project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.87 Feedback Forum
23 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq
Default Commander Changes - Feedback

This thread is for discussing:

Changes to Commanders.

All feedback, thoughts and suggestions should be posted in this thread. Posts made elsewhere may be moved into this one or deleted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq
Default Re: Commander Changes

Guys:

This forum is for FEEDBACK. It's for "This works well, I like it" and "This isn't so great, I don't like it" and the like.

It's for providing the Devs with feedback on how gameplay works - is it slower than 0.75, is it quicker, are any maps unbalanced, are any of the new weapons too weak or too powerful, etc etc.

You just CANNOT provide feedback until you have experienced the new version. Otherwise it's the blind leading the blind!

So please, hold off on posting your innermost thoughts on the new commander changes until you have been a commander in 0.8 for a whole shedload of rounds!

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -

Old 08-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Thread cleaned of unwanted junk. That jusnk being opinions of something you haven't even played yet.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Old 08-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
[R-DEV]Deadfast
PR:A3 Lead Developer

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]Deadfast Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Deadfast

I like it.

Even though some sort of mobile CP vehicle might not be bad idea either

Old 08-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

ok now that games are starting, these forums will be open to feedback.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Old 08-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #6
DkMick

Definitely a mobile cp is in order. There are command and control variants of most (if not all) light armored vehicles. Stryker, LAV-C2, M113 (M557) on the US side, I'm sure similar on the other factions. I'd upload some pics, but after just crashing from .8, don't have the patience.

" border="0" />
In the absence of orders, find something and kill it
Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
unrealalex

I tried to play the commander on one round and was bored out of my mind after 5 minutes!
You're forced to sit in the command post. And if there's nothing to be said and no orders to be given you're reduced to watching moving dots on the map. You can't even go out and put help put down a firebase because you won't be able to communicate with your team.

This is more realistic yea, but it's also boring as hell. After 10 minutes I felt like some customer service rep sitting in a cubicle with a headset and helping people fix their internet connection...

Proposed solution:
Let the commander access his map in commander trucks as well as in the command post.
That way the commander can be mobile and not have to sit on his ass the whole game.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:55 AM   #8
LaXdAwG

I have to agree with unrealalex. I play commander a lot in PR and I was really disappointed with the changes. Staring at the map for a long period of time becomes tedious and almost a chore. While playing I noticed that the commander spot was left empty for the majority of games. Anyone who gave it a shot seemed to quickly retire from it. I believe that with the command post change and the ability to build fire bases without a commander has made the commander role a harder one to fill. It is kind of sad to see this happen since the commander plays a vital role with communicating intelligence and orders between squads. I would rather have the old system back, however, unrealalex's solution could somewhat help. There needs to be some balance between realism and fun.
Last edited by LaXdAwG; 08-30-2008 at 06:21 PM..
Old 08-30-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealalex View Post
I tried to play the commander on one round and was bored out of my mind after 5 minutes!
You're forced to sit in the command post. And if there's nothing to be said and no orders to be given you're reduced to watching moving dots on the map. You can't even go out and put help put down a firebase because you won't be able to communicate with your team.

This is more realistic yea, but it's also boring as hell. After 10 minutes I felt like some customer service rep sitting in a cubicle with a headset and helping people fix their internet connection...

Proposed solution:
Let the commander access his map in commander trucks as well as in the command post.
That way the commander can be mobile and not have to sit on his ass the whole game.

I agree. I would prefer it to go back to the old system of being able to move around and place Firebases/Bunkers of your own as CO, but if need be, just make it so he has to sit in a CO Truck while putting it down or something.

When I needed a CO truck brought up as a SL for a firebase, it took twice as long because I needed the CO to bring up a truck and then he had to drive back to the main for the CO Post.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
Old 08-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Waaah_Wah
Banned

Err... Its all fine and dandy unless you want to resign. Since you cant get up the commander screen when not in the CP, the resign button is not available

What would happend if someone blows up your CP?

Tags
commander, commanders, feedback, idea, misc, thread