project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.87 Feedback Forum
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #21
Colt556
Default Re: 3 enemy close to RP = RP destroyed

Frankly, 50m is highly unrealistic. Whats the distance at which you can hear the rally? I think that should be the max distance for this. Because think about it, realisticly if your rally was behind a wall, in an alley or something. And you were all huddled there and an enemy squad was passing down the street, you could hide there and they'd pass right on by. There's no logical reason them simply walking by would mean you can't just sit there.

So if they are just passing by, but get too close to your rally, they'll hear it and go kill it, simulated by the rally self destructing as it does now. But 50 meters? Holy crap, that's absurdly retarded. On maps like Muttrah, you CAN'T place your rally 50m away from any travel route. You place it on a nice hidden alley-way, only to have a vodnik or something drive by and kill it, and now you can't rally for 2 minutes? How is that the least bit fair or realistic?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #22
gazzthompson

wait, we have rally points in RL?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
ReadMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzthompson View Post
wait, we have rally points in RL?
+1

I doubt this really needs to be stated but I'll do it anyways. RPs are not realistic! I don't know if your parents have told you about the Birds and the Bees, but grown men do not come from a pile of bags. The RP is simply a game mechanic to help buffer the fact that we're limited to 32 players per team, and speed up game play a bit.

Using RPs as a way to secretly spawn behind enemy lines is kinda lame, and I for one am happy that they've added a proximity destruction. I enjoy long, drawn-out firefights, but they shouldn't occur because two opposing rally points are right next to each other.

Blah blah blah, will this thread die please?

-REad
Old 09-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #24
Colt556

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadMenace View Post
+1

I doubt this really needs to be stated but I'll do it anyways. RPs are not realistic! I don't know if your parents have told you about the Birds and the Bees, but grown men do not come from a pile of bags. The RP is simply a game mechanic to help buffer the fact that we're limited to 32 players per team, and speed up game play a bit.

Using RPs as a way to secretly spawn behind enemy lines is kinda lame, and I for one am happy that they've added a proximity destruction. I enjoy long, drawn-out firefights, but they shouldn't occur because two opposing rally points are right next to each other.

Blah blah blah, will this thread die please?

-REad
Well going off your logic, if you get killed you should be kicked from the server. Since you can't respawn in real life. RP's are there to signify a large squad of men (Real life squads are more then 6 men, after all) regrouping in a relativly safe location. On virtually all PR maps there is no "behind enemy lines" especially in city maps. So a RP is simply the squad meeting up in a location to keep up the fight. It does NOT simulating new soldiers being brought into combat.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #25
ReadMenace

Quote:
+1
The RP is simply a game mechanic to help buffer the fact that we're limited to 32 players per team, and speed up game play a bit.

-REad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt556 View Post
Well going off your logic, if you get killed you should be kicked from the server. Since you can't respawn in real life. RP's are there to signify a large squad of men (Real life squads are more then 6 men, after all) regrouping in a relativly safe location. On virtually all PR maps there is no "behind enemy lines" especially in city maps. So a RP is simply the squad meeting up in a location to keep up the fight. It does NOT simulating new soldiers being brought into combat.
Yeah, I already went over that, as you can hopefully see now.
As for regrouping in a 'relatively' safe location, that would be at least 50m away from enemy combatants.
I was never suggesting that the DEVs should remove the RP system, just that the 50m kill is not this great injustice that people are making out to be.

-REad
Old 09-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #26
Threedroogs
Supporting Member

i havent had any problems with my RPs getting destroyed unless my squad is having to scramble because of the enemy (after i adjusted the way i used 'em from .75, of course). there are plenty of places on muttrah to keep RPs. if an area is too hot, drop the RP back 150m or so. the RPs are not meant to be forward spawnpoints anymore. if you try to use them that way, you will get frustrated cause it wont work. building bases in essential. if i have a good forward base to spawn from, i will be more aggressive in my RP placement. if i dont have that firebase or bunker, i will be VERY cautious with my RP placement. saying there is no area that's "behind enemy lines" is very foolish on the battlefield and is probably leading to your frustration. there are definitely battlelines a lot of times, although on insurgent maps it can be a bit unclear, the way it should be.

also, driving by an RP with a fully loaded car did not destroy an enemy RP in my one definite experience with it. we drove right by one that a passanger spotted. we stopped and got out of the vehicle and once 3 of us were within 50m i saw it dissappear. a fully loaded car drove within 10m of the RP and it didnt get destroyed (thankfully!).

