project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
11 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #21
Vista
Default Re: [HUD] Font Facelift

Amazing. Well, why another thread? It's a HUD facelift afterall
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #22
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

The big problem with HD HUD is that it would be big texture with mostly nothing on it. A better approach for that might be to have smaller parts of the HUD and combine them in code. That way you have less dead space on the textures.
That would really be quite a task to do, so lets focus on fonts first

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
[R-DEV]Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #23
TBob

Made an updated chat font

Also from some additional testing if there isn't at least 2 pixels of spacing between the glyphs then some artifacts can bleed over, at least when you're using the BF2 outline rendering

The outline renderer also does weird things when the glyph has single pixel wide lines

The to avoid this I just used a thicker font. Alternatively you can just disable the in-game outline rendering and generate the font itself with the outline. This does end up using more texture space though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
The big problem with HD HUD is that it would be big texture with mostly nothing on it. A better approach for that might be to have smaller parts of the HUD and combine them in code. That way you have less dead space on the textures.
True, though a number of HUDs are already split up that way and are still quite low resolution.
TBob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:52 AM   #24
TBob

Updated the asset list font, I also found and fixed a bug in the original where the top of the red transport truck icon was cut off.

Also did squadlistfontlocal_8 which seems to only apply to these 4 words

It would probably be possible to just eliminate it and use the team name font instead.

I think I overestimated the texture sizes it would require, for example the new asset list font is 64Kb compared to the old one at 32Kb.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #25
mectus11
PR Server License Moderator

I hope this happens in a future update, would be a nice change from the blurry text even if it's a small one.

mectus11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #26
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Yeah it's absolutely great but our only concern is memory. Many client crashes are down to hitting the 3GB memory limit that the engine gives us. So just adding more to it needs to be a well weighted decision. Same reason we have to downsize so many of our great weapon and vehicle textures even though we have much higher resolutions available

I personally do think though this needs to looked at more closely. It instantly makes the game look a little less dated.

[R-DEV]Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #27
BigBang

Send a message via ICQ to BigBang

Those blurry fonts were something I never really realized until friday when I brought home my new PC and 27" monitor. So I have to say good job! And can't wait until it will be implemented

BigBang is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #28
TBob

Did another pass on hudfontlocalbold_9 to get it into a finalized state

The new texture is 64KB compared to the original 16KB, however there are several other fonts that could be merged into this one without a significant change in the interface.

These have slightly wider character spacing in the originals but I don't think that has enough of an impact on the interface to warrant an additional texture
commrosefontlocalbold_9
dropdownfontlocalbold_9
helpmessagefontlocalbold_8
scoreboardfontlocal_8
squadlistfontlocal_8

As well as two fonts only used by the flash menu
standardtextbold_12
standardtextbold_13

I couldn't find any references to these in the menu files but these are also identical
commandersquadlistfontlocal_8
helpmessagefontlocalboldoutline_13

The new font is 64KB compared to the original at 16KB, but eliminating the duplicates could even result in a net reduction of texture space for this group of fonts.
I also found that the original fonts are using uncompressed textures - I assume to avoid artifacting (if you can think of a more likely reason please let me know). By using DXT5 I can increase the texture size much more efficiently and any artificating has much less of an impact.

I think I can bring my original estimate down to around 1MB of additional texture memory when you include removing unnecessary fonts.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #29
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
That is what I did in the HD Remastered, you can take HD menu textures and codes for smaller everything in there when it's all uploaded
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #30
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
Did another pass on hudfontlocalbold_9 to get it into a finalized state

The new texture is 64KB compared to the original 16KB, however there are several other fonts that could be merged into this one without a significant change in the interface.

These have slightly wider character spacing in the originals but I don't think that has enough of an impact on the interface to warrant an additional texture
commrosefontlocalbold_9
dropdownfontlocalbold_9
helpmessagefontlocalbold_8
scoreboardfontlocal_8
squadlistfontlocal_8

As well as two fonts only used by the flash menu
standardtextbold_12
standardtextbold_13

I couldn't find any references to these in the menu files but these are also identical
commandersquadlistfontlocal_8
helpmessagefontlocalboldoutline_13

The new font is 64KB compared to the original at 16KB, but eliminating the duplicates could even result in a net reduction of texture space for this group of fonts.
I also found that the original fonts are using uncompressed textures - I assume to avoid artifacting (if you can think of a more likely reason please let me know). By using DXT5 I can increase the texture size much more efficiently and any artificating has much less of an impact.

I think I can bring my original estimate down to around 1MB of additional texture memory when you include removing unnecessary fonts.
32 bits give you smoother shades, that usually helps in the alpha, in that case the font was really small so if it were compressed it will add a a lot of artifacts and look blurry, yes worse than it was already lol. Since you are doing them in a larger size with more pixels and font's don't have any particular alpha effect (at least solid colored fonts, you can make 3D Fonts and replace them in the DDS also, using the same spaces and alignment) You can easily use DXT3 or DXT5.
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
facelift, font, hud