project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
22 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Private_m16
Smile [?] importing models?? from blender

i need some help, me and my friend are making a PR map, but i dont know if it is possible to use blender models and export them to BF2 map editor, if you can help, please please reply!!!!!
Private_m16 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
AquaticPenguin
Default Re: importing models?? from blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_m16 View Post
i need some help, me and my friend are making a PR map, but i dont know if it is possible to use blender models and export them to BF2 map editor, if you can help, please please reply!!!!!
You can export the model + UVs into .obj format which I believe is readable by gmax - gmax has a plugin which can export to bf2 files, though I don't know any of the details. There may be some steps of retouching/fixing the models to get them to work and I'm sure someone else can help out a lot more than I can.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Its best to not go though anything like Blender and just work in 3DsMax 9 (not 2009 etc, v9) since then you do not have to worry about any errors you get from porting models across different programs, like screwed up geom, smoothing groups, UVs etc. If not Max9 at least Maya since that can also port directly to BF2 (think only the old versions can thou, not 100% sure on this but still best to use Max9).

For Blender I'm not 100% sure but it would most likley be something like a .obj export and then that .obj to be imported into Max9, cleaned up again and then exported using Max9 into BF2.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

yes, use export via .obj, but be ready for fixing all the stuff, at least for reassigning all smoothing groups

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]DankE_SPB View Post
yes, use export via .obj, but be ready for fixing all the stuff, at least for reassigning all smoothing groups
that is the least of your worries. you will have to take care of flipped faces, extra vertices, hidden polygons etc etc.

i have imported and fixed up a few objects myself, and the best way to fix the models up again is by making an instance of the object in 3dsmax and then scaling the hell out of it until it is 20x larger. Then zoom out and select all vertices and pres weld.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB
Default Re: [?] importing models?? from blender

maybe you received a crappy model?
my were not that bad- weld with low threshold- clear SMs- detriangulate(so its easier to fix something if needed)- assign SMs

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
my were not that bad- weld with low threshold- clear SMs- detriangulate(so its easier to fix something if needed)- assign SMs
well it depends on how the model was made. It can go totally fubar, I once had to import a ris handguard from O2 (arma model app) and that was truly god awful (some places had triple polygons on top of each other and what not).

But many times certain faces may have been flipped (in which case the weld will not work like it should. It is really a matter of the state the model was in when exported, the app it was exported from, and what format it was exported in.

On some stuff (like max 2010 to v9) you may be pretty lucky by exporting in an .obj file. but generally it requires half an hour to two, dependant on the model (and if the uvw has to be edited etc)

Generally a bad idea to port across platforms (unless it is something like max <--> mudbox/zbrush) or if it is absolutely necesary and that the artists doing the port know each other/their respective programs and the challenges involved (especially on the user end).

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Hauteclocque

Quote:

What are you talking about ?

Hauteclocque is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
blender, importing, models