or deployment?
- Is advanced cache destruction effect ok, do you like it or not?
- Were there too many static elements?
- Were there any server/client performance issues at all?
- ANY errors you encountered either by using -showscripterrors as a start parameter or reading trough the server/clients rpt and logs

Additional notes:

Mission is in the early alpha stage, so some features are still missing from the Arma2 version, but make no mistake we will be adding the most important ones, as we go. And even more beyond!

It cannot be played in hosted environment! It is not designed to be played like that, and probably never will work in that way. Either use SP or dedicated server.

Check and tweak/test mission parameters, and do not forget to turn off debug in mission parameters once you start live testing!

If mission is taking any longer than 10 seconds from the briefing screen to setup - meaning island grids turned red, and HQ position is set to random location with vehicles spawned, something is wrong. It may happen with some poorly optimized mods, so take that into account while testing.

We added experimentally mod support for RHS USF3 and Leihts Opfor Pack, it has been tested with ace3 and we see no problems so far. Alive and other advanced AI mods might not be compatible, while mods like ASR AI3 are recommended.

Suggested to be played in at least Veteran or even better Elite difficulty level.

Sign up by contacting me here, add me on Steam, trough BI Forum, or other means ( see my profile on the forums )

You can also find me on ACE3 public Slack if you are already there.

Mission developers:

- Outlawz7 initial development
- Ruthberg complete rewriting from ground up

Scripts used:

This mission only uses excellent Kroznky UPS 2.2

Current status: A3 version is in Alpha testing phase

Communities applied so far:

- AhoyWorld
- Theseus-Aegis
- Veterans Gaming
- Greek Arma Community - Arma3.gr
- 29th Infantry Division
- [OD-S] Operational Detachment Sierra
- 11th MEU

Thank you for joining and helping development!

- Insurgency project home
- Insurgency 3 project @ Github ( coming soon )
- Swedge's Sneaky Bastard Insurgency guide
- Insurgency 3 @ BI Forums

@moderators: Please change topic title to Insurgency 3 or split this post and make new one if needed.

CATA4TW!
― Otto von Bismarck
Last edited by MaSSive; 06-29-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Tags
hell, insurgency, revival