project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
17 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #31
B4rr3l
Default re: BF2 HD Remastered 3.0 Beta - 2017 - Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
Nice .
Thanks Champ! More news soon.
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #32
YAK-R
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Nice stuff! I'd love to see some more moody skys, like stormy, oil smoke etc - a bit of lightning even!
YAK-R is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #33
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAK-R View Post
Nice stuff! I'd love to see some more moody skys, like stormy, oil smoke etc - a bit of lightning even!
BF2 Sky engine is very rudimentar... uneven skys don't fit good in the environment because it uses the same Fog color and stretches the bottom of the sky color, it's hard to make them fill natural. But we are working on this!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:47 AM   #34
MaxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4rr3l View Post
BF2 Sky engine is very rudimentar... uneven skys don't fit good in the environment because it uses the same Fog color and stretches the bottom of the sky color, it's hard to make them fill natural. But we are working on this!
Yes, there must be a solid color in the bottom of the sky texture

Look at the original and edited texture:
https://yadi.sk/i/x6U-2BJW3EVwXf
https://yadi.sk/i/oDA871G-3EVwHK

You can use the gradient to fill the bottom, and use the very bottom color as the fog color, OR you can use background image that looks like real horizon, and fill this image with one color.
MaxP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:11 AM   #35
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxP View Post
Yes, there must be a solid color in the bottom of the sky texture

Look at the original and edited texture:
https://yadi.sk/i/x6U-2BJW3EVwXf
https://yadi.sk/i/oDA871G-3EVwHK

You can use the gradient to fill the bottom, and use the very bottom color as the fog color, OR you can use background image that looks like real horizon, and fill this image with one color.
I know that, all the HD Skys have been re worked already, version 2.0 soon to be released with some nice new features.

I mean even if you have the bottom in the same color but the sky itselfs it's uneven you won't have a very good result, cause the fog color wiil be always the same, so say it's oorange sunset in one side and cloudy white or dark blue on the other, ther is no fog color to math both sides, so it's a really consuming work...

and that edited one will certainly be weird, first cause it's not hemispherical 360 anymore since it has been cropped, so the textures won't be seemless to close the dome

second it's not in the right proportion with is 4:1
Old 02-25-2017, 06:30 AM   #36
MaxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4rr3l View Post
and that edited one will certainly be weird, first cause it's not hemispherical 360 anymore since it has been cropped, so the textures won't be seemless to close the dome

second it's not in the right proportion with is 4:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4rr3l
BF2 Sky engine is very rudimentar...
You say that ))

As you can see, there is no problem with the top of the skydome.
And yes, you can use another proportion, especially if your sky texture has no clouds, but even with clouds it looks very good, as you can't actually know the real cloud proportions in all situations.
This sky has the "wrong proportion" too:

What is the point to use the proportions like that? Texture details of course.

Quote:
I mean even if you have the bottom in the same color but the sky itselfs it's uneven you won't have a very good result
What's the problem to add the pseudo-fog stripe in the bottom?
It's better, of course, to not use the such sky textures, but if it really looks good, use the Lighter\Darker gradient blending mode (in Paint Net).
What really can be a sort of headache, is the sky textures on maps with mountains, like Fushe Pass.
Compare it.

Last edited by MaxP; 02-25-2017 at 07:03 AM..
Old 02-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #37
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxP View Post
You say that ))

As you can see, there is no problem with the top of the skydome.
And yes, you can use another proportion, especially if your sky texture has no clouds, but even with clouds it looks very good, as you can't actually know the real cloud proportions in all situations.
This sky has the "wrong proportion" too:

What is the point to use the proportions like that? Texture details of course.

What's the problem to add the pseudo-fog stripe in the bottom?
It's better, of course, to not use the such sky textures, but if it really looks good, use the Lighter\Darker gradient blending mode (in Paint Net).
What really can be a sort of headache, is the sky textures on maps with mountains, like Fushe Pass.
Compare it.
first Fushee pic is actually a default fushe sky 03, Version 1.65 don't have HD Skyes yet.

Second Fushee one is good to explain what I mean, white clouds mixed with blue background in a mountain terrain, a problematic mix, so you picked the blue fog to math the blue background, but it doesn't match the white clouds, so the mountains looks weird as monochromatic 2D polygons without the right air space perspective. That's a hell of a map to get it right, but it looked pretty good in latest HD sky version, I will show some pictures later.

About croped Hemi picture, even if you offset them and work to make it close right in both sides it won't look as real as a true Hemi 360 picture and you will probably notice in game where the cone closes vertically.

This Hemi 360 pictures you can offset them and you won't see any difference cause they ar true 360.

You actually see much more of the sky horizontally than vertically so that's why all BF original skyes were made 4:1. if you use 2048x1024 you are only increasing it vertical resolution.
Last edited by B4rr3l; 02-25-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Old 02-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #38
B4rr3l

Here is one of Fushee with the new Vanilla HD Sky:

Da Vinci approved edition lol

Last edited by B4rr3l; 02-25-2017 at 12:43 PM..
Old 02-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #39
syndrom61

nice nice
syndrom61 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #40
B4rr3l

Ok guys, Pack version 2.0 has been delayed, the 14 maps were almost ready with the new atmosphere, improved 4K lightmaps, minor fixes and improved vegetation shadow maps from 2 shades to up to 255 shades of vegetation shadows, and also 3 new maps.

But when they werer almost ready I've learned a lot about how to make the perfect sky texture, animated clouds and sunflare, so I decided to reboot and start it all from zero, with less steps to make it right with less detail lost during the process. Clouds are in a much better resolution now also. Almost 1 week just studying Da Vinci's aerial perspective lol. New textures are ready now, and I started to put them together, 2 maps are done already.

This is one of the new 2.0 maps also with the new atmosphere HDpack!

Wake Island HD 2017

Fushee Pass HD 2017

those are the last 96 final candidates for Fushee final Sky, you can imagine the number of clouds names and sunflares already...

Tags
165, 2017, beta, bf2, bf2 hd maps, fullhd, official, remastered, vanilla