project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.87 Feedback Forum
22 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #11
SocketMan

Default Re: APC Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteMyre View Post

Also it seems that on Muttrah especially, a chopper is far more called upon then an APC. When a squad in the docks wants to move into the city, they rather call a chopper then call me (who was in an APC nearby).

To be honest:
LAVs should not be going into the city from the docks until infantry has cleared the road , otherwise your chances of getting HATed increase with every meter.Choppers on the other hand (assuming the pilots are adequate) have more options as far as movement is concerned.

Other maps I am all for filing up and using the APC's as Armored Personal Carriers.
The only thing that comes to mind is to get rid of support trucks and force people
to use APC's (or walk).
Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
wookimonsta
Supporting Member

i used to ask people to get in and i'd drive them. the simple fact is that most people dont WANT to ride in. This is because of three reasons:
a) i drive them as far as i dare so i don't explode with all of them in the back. Then the squad leader starts arguing with me that i should take him closer, and by the time we are done arguing, we are dead.

b) on urban maps, going on foot has a higher survival rate

c) on insurgency maps, 90% of the roads are mined or ied due to half of the insurgents being sappers.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
General_J0k3r
Send a message via ICQ to General_J0k3r

on city maps the APC should stay a little behind. infantry scouts ahead and calls in apc when needed. the apc can as well constrain enemy movements by covering a road (can be nicely done on karbala e.g.).

this high level of coordination is rarely to be found though.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
R.J.Travis
Supporting Member

the sapper kit needs to be limited or given a crapper gun to make it less wanted half a team being one kit that is OP is a problem

Twisted Helix: Yep you were the one tester that was of ultimate value.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
nf9648

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J.Travis View Post
the sapper kit needs to be limited or given a crapper gun to make it less wanted half a team being one kit that is OP is a problem
I think a iron sight SKS is crap enough, if it had a scope then it would be unfair.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #16
jeeao

Lol, noone uses APC for transport. People wanna kill stuff.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #17
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post
The only thing that comes to mind is to get rid of support trucks and force people
to use APC's (or walk).
LOL, this is not down to the infantry to decide whether they use APCs or not, it is down to the APC driver. You think most of us would walk on huge maps if we could simply take an APC to get close enough to the battle? Of course, but the fact is, most of the guys who drive APCs just want to kill something easily and don't bother going back to pick up infantry, hence why they are in an armored vehicle with a big gun on the top which they plan to use. Come on guys, just because it is called "Armored PERSONAL CARRIER" doesn't mean people are going to use it for only that. It's just like the HAT. Half the time, they are used against infantry rather than just armor.

Plain simple fact is, transporting troops back and forth in an APC just isn't fun, especially when they know they have a .50cal or turrent on top built for killing infantry. The reason why chopper transports work is because they are actually fun to transport troops with and have no weapons on them (China/MEC exception). Flying around is a completely different feeling than driving around. You don't get satisfaction from driving around lol.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #18
Titan

Quote:
just because it is called "Armored PERSONAL CARRIER"
huh.. I thought it was the "amored PEOPLE CILLER"
Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
sakils2
Banned

Hundreds of times I have been in APC/trans squad asking squads do they need transport or support. Guess what they answered? Not now. I'm kinda busy walking to the other side of the map...
Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Tannhauser

It depends. When I play maps relatively large with only small urban zones, APCs fill a transport role more than anything. However, if there is nothing stronger than the APC on the map, it'll quickly turn into an IFV (the mini-tank syndrome) because it'll be required more as a fire-support role than protective-transport role.

On maps like Muttrah, APCs act more like IFVs because the is nothing wheeled or tracked, stronger than them. However, on Kashan, Fools road, Kozelsk or quiling, they'll work as APCs in order to safely transport troops because of the presence of far stronger opponents (Tanks).

I've seen very few instances of effective Blitzkrieg armored transports where APCs will fit both the role of APC and IFV (transporting mechanized infantry then give heavy fire support). This requires lots of coordination and communication.
I've only seen such a thing on Combined Ops maps like Kashan or Quiling and on Insurgency maps like Al Basrah (one of the first DEVs+mumble night on TCombat heh)

The only way to make APCs fill more their role is to make them afraid of filling a mini-tank role and make them think they'll be useless/weak without infantry (Insurgency/Capping spots on Kashan/Qinling) and too weak to have ground supremacy (tanks will own you)

«Hollywood jackasses who insist on spending seriously huge amounts of money to make films that even my cat won't watch. And he'll happily sit in the bathroom and watch me shit.»
- [R-DEV]Masaq

Tags
apc, transport