project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Vietnam General Discussion
23 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:Vietnam General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Vietnam modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Wakain

Default Re: A bit too much racism on the servers

Dudes relax, I don't know what 'ting tong' and the like mean but in general calling players on the NVA team Gooks and Charlie and vice versa Imperialist pigs is just echoing things one's heard on tv or read in books. It's a sort of joking and generally offers just a bit of immersion. I mean, in most rounds I've played the americans just floundered about bombing shite and playing tunes, purple haze jokes, you know, people like their immersion.

Most of these jokes that might be offensive refer to political enitities that don't exist anymore (being North as well as South Vietnam, "Evil Empire" Cold War America)

Calling random racial slurs that don't have anything to do with the Vietnam war lore is bad though, m'kay.

edit: Reading back I conclude I concur with Tarra "prv-omnipresent" huana and Smiddey.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
Human_001

Some do it for racist reason and some for role play.
I Personally think rasist-like expression within game and within roleplay is ok because it really "spice things up", because it is realistic.
However, I do Understand when people say even that is offensive.

I also see trend in US that people are more sensitive towards racism to Black people than racism towards Asian, Latino etc, and I think this is because of politics in US. So I guess for some people there's less barrier when it comes to making racist like comment towards Asians, in this case China/Vietnam.

I see 2 different types of racist. 1 Racist because they are of different race. and 2 Racist because of a War and Politics.

On real-life note, in School I went a History teacher (or least one I learned from) taught us although US lost the war officially, we actually won the war because we killed more Vietcong than US soldiers got killed. The heavy part of that story is that there was Vietnamese exchange student in that classroom.

And as for me I believe that racist are minority and majority of people are informed, tolerant, and compassionate. Even if that is not true.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Smiddey723

Send a message via MSN to Smiddey723 Send a message via Yahoo to Smiddey723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human_001 View Post
On real-life note, in School I went a History teacher (or least one I learned from) taught us although US lost the war officially, we actually won the war because we killed more Vietcong than US soldiers got killed.
Oh and let me guess your from America?

Well i got news for you son, you lost the war, you didnt in anyway win it

By that logic Germany won WWII

EDIT: Also
Quote:
You can kill ten of my men for every one I kill of yours, but even at those odds, you will lose and I will win.
--Ho Chi Minh to the French, late 1940s

.:2p:.Smiddey
Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
Swedge
Forward Outposts 'R' Us
Supporting Member

Smile Re: A bit too much racism on the servers

I haven't yet played PR BF2 but am familiar with the broader issue in gaming.

I understand the arguments about casual gameplay, twisted humour, good-natured teasing, roleplay immersion, and political correctness, but I imagine a reasonable person might reasonably take offense sometimes, particularly when you think about all the international backgrounds on most servers, and when you think about people's families and long personal histories, etc. That this might discourage those players from playing anymore, would be a real loss to any community. It's just not cool.

As Oscar Wilde said, "A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."

Cheers,
Swedge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swedge's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Mayr's
Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Acemantura

Send a message via Skype™ to Acemantura

Pyrrhic victories are stupid.

Quote:
"We won!"

"There is no one left"

"So!?! WE WON!?!"

As for Rande
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeDANDE View Post
I was playing at 2 AM in the CIA Vietnam server. There was a CIA member as squad leader and another guy in the squad was saying "Come one you n-word plural hurry the f up". Then as we were on the NVA side, he kept shouting "Ching chong ting a long ding dong" and I was surprised squad leader didn't say anything but actually joined him. I kept quite as I just wanted to get one match in and wasn't in the mood of getting kicked out of squad to tell the to shut up and just play.
Players on my server are allowed to be as racist and as ignorant as they want, we run a free speech server, so this must be taken into a account.

However, My members are not so freely able to speak and if racist comments or anything coming out of a player's input "Disrupt's Gameplay," in any way...IN ANY WAY...we will be happy to remove that person from the server.

As for our members, if they are a little racist or a little disruptive, they get the boot. Our members are not allowed to be racist and to express their ignorance. Be sure to report an offending member at our forum @ CIAGaming.org

As for our server name and settings, if you haven't noticed already, we make our servers as sexual as possible. So going back to the Vietnam War Era, "Sucky Sucky 1 Darrah," seems appropriate.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
pr0Life

"Ching chong ding dong" is offensive because it's not even specific to the Vietnam War. It reminds me of my elementary school experience. "Gook" is a carry over from Korea. I don't know about "hajji" or "towelheads" but towelhead sounds much nastier and refers to many more people than the insurgents and Taliban.

I don't think a player can set off an IED without saying Allah ackbar. Saying "Banzai!" would definitely be racist,... wrong war and wrong enemy.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
Gunslinger1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddey723 View Post
Oh and let me guess your from America?

Well i got news for you son, you lost the war, you didnt in anyway win it

By that logic Germany won WWII

EDIT: Also
Yea and I believe we kicked america's ass in 1812 even thought they say they won because "They killed more" But in reality WE burned down there white house WE pushed them PASTED new york in 1812 basically America fight wars that they cannot win/finish I'm surprised Korea didn't send there nukes over to america yet and we all know america is scared of Korea. Cuz number 1. No one knows about them ( Americans are banned and get shot on sight and everyone else is "Unwelcome") and 2. They would probably fight to the last man unlike the Americans.

Noddy - user was given a warning for o/t post (yes I failed but have requested that the color gets changed to yellow)
Last edited by [R-MOD]IINoddyII; 04-12-2012 at 03:40 AM..
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Gentlemen

stfu about who won what, you all sound like idiots; I don't care who is right at this point.

racism sucks, it detracts from the game

I don't roleplay PR, I play for the adrenaline rush, the teamwork and the unforgiving yet exciting gameplay dynamics, so I just don't understand how using words like gook etc adds to the game.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Qadis

Haha damn, get a grip guys, it's just people cracking jokes. If you don't like the jokes, ignore them like you would any other joke you don't funny. It's unreasonable for any adult to get upset over this shit. I laugh my ass off whenever someone imitates a paki accent while speaking English
Old 04-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Lordbaldur
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1127 View Post
Yea and I believe we kicked america's ass in 1812 even thought they say they won because "They killed more" But in reality WE burned down there white house WE pushed them PASTED new york in 1812 basically America fight wars that they cannot win/finish I'm surprised Korea didn't send there nukes over to america yet and we all know america is scared of Korea. Cuz number 1. No one knows about them ( Americans are banned and get shot on sight and everyone else is "Unwelcome") and 2. They would probably fight to the last man unlike the Americans.
well aren't you stupid

Noddy - user was warned for insulting other members
Last edited by [R-MOD]IINoddyII; 04-12-2012 at 03:43 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
bit, racism, servers