project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
28 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
HughJass

Angry [Help] Rendering object distances...

We are all very aware of the renderer.minculldistance 1000 command.

I forgot how and where you put this command so objects render at far distances in game.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HughJass is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
master of the templars

Default Re: [Halp] Rendering object distances...

Make nukes, Not war

chuckMFd on 0.9- Can we trade back Assault on Mestia for Qinling?
[R-DEV]masaq - It's rather difficult to "apprehend" a Tu-95... you try persuading a 200-ton aircraft to land somewhere it doesn't want to, when it has enough fuel to get home and it knows you can't/won't shoot it down
master of the templars is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
HughJass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJass View Post
We are all very aware of the renderer.minculldistance 1000 command.

I forgot how and where you put this command so objects render at far distances in game.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
IronTaxi
Mapping Manager

in the init.con....no?

renderer.globalStaticMeshLodDistanceScale 1
renderer.globalBundleMeshLodDistanceScale 1
renderer.globalSkinnedMeshLodDistanceScale 1

IronTaxi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
HughJass

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]IronTaxi View Post
in the init.con....no?

Will that render all the objects at 1000+ in game? I think I am confusing my self...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
IronTaxi
Mapping Manager

yes....its a scaling function...

increase the scale to 2 for example for the static meshes it should double the global draw distance for statiucs

IronTaxi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
HughJass

Quote:
yes....its a scaling function...

increase the scale to 2 for example for the static meshes it should double the global draw distance for statiucs
Thanks a lot

Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
in the init.con....no?

no that's not it taxi.... that changes the scale at the distances the LODs change, not the distances for how far the object culls, you can set the object to change from lod1 to lod2 at 500m but the object might stop culling (drawing) at 200m or w/e.

HughJass, if you want to change the cull distance for a specific object then the line your looking for which is part of the objects .tweak file is:

Quote:
ObjectTemplate.cullRadiusScale 1
at default its 1 but in most cases this is set to 5 for most objects in PR.

the Cull / draw radius is based on the objects size when exported, you can't change that without making the object itself bigger, but you can change the scale of its cull, keeping it at 1 keeps it at its default, but making it 2 makes it draw for around 2x its distance and so on. Best to just open the object editor up and without using the renderer.minculldistance command see how long it draws for then get it right, if its a large object you will want it culling for a very, very long distance and then let the map's view distance decide when to stop drawing it.

In the object editor you can tweak it here:

you can also put the "renderer.minculldistance" command into the init.con file but I would VERY strongly advise against this as you will be drawing every tea mug upto the point specified or until the view distance kicked in. Culling is process that is very much needed to weed out the small objects that no longer effect game play and are worth not drawing at all as you can hardly see them. This would also effect the low gfx users which struggle enough with running PR.

Thou I do force that command (and a few others) some times when I'm taking final screenshots of a map etc but that's only because its just a screenshot and I have a high end system, and even then my FPS get shot up

Hope that helps.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 03-16-2009 at 10:35 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
HughJass

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
no that's not it taxi.... that changes the scale at the distances the LODs change, not the distances for how far the object culls, you can set the object to change from lod1 to lod2 at 500m but the object might stop culling (drawing) at 200m or w/e.

HughJass, if you want to change the cull distance for a specific object then the line your looking for which is part of the objects .tweak file is:

at default its 1 but in most cases this is set to 5 for most objects in PR.

the Cull / draw radius is based on the objects size when exported, you can't change that without making the object itself bigger, but you can change the scale of its cull, keeping it at 1 keeps it at its default, but making it 2 makes it draw for around 2x its distance and so on. Best to just open the object editor up and without using the renderer.minculldistance command see how long it draws for then get it right, if its a large object you will want it culling for a very, very long distance and then let the map's view distance decide when to stop drawing it.

In the object editor you can tweak it here:

you can also put the "renderer.minculldistance" command into the init.con file but I would VERY strongly advise against this as you will be drawing every tea mug upto the point specified or until the view distance kicked in. Culling is process that is very much needed to weed out the small objects that no longer effect game play and are worth not drawing at all as you can hardly see them. This would also effect the low gfx users which struggle enough with running PR.

Thou I do force that command (and a few others) some times when I'm taking final screenshots of a map etc but that's only because its just a screenshot and I have a high end system, and even then my FPS get shot up

Hope that helps.
ah yes that is what i was looking for. Luckily I didnt try taxis way yet... saved me trouble...thanks

Tags
distances, halp, minculldistance, object, renderer, rendering