project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
23 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Exclamation [Request] PR Vietnam - Mapping Appeal

With Project Reality Vietnam's release just around the corner we are struggling to get enough Vietnam themed maps to fill the void. As such, this is something that you can help us with. All of Project Reality's mappers have come from within the Project Reality community at one point or another and there is no reason why you can't do the same. All you need to do is learn the ropes of the BF2 Editor and develop a which is designed for PR gameplay up to our quality standards, which we will help you with as long as you are willing to work as part of a team and take on feedback.

This is an opportunity for you to give something back to the mod and to get your work seen and played by thousands of players from all around the world and for you to get into the Project Reality Team!

Where do I start?

If you're new to mapping and the BF2 Editor, your first port of call should be The Tutorials/Tools List which has everything you need to get you started and develop a complete map.

From there, you should try and plan out a map concept, which you may wish to post in this topic here, if you want some thoughts and opinions of the community on it, before you start developing your map.

Once you have started developing your map then you can post a topic in the Community Maps Forum. although before you do that you should read this topic and make note of its points.

From there just keep on developing your map while taking note of any feedback you get, especially from any PR team members. Once your work has progressed far enough and your showing the sort of attitude we look for in our team members by taking feedback etc then we will bring you into our team to get your map over the last though hurdles and into the mod!

Map Requirements

First you should read the standard PR Mapping Guidelines here: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f354...uidelines.html

On top of that, we are mainly looking for either 2km or 4km maps as we have plenty of 1km maps already.
For Vietnam maps, we would prefer if you re-created real battles based on real world locations, but we also do accept fictional maps as long as they have the right feel and have the right gameplay setup for PR.

Statics and Overgrowth

For the staticobjects and overgrowth you are free to use any of vBF2s and PR:BF2s statics (providing they are not listed in this topic) which look like they belong in Vietnam back in the 60s. This also includes the new Jungle Overgrowth, which we hope to be releasing shortly for your use within PR:BF2/PR:V.

As for staticobjects and overgrowth from Eve of Destruction, we have yet to sort through the statics to see which ones we can and can't use. Once we've done that, we will post up the ones you can use in a nice bundle. For now, you should concentrate on your terrain and other areas rather than your statics placement.

Factions

The current available factions are the US Army, Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army.
We hope to get the French and Australian forces available in the future, although they will be more focused on infantry and as of yet, are some way off.

As always, keep a desired factions and assets in mind, but focus on the overall picture and not on specifics, such as what exact vehicles you want, how many of them each team is going to have etc. All of that comes later and for the basic concept, all you should have is a basic idea of what you want to see on your map.

Game Play Objects (GPOs) and Game Modes

Project Reality: Vietnam will essentially play the same as Project Reality: BF2, except with weapons from the 1960s. With these different weapons, gameplay will vary slightly, with very few scopes on infantry weapons, no thermal vision and things like that, but the same squad teamwork, deployables and other key gameplay features will all still be there, just with slight twists where needed.

PR:V will also have the same core gamemodes as PR:BF2, such as AAS, Insurgency and CnC. On top of this some other game modes may pop up in the future based on tactics/strategies back in the Vietnam War, such as Search and Destroy, but these are still a little way off and as of yet. We can not tell you how they will play, but there is no reason why you can't develop you map for a game mode which you can shape with your map. Al Basrah for example was made far before the Insurgency game mode and instead the Insurgency gamemode was basically developed around the map, so if you want to develop a map for say a Search and Destroy setup, you can help shape the gamemode with your map although be warned, this is a pretty large task and needs a lot of thought put into it.

Regarding what vehicles, weapons and other assets are available at your disposal, right now we can't give you an exact lis,t but all of the core vehicles and weapons should all be there. And if you have any questions on a particular vehicle or asset type, don't be afraid to ask.

These videos here may give you a pretty good idea of what will be in PR:V though.

Thanks,
- The Project Reality Team.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
myles

Default Re: PR Vietnam - Mapping Appeal

I might just try make a map i have some good river ideas.

Check out my Project Reaity gamplay here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

myles is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Bumpy . Don't be afraid to show us your ideas .

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
ma21212
Supporting Member

If you do make a map, try to fit in the Hanoi Hanna and AFVN both from BFv somewhere into the map lol.

Hanoi Hanna: http://zhtw.xfire.com/video/40f52c/

AFVN: you can hear it in AfterDune's vid.

edit: Im gonna give Battle of Hue a try (counter attack a few days after Tet)

Last edited by ma21212; 03-02-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

Maps of South East Asia - Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia 1965 - 1975

I am sure someone will have stumbled upon this already, but if you do find a battle ^ that is one hell of a reference for terrain.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim270 View Post
Maps of South East Asia - Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia 1965 - 1975

I am sure someone will have stumbled upon this already, but if you do find a battle ^ that is one hell of a reference for terrain.
That is a really good ref site

Cheers for posting!

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Technoelite

I shall give it a go i like a challange and learning new things

Erm what would be helpful if you could tell us what maps which are already done and in development so we dont already do your ideas if that makes sense. Could you PM or post what areas you already have covered, dont wanna start then find out u already have it

Technoelite is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Gozjh

I would love to help, but my editor tells me there is a BFMFC.DLL is missing. If I can get it to work, I will definatly(horrible spell fail) help you guys.

[R-DEV]Rudd: "its project reality...not an episode of bob the builder or something...."

Gozjh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
[R-DEV]AFsoccer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozjh View Post
I would love to help, but my editor tells me there is a BFMFC.DLL is missing. If I can get it to work, I will definatly(horrible spell fail) help you guys.
Make sure you're running it in administrator mode and change the compatibility settings to Windows XP SP2. I didn't look into that specific error, but that might help.

[R-DEV]AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
havoc1482

Send a message via AIM to havoc1482 Send a message via MSN to havoc1482 Send a message via Skype™ to havoc1482

I'm gonna give it a try. I've always wanted to play with the editor when I was younger but Vista was a butt and I was young and didn't know how to fix it lol

havoc1482 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
appeal, mapping, official, request, vietnam