project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
02 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #31
[R-DEV]Hauteclocque
PR:BF2 Developer

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]Hauteclocque
Default Re: Zastava 900 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by altfuture View Post
So, there will be two different models, seen from inside (1p) and seen from outside (3p). 1p model has a high res exterior plus high res interior, and 3p has a high res exterior but has a low res interior.
Actually the 1p mesh (called geom0 in the bf2 export world) contains your high res interior + some parts of the exterior (all the parts of the exterior you can see from the driver/passenger positions)

I advise you to do two models : one high res interior model, and a high res exterior with low res interior model.
It will be up to the exporter to cut the parts from the exterior in the second model and add them to the 1p mesh, don't take care of this

Edit : damn, ninjad by Rhino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Hauteclocque is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #32
altfuture
Send a message via Skype™ to altfuture

Thanks for the help and your time Rhino and Hauteclocque, much appreciated! I think I fully understand what to do now, see you on the next update
altfuture is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #33
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Right going to give you a few quick examples of 1p and 3p models made with the two main methods using the Lynx and the Chinook, then going to also give you an example of the landy 1p and 3p models as that should help you too

First of all the Lynx, which is been made in Method "1" as talked about earlier, with making a low poly interior then making the high poly interior afterwards.

3p model first, got everything there you would expect and low rez interior etc, 3p model also made out of 6,035 tris.

Now here is the 1st person model, notice looking from the outside we can see lots of missing faces but once we are sitting in the pilots seat or in the back, we can't see any of that, also notice the higher rez models and mainly textures, but still the tri count is less than the 3p model at only 3,637 tris due to the exterior faces being removed, also the rotor blades, air filters etc all all separate objects and they stay on there 3p models with just how BF2 works, although you need the main rotor anyways since you can see that from inside it hehe:

Now here is the Lynx's 3p textures and if you look hard enough you can see some low rez elements of the interior textures:

And here is the 1p textures, notice how none of the 3p textures are on them:

Although the Lynx actually uses very little of the 3p mesh in its 1p mesh, there are still tiny bits that do use the 3p mesh/textures in it like the things just before the pilot:

Now onto the Chinook since I think we have covered the Lynx now, remember the Chinook was made in method "2" where you make a high poly interior to start off with and then for the 3p model you cut down on your tris, although still keep the UVs and you just give your 3p cockpit a much smaller texture (but essentially the same UVs/texture) than the 1p model.

Starting with the 3p model again, as you can see everything looks normal from the outside and on the inside everything looks all right just low rez (in fact textures could be much lower rez and I think in the full build they are, these files are not 100% upto date ) and the tri count is at 11,635 tris:

Now if we look at the 1p model we can see the interior has a bunch more tris, higher rez textures and the exterior faces are all removed and the tri count is at 4,915 tris:

Now if we look at the 3p textures we will see there are no cockpit textures on them:

We need to open the "3p cockpit texture sheet" in order to see them:

Where for the 1p model, you see the same sheet, just in much higher rez:

The way the Chinook has been modelled above (method "2") I personally wouldn't recommend. It is easier to make the model this way yes but its at the end of the day, performance wise it isn't as good.

Now instead of going into Helicopter cockpits going to take the landy here and show you what that's like since its more relevant to what your doing

So normal 3p model of the Landy at 9,289 tris.

Steering wheel is not very round and all interior textures are really low rez:

And switch to the 1p model and its a very different story, with it also having 4,067 tris.

Now if we look at the 3p textures you can see if you look really hard the interior textures just really low rez, if you can't see them just trust me, they are there:

and switch to the interior textures and we can ee the high rez interior. Also strangely enough for some reason many 3p textures are also on the interior texture. This really shouldn't be this way and it should be using the exterior textures off the 3p model unless some item really needs increased detail for the 1p model which I dont really see much need here other than a few small bits like this bit here right next to the driver:

But ye think you should get the idea here of what you need to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #34
Snazz
Supporting Member

Nice work, PR could really do with more insurgent assets (and building statics).

Perhaps add a sunroof so a passenger can shoot from it, like the Libyans in Back to the Future:

Snazz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #35
altfuture

Wow, those examples were great! Nice to see how things look under the hood Thanks again. I understood it correctly and I will most probably go with the method 1, or a combination of 1 and 2 (having a minified 1p texture included in the sheet of the 3p model).

So, as Hauteclocque said, I don't need to worry about deleting invisible 3p faces from the 1p model, this will be taken care of by the export tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazz View Post
Nice work, PR could really do with more insurgent assets (and building statics).

Perhaps add a sunroof so a passenger can shoot from it, like the Libyans in Back to the Future:
I planned adding some cargo support on the roof like in the pic below, so that would probably not be possible. But, it's a good idea!

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimag.../900%20mkd.JPG
Old 08-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #36
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
So, as Hauteclocque said, I don't need to worry about deleting invisible 3p faces from the 1p model, this will be taken care of by the export tool?
Its best you delete all the unseen faces because tbh, most exporters can't model for sh*t and if you leave them any modelling to do they tend to screw up the models (no offence guys but its true )

So I would delete it all yourself

Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #37
altfuture

rgr. I agree it's better to do it manually. It's more work, but heck, it's a lot of work anyway, so let's do it good. What's the chance of this getting into the 0.92 update? Any predictions of launching date?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #38
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

No chance of this going into .92

Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #39
Snazz
Supporting Member

Quote:
I planned adding some cargo support on the roof like in the pic below, so that would probably not be possible. But, it's a good idea!

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimag.../900%20mkd.JPG
Ah ok, 2 versions maybe?
Snazz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #40
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazz View Post
Ah ok, 2 versions maybe?
ye, if your doing more than one colour 2 versions would be an idea, make the new texture more worth it

Tags
900, vehicle, wip, zastava