project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
ChiefRyza

Default [?] Terrain.con Fix working on dedicated servers?

Hey guys, just double checking, as Iron Eagle looks to be utilizing the terrain.con fix, I'm wondering if there is some way to have it working on maps 100%?

All I can see in the Iron Eagle terrain.con is:

Code:
terrainCuller.baseCellSize 256
Does this mean the fix is now working on dedicated servers or is there something additional that needs to be added for it to work?

Cheers in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChiefRyza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
ZZEZ
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Terrain.con Fix working on dedicated servers?

As far as I know it doesn't work on dedicated, but theres no real reason to not include it - sometimes people will run local with a few of their friends and if the map will get bot support it would be nice at least not having warping in SP.

ZZEZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
[R-DEV]AFsoccer
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I must have missed this the first time around. Does this line of code fix the morphing problems on 4km maps? Are there any drawbacks (i.e. lag)?

[R-DEV]AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

it dosen't work on dedi so there is no point in using it, unless you want your map to lag more in single player than it dose in MP.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
ChiefRyza

There was absolutely no terrain warping on Iron Eagle lastnight on bigD in areas where it should have had extreme terrain warping though? Not one ounce of it the entire map. All I'm saying from what I saw is that it does work from what I've seen.

Current project:
Old 10-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Each time I've played the map you can see huge gaps in-between each terrain patch, you can even see it in parts of the trailer.

Not looked into warping thou, can you do some testing do you think? All testing done in the past says it dosen't work on dedi but aint done the testing for this method myself.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
ChiefRyza

I believe that's because the CullerSize being 256. I'm going to do some more testing on it for Tempest, but it seems like a worthy tradeoff? Iron Eagle is a stunning map regardless, it also means it is so much easier to prevent players moving over mountains etc.

I'm trying to get a fraps video now on a server. There were literally areas that were like 90 degrees to flat ground and I couldn't notice any warping at all. It was great over long distance as well, no seeing people past invisible terrain etc. That being said, I read on that thread on the BFEditor forums 512 wasn't working on it when trying to use commands.

I'll try and get mine working though because the gaps in the terrain aren't apparent with my current code, whether or not that will work in a dedicated server isn't clear yet. I know that when I compiled my map I had to manually add it in every time because it was erasing the code from the server.zip.

Current project:
Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
ChiefRyza

Video showing the fix in action on Iron Eagle:

Untitled on Vimeo

This was on BigD Gau Server 1, and as you can see where there would normally be severe warping, everything stays in place.

Current project:
Old 10-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

nice, dose appear to be working there, will have to look into it in the future.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
pfhatoa

Looks great. Would be lovely if this could be used on all maps where it's needed. Seriously, it's the worst limit the bf2 engine has, at least when it comes to terraining.
pfhatoa is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
dedicated, fix, servers, terraincon, working