Ingame name: StrkTm Pygar

Eggyweggs...I would like to smash 'em!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #27
ReadMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threedroogs View Post
also, driving by an RP with a fully loaded car did not destroy an enemy RP in my one definite experience with it. we drove right by one that a passanger spotted. we stopped and got out of the vehicle and once 3 of us were within 50m i saw it dissappear. a fully loaded car drove within 10m of the RP and it didnt get destroyed (thankfully!).
That's good to hear! No ANTI-RP patrolling.

-REad
Old 09-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #28
Colt556

Quote:
Yeah, I already went over that, as you can hopefully see now.
As for regrouping in a 'relatively' safe location, that would be at least 50m away from enemy combatants.
I was never suggesting that the DEVs should remove the RP system, just that the 50m kill is not this great injustice that people are making out to be.

-REad
A "relatively" safe location would be anywhere that the enemy can't find it, to be honest. That's why I prefer the old system, it was more realistic. I mean just because soldiers are in the area, doesn't mean they know you're in the area, and thus doesn't automaticly make rallying there un-safe. Ill-advised, maybe, but not inherently un-safe.

That's why 50m is FAR too much, the distance should be however far the sound travels. If you have no idea there's even a rally there, and your squad is just running by, then that area isn't compromized and still suitable for rallying.

A good compromise would be to extend the distance at which the rally's sound is heard, and make the kill-distance to match. 25m would be more fair, since at that distance a soldier has a better chance of finding a group of soldiers, then at 50m.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #29
Celestial1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt556 View Post
A "relatively" safe location would be anywhere that the enemy can't find it, to be honest. That's why I prefer the old system, it was more realistic. I mean just because soldiers are in the area, doesn't mean they know you're in the area, and thus doesn't automaticly make rallying there un-safe. Ill-advised, maybe, but not inherently un-safe.
If there are people with guns within 100m with guns looking for you, you're a dumb little duckling if you can't tell that's an unsafe situation. C'mon now, this isn't a hard concept to grasp. It's really not all that much of an issue.

In v0.75 rallies were HIDDEN. I don't mean 'up in the hills' I mean in a bush in the middle of a forest right next to the control point.

Or they were hidden in trees.

Or in the water.

And, if at this point you're still saying 'Yeah, but that's the point, Rally Points should be hidden and they can't be close to the flag anyway because they have to be placed 100m away' here's my response:

100 meters is, in all honesty, not far at all. Especially in the scope of PR. And you don't just 'Hide' a bunch of backpacks and guns, you make sure those are safe from people picking up YOUR equipment and YOUR weapons.

The new system is UNBELIEVABLE in how much flexibility it allows in such a simple design. Now, you can place your rally anywhere your little heart desires. You can place it directly on a flag that your team owns, if you'd like. Or, you can place it on an enemy flag. As long as they don't walk by it. Or, you can be tactical about your rally and really position it where it does not recieve a lot of traffic, and will allow you to grab your equipment and relay your plan to your squad before moving out.

50m is not that much to whine and cry about, you should stop dying so much.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
Colt556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
If there are people with guns within 100m with guns looking for you, you're a dumb little duckling if you can't tell that's an unsafe situation. C'mon now, this isn't a hard concept to grasp. It's really not all that much of an issue.

In v0.75 rallies were HIDDEN. I don't mean 'up in the hills' I mean in a bush in the middle of a forest right next to the control point.

Or they were hidden in trees.

Or in the water.

And, if at this point you're still saying 'Yeah, but that's the point, Rally Points should be hidden and they can't be close to the flag anyway because they have to be placed 100m away' here's my response:

100 meters is, in all honesty, not far at all. Especially in the scope of PR. And you don't just 'Hide' a bunch of backpacks and guns, you make sure those are safe from people picking up YOUR equipment and YOUR weapons.

The new system is UNBELIEVABLE in how much flexibility it allows in such a simple design. Now, you can place your rally anywhere your little heart desires. You can place it directly on a flag that your team owns, if you'd like. Or, you can place it on an enemy flag. As long as they don't walk by it. Or, you can be tactical about your rally and really position it where it does not recieve a lot of traffic, and will allow you to grab your equipment and relay your plan to your squad before moving out.

50m is not that much to whine and cry about, you should stop dying so much.
I rarely ever die, and I've never actually lost a RP, at all, let alone to enemies walking by. So this isn't me crying cuz I'm losing, I just find it unrealistic and too much. I don't mind the system, and I rather like it, but 50m is simply too friggen long. You can have your rally nice and safe in an alley-way out of the way, and then 3 soldiers walk down a street two blocks over and you lose your bloody rally, how is that fair? All I want is the range decreased to something remotely realistic and fair.

Tags
close, destroyed, enemy