project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
seb120
Default [Static] Mini Light house

This is for [RCON] Pleym's map. One is for on land and the other one is off shore.
References:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2...genfyrogly.jpg
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1...enfyr2007l.jpg

Im not trying to make the second larger one exactly like it is in the picture, just making it based of of it. I still have a few more things to add to the larger one.
Renders:

737 polys on the smaller one, 624 on the larger one.

Wireframe:
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/5115/wireframes.jpg

Im not sure what else to add on the smaller one, i'd like some advise on what you think would make it better. Crits are welcome .

Also, im not to sure about the ladder, if anything i want to replace it with the one already ingame but i dont know how to do that, or i will leave it out completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
seb120 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Doc.Pock

Default Re: [Static] Mini Light house

you give ladders and sutff in the editor as a child object. so just delete it

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
[R-DEV]pleym
PR:BF2 Developer

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]pleym Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]pleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Pock View Post
you give ladders and sutff in the editor as a child object. so just delete it
btw the ladders have to be 90* vertical, or it wont work.

PR:BF2 Mapper
[R-DEV]pleym is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Looks like a pretty good start, although on your big lighthouse, you should add more sides to your base, its currently very blocky for such a large object.

Also looks like you need to clean up your smoothing in some places, you might want to check this tut out: YouTube - ‪3D Studio's Max Smoothing Groups Tutorial‬‏

Also on your small lighthouse, the stands seem to have an extra edge in there which they don't look to need?

On the issue of ladders, you generally don't make custom ones as already stated and you certainly don't make them as part of the main model as you have done as like already stated, they are placed on the building via code as a child object, or in the level editor by the mapper (in this case, best to place them on as a child object, small tut on it here: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...n-statics.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]pleym View Post
btw the ladders have to be 90* vertical, or it wont work.
This is also correct, if you rotate a ladder from its default vertical state, very odd things will happen and that's not at all good.

There is how ever a way around having a slanted ladder like you want but without rotating it, much like I did with the Afghan v2 Ladders:

This can be archived by exporting the ladder at a slant, but keeping the col2 and col1 meshs vertical which ye looks a little odd as the ladder starts really close when you at the bottom and then the ladder gets further away as you climb up, as you are climbing up vertically, but you still get off the ladder in around abouts the right place although you can't have your ladder too slanted but I can't recall the limits, you would have to do some testing there.

Isn't very hard to export a ladder, they are just like a normal static but the code is a little different and you just assign the "ladder_front" col mesh to the col2 mesh, lods and the other col0 are pretty much the same.

I can't really give you much more feedback than that, for the reasons I just gave to Psyrus on his garage static.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautaFIN View Post
A tip about the lighting: Use "Skylight" with shadows enabled and 30 rays per sample instead of n+1 spotligths looks alot better. (Well, IMO atleast.)
This is actually a really bad tip tbh. Doing a skylight render ye makes everything look nice but that's because it softens up the model and hides all the errors so from a feedback POV its totally the opposite you want to be doing...

Please take note of this topic here on how you should present your model etc: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...de-assets.html

I can't really give you much more feedback as your model currently stands, although I don't think you need to model the hinges in this case as small ones like that will be 90% hidden and should also be on the texture and if they are not, they wont be missing. The reason why I modelled them on my shed was because shed ones are huge

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
seb120

Thanks for the help, ive been trying to find time to work on it, here is some small progress with the proper pictures

Wireframes:
left
front

Edged Faces:
left
front
back

other:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2862/noedges.jpg

Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
[R-DEV]pleym

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]pleym Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]pleym

Looks better for each day that goes

PR:BF2 Mapper
[R-DEV]pleym is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
seb120

Here is another small update (finally ). I've decided to make a spiral staircase for the "big" one:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
I don't think that the steps going into the main body of the tower looks too good, might change it.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
[R-DEV]AFsoccer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb120 View Post
I don't think that the steps going into the main body of the tower looks too good, might change it.
One thing I noticed is that the stairs don't seem like the same scale, and thus why they don't look right. You might want to try making them smaller and more of them and see if that helps.

[R-DEV]AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
PoisonBill
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to PoisonBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AFsoccer View Post
One thing I noticed is that the stairs don't seem like the same scale, and thus why they don't look right. You might want to try making them smaller and more of them and see if that helps.
I don't now what these oil containers are called, but it could the stairs could match pretty well.

PoisonBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
seb120

Thanks for the help, im changing it and adding a few things, i will post update in a few days(or next week because im going on vacation)

Tags
house, light, mini, static