project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
24 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY Send a message via Skype™ to lucky.BOY
Default Re: GLTD's

How many Harriers are you planning to have in air at once, Rhino? If one of them is fitted with LGBs while other 2-3 have dummies, it think it will be good.

Also, werent GLTDs back then those bigass clunky things, with even tripods i believe? What about making them "deployed", like sniper rifles?

brainstormin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
How many Harriers are you planning to have in air at once, Rhino? If one of them is fitted with LGBs while other 2-3 have dummies, it think it will be good.
For the main mode I'm currently thinking something like 1 GR3 with 2x 1000lb LGBs (+ cannons) and then very possibly 1 more GR3 with either dumb bombs or rocket pods but I don't really want to give the brits too much CAS with the carrier etc being so close to the islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
Also, werent GLTDs back then those bigass clunky things, with even tripods i believe? What about making them "deployed", like sniper rifles?

brainstormin
Dunno what they where like bk then but sounds about right but something possibly to look into for future release as its pretty low priority.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 04-22-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Varok

I can't wait to try this.
Varok is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #14
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

All I could find with an older type GLTD....

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #15
Doc.Pock

Very real...

but ye thats about how they looked back then. Maybe recon class has an option to have either radio or gltd. Afaik radios were big back then too?

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #16
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I know but all I could find although he's a respected military painter.
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #17
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Here is the one used in the Falklands: 1982 | 2627 | Flight Archive

Another pic of it:

Not that much different in terms of size from the GTLD we have ingame, other than its on a tripod and the base of it has a keyboard with an LCD

Although according to that article above, Laser Designators where not as common as I thought, with only 8 deployed to the Falklands, with 2 of them being lost in a chopper crash and only used in 2 attacks near the end of the war.

As such I'm tempted to reconsider the amount of LGBs and GTLDs I'm going to put ingame. Right now thinking of only giving the GTLDs to British Snipers (possibly Argentinian too, although they wont get LGBs) and have 1x Harrier GR3 with 2x 1000lb LGBs with a very long, delayed, spawn time.

This way only a few players will have GTLDs, and LGBs wont be nearly as common, but still present

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #18
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I agree Rhino at that time it was mainly SNEB rocket attacks. As it says in No 1 squadron diaries, and that great article, they only achieved 2 DH dead hits. I'd be surprised if they dropped 6 in total and with all the problems with the first drops none hit. However if the war would have continued even a week I suspect it would have been raining paveways.

Although the problem we have is that comparatively speaking PR's AA and operators will have more success than was achieved by the defenders in the Falklands. If CAS is having to get low down and dirty with the present set up they won't last long.

In game the aircraft are too damn slow to compared to IRL (I know why).

Options: less or no AA deployable or kit
or reduce defectiveness of AA

Good find for the old GLTD but that tripod is just one to display it - it's way too big.
Last edited by PLODDITHANLEY; 04-27-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
Although the problem we have is that comparatively speaking PR's AA and operators will have more success than was achieved by the defenders in the Falklands. If CAS is having to get low down and dirty with the present set up they won't last long.

In game the aircraft are too damn slow to compared to IRL (I know why).

Options: less or no AA deployable or kit
or reduce defectiveness of AA
Your only thinking of current map View Distances (VDs) which is max of around 1km. With much higher VDs, which I hope to have a 3km one on this map, current AA missiles only have a range of ~900ms iirc, meaning the AA is going to have to wait for a much longer time before they can engage.

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
LongHairedHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Your only thinking of current map View Distances (VDs) which is max of around 1km. With much higher VDs, which I hope to have a 3km one on this map, current AA missiles only have a range of ~900ms iirc, meaning the AA is going to have to wait for a much longer time before they can engage.
Right, time to practice bombing, and releasing payload 1km from target

LongHairedHuman is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
falklands, gltd