project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Vietnam General Discussion > PR:V Suggestions
24 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:V Suggestions Suggestions from our community members.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Default Things needed

Yay, vietnam was released, and it's pretty neat, we can all agree. I'm very proud of the PR team for putting together these nice maps, and all the work that went into the new kits geometries, vehicles, etc. The current content implemented is of high quality, and I have enjoyed it thus far. But, we all know this is the initial release, so there are a few oversights, missing items, or things that should be implemented in the future.

-NVA grenadier class
This is a pretty pointless class. It's basically a crewman with 2 frags. The regular rifleman is better equipped by any standard. SImply give it 4 frags, 3 RKGs, 3 smoke grenades, and 3 incendiary, and this gives it some usability.

-Air Vehicles
Although the holographic HUD that comes with modern aircraft wasnt around during the vietnam war, pilots did have instruments to tell altitude, attitude, remaining gun ammunition, active throttle, etc. I suggest that a way of telling these things is added, simply removing the incredibly useful HUD makes it less realistic and pilots more prone to crashing. ALso, the helicopters dont seem to display the remaining crates correctly.

-NVA AA vehicle
I was testing this thing, and overall it's a little unpolished. Firstly, it's rather impossible to drive properly, as their is no way to really know what direction your vehicle is actually pointing. Secondly, the weapon itself is rather strange. It cant zoom, which I find strange. If the real vehicle cant zoom, then leave it as is, but as of now it's hard to use properly with no zoom. Secondly, is the damage. The thing does absolutely no damage to lightly armoured, or unarmoured vehicles like a logi, or M113, however it has a really large blast radius, so against infantry it's useful. It's just kind of counterintuitive to the size of the weapon. Instead of giving it silly damage specifications, it can be balanced in other ways. Make it slower, with a slow turning turret. It can be destructive as hell against light armour, infantry, and air, but if it's slow, and poorly armoured it will not be overpowered, exactly like a real heavy AA vehicle. The AA vehicle, curiously drops ammo, too.

-ALt sniper
Implementing an M40, as an alt sniper for the USMC would be nice.

-Combined arms map.
I didn't expect this right off the bat, but I hope it happens eventually. The biggest map right now is a 2x2km, and the assets right now are fairly light. Various vehicles like the T55, M48 patton, AH-1, F8, mig21, mi8, and chinook would be very fun, and unique to operate on a jungle 4x4km map. For example the older tanks, with their primitive optics, would make for some more interesting tank fights, the older fighters would be more gun vs. gun fights, something we dont see normally in PR, and the older AH-1 would be rather unique with 20mm guns pods, grenade launchers, etc on attack helicopters. About half of these vehicles are already in pr already. ALso, flamethrower tanks.

-Insurgency
Again, another feature I didnt expect right away, but hope to see. The vietcong's arms are pretty much already in the game, perhaps new player models, and a new map is what is needed.

What else do you guys think are the necessary things for pr 'nam?
Last edited by 40mmrain; 04-07-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
TylerakaSyn
Default Re: Things needed

It needs more of a wet jungle setting, as of right now, these maps feel like it could be Russia for all we know.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerakaSyn View Post
It needs more of a wet jungle setting, as of right now, these maps feel like it could be Russia for all we know.
Sort of, the map with the skyraider, I forget it's name does feel a bit Yamalia, and kozelsk-ish with the fields, and small bases. However, the other new map, tad sae, and barracuda are unmistakably south east asian jungle.

Im hopeful that newer maps include lots of rivers, because that new US mk.2 PBR has awesome firepower, along with some armour, and agility. Give it a bit of zoom on the guns and it could be used for some fire support, or ford defense/offense.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40mmrain View Post
-marksman class
The NVA used the SVD, and the US marines used the M40A1, the US army used the R700, yes? All of those weapons are either already in PR, or have easily reusable sounds, and animations from their slightly more modern versions. American marksman could be scoped m14, and the snipers as bolt action.
A marksman class is not needed, and not going to happen. Squad level designated marksmen were not an organizational concept used by anyone (that I know of) during the Vietnam war. Snipers did not even have a solid, official organization until later in the war for the US Army; there was no standardization in training, unit integration weapon or equipment until about 1970. Even the Marines were still ironing out their integration of snipers into the battalion and lower echelons, but they were still leaps ahead of the Army.

The SVD should not appear in PR:V. I have found no confirmation of any being encountered in Vietnam pre-1975. The primary weapon used by VC and NVA snipers was the scoped K44 (MN).
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Eddie Baker View Post
A marksman class is not needed, and not going to happen. Squad level designated marksmen were not an organizational concept used by anyone (that I know of) during the Vietnam war. Snipers did not even have a solid, official organization until later in the war for the US Army; there was no standardization in training, unit integration weapon or equipment until about 1970. Even the Marines were still ironing out their integration of snipers into the battalion and lower echelons, but they were still leaps ahead of the Army.

The SVD should not appear in PR:V. I have found no confirmation of any being encountered in Vietnam pre-1975. The primary weapon used by VC and NVA snipers was the scoped K44 (MN).
I see. I was thinking more for using the marksman class as a means of putting the M40 in the game, really.

Ill edit me post.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Pvt.LHeureux
Project Normandy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40mmrain View Post
However, the other new map, tad sae, and barracuda are unmistakably south east asian jungle.
"New map"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.LHeureux View Post
"New map"
is dien duong not original or something?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
Pvt.LHeureux
Project Normandy Contributor

Well.

Tad Sae was in 0.8
Barracuda is there since 0.8
Dien Duong is Fools Road Vietnamesed

So the only TRUE new map is IA Drang.

It doesn't remove the fact that those maps are still awesome AND that Dien Duong doesn't play ANYTHING like Fools Road, only the minimap looks like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.

Tags
needed, things