project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
21 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #21
Smegburt_funkledink

Default Re: Zastava 900 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
One thing I would suggest is to chamfer off the edges of the tires as right now they are quite blockey on the sides if that makes any sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by altfuture View Post
Thanks, fixed .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priby View Post
What about the tires, are they that sharp on the other PR models?
Looks really good btw
@Priby - What about reading the thread?

This looks mint mate!

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #22
[R-DEV]Hauteclocque
PR:BF2 Developer

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]Hauteclocque

Sorry, I forgot to answer your questions in my last post.

Quote:
should interior share the same texture as exterior?
It's up to you to decide. (but don't have huge texture sheets )
Quote:
What is the technique of making glass, do I model it with thickness? Is glass part supposed to have an alpha map included and again, does it use the same texture as the whole vehicle?
You have two solutions :
-you include your windows in your texture if you want to make dust effect, etc on it (with alphas in the diffuse or the bump map texture)
-you don't take care of this, and the exporter put the generic glass texture on your windows. (no need to put them on the UV sheets)

Quote:
Lastly, is there anyone who would be willing to import this vehicle to the game if you like it?
Sure, I can do it when your model and textures are done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Hauteclocque is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
cyberzomby

Wauw! Excellent! I can already see the insurgents and taliban cruising around in one of these :P
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #24
altfuture
Send a message via Skype™ to altfuture

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Hauteclocque View Post
It's up to you to decide. (but don't have huge texture sheets )
Roger, I will see about fitting it all to a single 2048^2.

Quote:
You have two solutions :
-you include your windows in your texture if you want to make dust effect, etc on it (with alphas in the diffuse or the bump map texture)
-you don't take care of this, and the exporter put the generic glass texture on your windows. (no need to put them on the UV sheets)
Nice, I will definitely include my own windows texture.

Quote:
Sure, I can do it when your model and textures are done.
Awesome

Here's some pics, I finished the basic interior (again, not optimized yet so no wireframe):

altfuture is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #25
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

looks good, although is all that floor detail viable once all the seats and other interior objects are in? if not you should just make what you can see

Also for the windows, you need to model them as polys and then they have an transparency layer done though the alpha channel of the colour/normal map applied to them

And ye a single 2048x2048 sheet is good, thou will most likley be downsized to 1024x1024 when it goes ingame due to performance but dont let that put you off, much larger objects ingame only use 1024x1024 textures currently like the Challenger 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
altfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
looks good, although is all that floor detail viable once all the seats and other interior objects are in? if not you should just make what you can see
I'm not sure, but I think it will be visible from the fifth position. Even if it won't, it doesn't use too many triangles, and I really wanted to make this vehicle complete so that it can be easily modified for other uses too Or other games, like Arma2:PR maybe.

Quote:
Also for the windows, you need to model them as polys and then they have an transparency layer done though the alpha channel of the colour/normal map applied to them
Roger, will do. Does alpha map support grayscale values or only black and white?

Quote:
And ye a single 2048x2048 sheet is good, thou will most likley be downsized to 1024x1024 when it goes ingame due to performance but dont let that put you off, much larger objects ingame only use 1024x1024 textures currently like the Challenger 2
No problem, I'm sure it will look good that way too
Old 08-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #27
[R-DEV]J.F.Leusch69

it might also be an idea to make a seperate texture for the interior only and than have the rest on another sheet, so we can have a number of different colored vehicles which all share the interior texture, that would also help performance, but would only makes sense if the interior cane be same same on the vehicles no matter of its color
[R-DEV]J.F.Leusch69 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #28
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think it will be visible from the fifth position. Even if it won't, it doesn't use too many triangles, and I really wanted to make this vehicle complete so that it can be easily modified for other uses too Or other games, like Arma2:PR maybe.
ye rgr you can always delete/optimize unseen faces afterwards

Quote:
Roger, will do. Does alpha map support grayscale values or only black and white?
Can do grayscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]J.F.Leusch69 View Post
it might also be an idea to make a seperate texture for the interior only and than have the rest on another sheet, so we can have a number of different colored vehicles which all share the interior texture, that would also help performance, but would only makes sense if the interior cane be same same on the vehicles no matter of its color
Ah ye forgot to mention that. Basically Altfuture in BF2 we can have separate 1st person and 3rd person models. With this its also worth having separate 1st and 3rd person textures, with 1st person textures for the interior objects and at a much higher rez.

There are two ways of going about this.

1: The first way is that you model a low poly interior and have the interior textures on the normal 3p sheet and has separate UVs from the 1p interior (note a simple way of then texturing it is to bake the interior textures off the 1p model onto the 3p model) and then the 1p interior you add a lot more detail to it and UV it onto its own sheet.

2: The other way is to just make a high poly model for both 1st and 3rd person, with all the interior UVs on there own sheet, and then when the model is all done and textured you then separate the two models into 1st and 3rd person, and optimizing the 3rd person model a lot, probably remove a lot of elements while your at it and optimizing the big ones, keeping the UVs intact and then when it comes to exporting the model you have two separate interior textures sheets, which are basically excatly the same textures other than the 1p sheet is much higher rez and the 3p sheet and you might also want to change them a little.

Option 1 is the best for performance, although there is a 3rd way:

3: The 3rd way is basiclaly combing the two methods which is to model a high poly interior, UV it all onto the 1p sheet then when you separate the two models you leave a gap on the 3p UV for the interior objects to go into, and then you can either texture them by hand or bake them off the 1p textures

Its really up to you which way you want to do it thou but it is worth having separate 1st and 3rd person models, otherwise your staring at a dash board with only a few pixels on it and a steering wheel with only 6 edges

Also you can use the 3rd person textures fine without any issues in the 1p model for the exterior items, + any interior items you want too just dont use the 1p textures on the 3p model (unless your going down the option 2 method with the same UVs but separate sheets).

Old 08-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #29
altfuture

Took me some time to swallow what I just read, so I will summarize how I understood it to be sure if I understood it well

So, there will be two different models, seen from inside (1p) and seen from outside (3p). 1p model has a high res exterior plus high res interior, and 3p has a high res exterior but has a low res interior.

The best way for performance is to have two textures that will contain:

1p - high res interior independent from exterior
3p - high res exterior plus low res interior

+ if I make the interior also independent from external paint, we can have the van in different colors in the game with least performance hit.

If this sum up is correct, it's no problem for me to make it that way. So what the low res interior should be like, 500 tris?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #30
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

1p models at what you see from when your sitting inside the model yes, like the cockpit of a chopper and what not, but most of the time the exterior is excatly the same as the 3p model, with just unseen faces you can not see form the inside of the model removed and it also uses the same 3p textures for the exterior of the model (+ maybe some interior bits).
3p models are for what the vehicle looks like to anyone not sitting in the model, from walking next to it to being in anouther vehicle looking at it.

and ye, can have the van in different colours too going that way but try to not make too many colours, a lot of textures can be used up doing that

If you want later tomorrow I can give you some examples of 1p and 3p models and there differences on current vehicles so you can see more for yourself how it works but right now I can't.

Tags
900, vehicle, wip, zastava