project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
20 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
callumh

Question [Help!] with 3dsmax

how dod you get a nice render and lighting?, becouse mine go all strange

se all the blacks specs and its kinda blurd
so what do you do to get it nice and smooth?

"please dont compare the queen to the admins please" - some guy on the tg server.
callumh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
KP
Retired Moderator

That's strange. I just put in a skylight, turn on Light Tracer and that, I think, is it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

More guns and bullets make bad guys go away faster,
which in turn makes everyone in the area safer.

-Paul Howe
KP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Vaiski
Retired PR Developer

To get rid of the noise you’ll have to increase your skylight’s ‘Rays per sample value’. For fast renders I use something like 12-14 samples but it produces some noise. The default 20 is almost noiseless so that’s good for beauty renders.

Skylight alone looks very dull and boring. I personally like to set an omni light to cast some specular highlights and shadows to the objects in the scene. Orange omni light with dark blue shadows and a light blue skylight produces a typical daylight scene.

Check renderer > antialiasing > Filter settings for sharper image quality. I don’t know much about this stuff but I was told that Catmull-rom should produce pretty sharp renders. You might want to check the global supersampler settings aswell.

If you want really good renders you’ll have to use mental ray renderer with proper light calculations. There are some good tutorials for mental ray and the results can be pretty amazing.
However it can be a bit misleading to render game models with all the most advanced lighting setups since there are no game engines that could produce similar results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vaiski is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
callumh

thanks, i have also been seeing vray in the tutorials but i cant find it, do i have to download it?

"please dont compare the queen to the admins please" - some guy on the tg server.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
callumh

ok i have done a new one and wacked the rays up to 50 lol
and got this

as you can see its still blurd around the edge of the pigs

how do i get it like yours?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
[R-DEV]motherdear
PR:BF2 Developer

try and increase the resolution it renders at, it might only be rendering at 320x
might be that i don't know since it's the default
[R-DEV]motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Vaiski
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Vaiski View Post
Check renderer > antialiasing > Filter settings for sharper image quality. I don’t know much about this stuff but I was told that Catmull-rom should produce pretty sharp renders. You might want to check the global supersampler settings aswell.
That should fix the blurriness. You are using bad anti aliasing or supersampling setting.

Vray is an expensive rendering plugin. Not really needed anymore since mental ray now comes with 3ds.

Vaiski is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
callumh

oh right ok

yea its gone

Tags
3dsmax