project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
23 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
cfschris
Banned
Default [?] Map conversion to PR?

-- Aerial Combat Map :: BF2 --

I have ALWAYS loved this map. A couple of years old, it got some publicity when it was published on TotalBF2 awhile ago. But not nearly enough playtime.

The initial map concept is very good, with the primary focus being on air-to-air combat. I remember hearing alot of enthusiasm for a big PR air map, and I think this would be the perfect setting.

I know the dev team wants to stay away from Vanilla maps, and this one is like a souped-up, kickass Wake Island. And so we shall convert it to PR :P

My personal thoughts on the conversion would be-

1. Remove all infantry aspect of the map (remove airdrop spawns, ground vehicles, boats)
2. Increase map size to 8km (or as large as possible)
3. Make cap radii in the sky above the island and in 1-2 other locations over the 8km map.

Of course, using the Essex with the amount of aircraft a map like this would call for wouldn't go for PR (with ground roll being realistically longer than the Essex). This would call for a trapping system (and if needed, launch) which could be borrowed from Combined Arms mod.

Comments, Questions, Concerns?

EDIT: Map can be found at the top of the download list here
cfschris is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Wilkinson

Send a message via AIM to Wilkinson Send a message via MSN to Wilkinson Send a message via Skype™ to Wilkinson
Default Re: Map conversion to PR?

Sounds like a map for the PR:Combined arms Guys since you want all infantry. Plus Pilots can't cap flags btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wilkinson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
2. Increase map size to 8km (or as large as possible)
You can't just 'increase' or 'resize' the map. You could create a new map and use the original terrain file, but you'd still had to put back all the statics, trees etc. by yourself, basically ending up in not resizing the map but doing a completely new one from scratch (with some head start).
Also an island with three hills, one road and a retarded wooden bridge that crosses the ocean isn't really much of a sophisticated map, like I said, you're better of doing a map from scratch.

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
cfschris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Wilkinson View Post
Sounds like a map for the PR:Combined arms Guys since you want all infantry. Plus Pilots can't cap flags btw.
Say what? I said remove all infantry aspects of the game.....make it air combat only
Old 06-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
cfschris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz View Post
You can't just 'increase' or 'resize' the map. You could create a new map and use the original terrain file, but you'd still had to put back all the statics, trees etc. by yourself, basically ending up in not resizing the map but doing a completely new one from scratch (with some head start).
Also an island with three hills, one road and a retarded wooden bridge that crosses the ocean isn't really much of a sophisticated map, like I said, you're better of doing a map from scratch.
Note- concept is to convert map to an AIR COMBAT map
Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
cfschris
Banned

Wilk, I know pilots can cap, no hardcoding there. I guess the option was removed in PR, as I know its possible in vBf2.

Perhaps implement the feature back in just for this map?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
ZZEZ
Retired PR Developer

You know you need the author's permission to use it, right?

ZZEZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
cfschris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]ZZEZ View Post
You know you need the author's permission to use it, right?
I'm only suggesting it, not doing it myself (I don't have the mapping skills). But theres contact info on the first link for whoevers interested.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz View Post
if you know what you are doing you can increase the map size with keeping the island the same size and the statics in the correct place etc but gets pretty complicated and you would still need to redo many things like roads etc.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
[R-DEV]J.F.Leusch69
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfschris View Post
I'm only suggesting it, not doing it myself (I don't have the mapping skills). But theres contact info on the first link for whoevers interested.
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f354...g-section.html

than it should be moved to suggestion forum
[R-DEV]J.F.Leusch69 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, map