project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.87 Feedback Forum
20 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #41
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: 3 enemy close to RP = RP destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SoldierofFortune00 View Post
That's teh problem, it usually isn't 10% of their team, its just 3 random enemies that may not even be in the same squad,
32 = 100%
3.2 = 10%

the enemy aren't gonna not work together just because they aren't in the same squad (HOPEFULLY ANYWAY!)

RPs aren't about stealth, unless you are putting them in a stealthy position, they are a metaphor, a gameplay facilitator
Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #42
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
32 = 100%
3.2 = 10%

the enemy aren't gonna not work together just because they aren't in the same squad (HOPEFULLY ANYWAY!)
LOL, I don't know what team you are working on, but people not in my squad (and sometimes even in my squad) do the stupidest things and usually don't work together. 3 random friendlies in the same area isn't promoting teamwork or actually "pushing reinforcements back" because they could be just passing through for all we know and the RP disappears because of it. I have witnessed this ingame on my side plenty of times. I had a pilot drop me and 1 other person off, the pilot got out of the chopper, and an enemy RP 50M away disappeared. You call that teamwork lol?

Quote:
RPs aren't about stealth, unless you are putting them in a stealthy position, they are a metaphor, a gameplay facilitator

It doesn't make sense if they are a metaphor because they can be put in absurd places that reinforcements would never be able to reach IRL. They are simply meant as an alternative to SL respawns, flag respawns, and to keep the game fun so we don't all have to respawn back at main. If you want to make a "realistic" respawn point, then we would only have firebases.

By trying to "define" them, you are making the game too "elitist" rather than fun. Hell, I could make an argument for why you shouldn't even be able to place an RP within 50-100M of a flag zone in the first place, even if it is clear because it is technically a hostile zone and you wouldn't get inserted into a hostile zone when there is clear zone 100M away.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 AM   #43
viper759

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrankosuave View Post
Another thing, this idea that your rally is "overrun" by 3 of the enemy is not too realistic, especially if I have all five of my squadmates around me when I place a rally. What are we saying here, that the 3 unaware bumbling enemy soldiers overran my squad of 6 stealty navy seals?
was your squad of 6 soldiers defending their rally?

you can always leave one of your navy seals to kill all 3 bumbling enemies before they get close.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #44
clueless_noob

The idea of rally points, if I've understand it correctly, is to be the spot where reinforcements arrive, drop their unneeded gear and head for the battle. Soldier spawning at a rally is not the same guy who died on the field a few moments ago, but a fresh grunt sent from home base to help you. This means, that the reinforcements must have safe path from home base barracks to all the way up to your rally point.

If you think rallies from this point of view you might understand why a rally can be overrun and why it cannot be placed into too hot areas. If there is three or more enemies in less than 50 meters away from the rally point, it's highly unlikely that your reinforcements will ever get there alive and unharmed.
Last edited by clueless_noob; 11-19-2008 at 09:14 AM..
Old 11-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #45
LudacrisKill

I dont mind the rally idea apart from when its used on maps like Muttrah. If your squad is in a building and you have a rally inside/ontop the enemy sqd just needs to get under you and jst slowly pick you out one by one.

Which shortens my favorite style of combat, rooftop combat. I love nothing more than trying to clear out a occupied building or defending a building.

However with the new rally point system, these battles are very short and somtimes fustrating.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #46
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudacrisKill View Post
I dont mind the rally idea apart from when its used on maps like Muttrah. If your squad is in a building and you have a rally inside/ontop the enemy sqd just needs to get under you and jst slowly pick you out one by one.

Which shortens my favorite style of combat, rooftop combat. I love nothing more than trying to clear out a occupied building or defending a building.

However with the new rally point system, these battles are very short and somtimes fustrating.
Sounds like you want to prevent the enemy sniping your guys...

in this situation the rally point system is favouring the team that has you pinned from marksmen positions while at the sometime sending a fireteam to smoke you out.

edit- i forgot to make my point, the enemy are using superior tactics, don't punish them for it

gotta watch those approaches, if my squad is pinned, in the back of my head I know that they are about to come up those stairs

I like taking and holding buildings too, when I was on T&T we spend around 1/2 hour hiding in the shower when the enemy BTRs came to get us while we were screaming at the cobra that we need help.

But think about it, if you have a rally point in that building, and keep spawning off it despite being sniped and despite the enemy fireteam coming up, then you are straying in to vBF2 combat with people spawning here there and everywhere just...because, it feels random and arbitrary and worse, you'll probably lose another 5 tickets or so trying to find that sniper when you should have just took cover/moved back after informing the relevant parties of your situation (the shower is good place to hide )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rudd; 11-19-2008 at 02:16 PM..
Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #47
Robbi
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Robbi Send a message via Skype™ to Robbi

We all know about your shower antics in muttrah Rudd, but yer, rally points are rally points, not to be confused with spawn points :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #48
Harrod200

My 1337 uber solution:

When 3 enemies are within 30m, 'disable' the RP; it still exists but like a half-built bunker it can't be spawned on (red dot). If the enemy are repelled, the spawn reactivates and allows the squad to regroup and GTFO of there. If the squad is crushed, their rally is easy stabbing meat.

That incorporates old-school RP hunting (fun), but also eliminates the endless line of enemy troops coming from it, and the frustration of losing your RP when a squad of enemies wanders past oblivious to your presence; you may not be able to spawn for a while but if they don't know you're there, the RP reactivates and all is well.

RP knifed = 2 minute 'overrun' wait. Cannot deploy RP when 3 hostiles within 30m.

I see no down sides.

The original gun freak gaymer geek

Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #49
Epim3theus

That sounds good.

If you can read this the bitch fell off.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #50
frrankosuave

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper759 View Post
was your squad of 6 soldiers defending their rally?

you can always leave one of your navy seals to kill all 3 bumbling enemies before they get close.
First of all, given the current deviation system + tracers, leaving a single soldier to defend is a lost cause. Good luck killing the approaching bumblers at +50 meters before they zero in on your "hidden" position where you are taking less than precise shots at them.

Secondly, it was already pointed out that Navy Seals are part of the Marines, but IRL aren't the Marine medic's really Navy Corpsmen? The point I was making was:
1. Navy Seal = Bad Azz Soldier = Jesse Ventura (a la Predator). What's the marine equivalent or are all marines supposed to be bad azzes? If you are in my squad, you are already thought to be a super person, that should have high self esteem.
2. If the bumbling enemies are already in bumbling proximity and I have 5 guys around, why should my spawn immediately disappear when there hasn't been a chance for engagement/overrun (that was described in the part you didn't quote. I described a "timer").

Perhaps there is a timer related to spawn overrunning after spawn placement. I dunno

Tags
close, destroyed, enemy