project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Vietnam General Discussion
24 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:Vietnam General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Vietnam modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
Hitman.2.5
Default Re: PR:V aircraft and their roles

a vietnam map with out Fixed wing and rotary wing would be like the second world war without the germans and the japs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0nbuggy1 View Post
I want to see puff and the other gunship, thier tracer rounds will look amazing.
U mean like the AC-119 or the 130?

Derpist
Hitman.2.5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
Snazz
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman.2.5 View Post
a vietnam map with out Fixed wing and rotary wing would be like the second world war without the germans and the japs...
Infantry jungle combat would be like fighting Italians?
Snazz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
TheOldBreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazz View Post
BTW B-52s at least during Vietnam were still primarily long range strategic bombers, so they make no sense in PRV.
i beg to differ lad.
TheOldBreed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
Hitman.2.5

Quote:
Infantry jungle combat would be like fighting Italians?
no because the Vietnamese dont change sides at half time like the Iti's

Derpist
Hitman.2.5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
TheOldBreed

i can see an arc light strike being an area attack. yeah, it'll cover more area, but it'd be sick and 'life like'. think a whole load of PR style JDAMs in a row haha
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
Snazz
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldBreed View Post
i beg to differ lad.
In that case you're welcome to elaborate on why you think strategic bombing raids fit in to PR game play.
Snazz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #17
TheOldBreed

Quote:
In that case you're welcome to elaborate on why you think strategic bombing raids fit in to PR game play.
no i mean they were used for tactical bombing in Vietnam as well. see things like: Operation Niagara
Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #18
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldBreed View Post
no i mean they were used for tactical bombing in Vietnam as well. see things like: Operation Niagara
During Op. Niagara B52s were used to attack the rear echalons (speicifically fixed positions such as ammo dumps) of an NVA formation consisting of three divisions sauce. Not exactly CAS now, is it?

Arclite raids were not used in direct support of troops - they were not precise enough for that. They were typically used to attack an area before allied troops arrived and tactical aircraft (F4, A4, A1, etc) were used to provide close support, not strategic bombers.

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #19
TheOldBreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Bob_Marley View Post
During Op. Niagara B52s were used to attack the rear echalons (speicifically fixed positions such as ammo dumps) of an NVA formation consisting of three divisions sauce. Not exactly CAS now, is it?

Arclite raids were not used in direct support of troops - they were not precise enough for that. They were typically used to attack an area before allied troops arrived and tactical aircraft (F4, A4, A1, etc) were used to provide close support, not strategic bombers.
true, not in the sense of "call it in hot, real close", close air as displayed in what most people will know as 'We Were Soldiers'. At Khe Sanh, the surrounding hill battles and others such as at Ripcord, arc light strikes were available every three hours, and if one was in the air, they could be redirected accordingly if someone needed them (p. 409 of Valley of Decision explains how a Col. Lownds jumped on the horn and called in a strike on troop movement he was observing). Close-in B52 strikes were an accepted tactic, the closest was 1,100m of friendly positions(p. 416). i'd say that's pretty close air considering the ordnance they carried

B52s were used in a strategic sense during Linebacker I & II, that's the defintion of strategic bombing, hitting industry, government, population.
The use of the B52 on the battlefield level, ie interdiction and close support, is considered tactical usage. In the end, it was a strategic aircraft used for tactical purposes.

Because this has got retardly off-topic, in terms of PRV, an arc light strike can be used as replacement for a JDAM as it is now. let's face it, who calls in a JDAM now less than 1000m away. a 500lbs or napalm canister could be used as an area attack, but an aircraft that flies in and drops it will have to be made, as it couldn't be dropped from 15 miles away a JDAM can.(not telling anyone what to do, but just sayin)

all these words could have gone into my dissertation proposal so i'm heading off haha

Valley of Decision: The Siege of Khe Sanh: Amazon.co.uk: John Prados, Ray W. Stubbe: Books it's a sick book.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #20
Elektro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman.2.5 View Post
no because the Vietnamese dont change sides at half time like the Iti's
Meh, we have food, wine and football. Who cares which side we are on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Elektro is online now Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft, prv, roles