project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
29 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
hoc_xfirestormx
Default [Question] opening and rendering bf2 models in 3ds or maya?

hey, sorry if this is in the wrong place (it has to do with modding but its a question, so... i dunno). anyway heres what i want to do:

open a soldier character model with a gun and all that (how it looks in the game) and render it in high quality so that i dont have to cut out soldiers from screenshots to make wallpapers and images and such (will also help the images because the light source will be strong and from one direction). i cant seem to figure out where to find the files or what to do to get the files or whatever. anyway, any help would be great, cause i hate using the lasso tool in photoshop.

i have 3ds max and maya, so i can open it in either one. is there a way to do this in bf2 editor? i havent worked much in that program. i need high quality screenshots, and no background would be awesome fo sho
hoc_xfirestormx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
e-Gor
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

If you import the soldier, you lose the bone weights, so you'd have to reweight it all which is non-trivial and hugely time consuming to get it to look right. Also I think you lose UV data, so you'd have to re UV it too.

If you go into the animation editor section of the bf2 editor, you can load up any soldier with any weapon, and pause at any point in any animation. You'd get a plain background, which I guess is second best to transparent. You can't do any better than a screenshot though.
e-Gor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Spearhead Send a message via MSN to Spearhead

Problem is also you lose all the texture mapping data when importing models from BF2 into 3DS Max... I'd go for the BFEditor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spearhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
jarleif
Retired PR Developer

nah you dont lose the data, it is just on layer 9 of the uvs, you have to copy it over to layer one which can be a pain if it has a lot of parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jarleif is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
hoc_xfirestormx

much thanks for the info thus far. the renders arent lower quality than a SS, its the same, correct?

also, how do i open the soldier animations? where do i find them? i must be missing something (probably really simple).
hoc_xfirestormx is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
3ds, bf2, maya, models, opening, question, rendering