project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 03:29 AM   #11
B4rr3l
Default re: BF2 HD Remastered 3.0 Beta - 2017 - Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
If we do it, why does it still flicker?

@B4rr3l
How big is the impact of no lods? Did you ever try it on PR maps? They have quite a lot more detail than most bf2 maps. Getting rid of lods would not only get rid of visual switching, but also make it easier to add new content. No more caring about stupid lod optimizing
I just disabled LODs for static objects which are the ones most complex in geometries and larger.

Zero impact on FPS, tested a lot, but I did noticed the maps are running smoother without having to switch complex geometries all the time, specially for air vehicles.

It does use more video memory with static lods disabled. It went from Max 750MB to around max 1200MB.

I kept LODs for bundles, soldiers, terrain, over and undergrowth, just raised their scale.

Terrain don't look good without LODs, it will look tiled from above even with a Low farTopTilingHi number. If you have a texture that isn't very homogeneous, than it will look even worse. I tried to always keep terrain lod at 1/3 of the view distance used, since it has 3 levels of detail.

Roads are always a big problem and here they are no different, if you raise terrain lod distance, roads will also look better over distance, the problem is the better they look, more problems they will bring. If you set Bias too low it will be good in distance with vehicles right over it, but from close they will flicker and goes under the terrain. There is no sweet spot it will suck anyway, and small vehicles will probably disappear in distance under the road.

Sooo... I don't know whats the default Road Bias, but
this: "renderer.roadDepthBias -0.000004" puts the roads a little bit closer to the terrains and helped when you set the road detail more far, and didn't cause any road to goes under the terrain when close in any of the 12 maps I've tried. But still having it's limits and when the road detail is too far vehicles will keep disappearing. So How to increase the terrain detail LOD but keep the road at lower detail?

This did the trick:
renderer.roadLodDistMod 0.85 to keep the road detail just a little higher than original one, and the 0.000004 kept the vehicles over it.

It is like a ratio, but they all don't make much sense, cause Terrain detail lod distance should be at 75m by default but if you double it to 150 , it won't actually double the distance you will keep the same detail before switching, but it will increase, generally 1/3 of max distance works very well. And it also make the game more clean, wich is good, keeping high detail terrain textures all the way up makes the game noisy as those new BFs.

Best way to Deal with road for gameplay would be to remove them, vehicles over colormap or low detail dont have any problem and roads won't flicker.

About the road flickering, it happens in junctions of roads, specially when they have different types like tarmac and gravel. If we use the road editor there is nothing we can do about that.

What we can do is a HD Colormap with the roads more detailed on it, but that will be much easier in new maps than in existing ones, that you will need to copy everything in a larger size texture withe the same colors, etc... In a new one just use a good HD terrain picture and build the map over it.

Maybe build the roads and take a SS in the same scale and use it for new colormaps..

Do you guys know how can I put all objects that a map needs inside it? I mean... an easier way than following staticobjects and hunt them? Might change their cull distance to avoid fading with the higher view distance, but certainly not one by one
Last edited by B4rr3l; 02-11-2017 at 03:35 AM..
Old 02-11-2017, 03:36 AM   #12
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by obpmgmua View Post
Cant log in, cant download battlelog.co installer. Whats going on?
It's supposed to be working fine..
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
B4rr3l

Do you guys know how can I put all objects that a map needs inside it? I mean... an easier way than following staticobjects and hunt them? Might change their cull distance to avoid fading with the higher view distance, but certainly not one by one
Old 02-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #14
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

I dont think there is any easy way to do it. The global renderer commands to modify cull distances dont seem to work

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
[R-DEV]Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
I dont think there is any easy way to do it. The global renderer commands to modify cull distances dont seem to work
Yep it doesn't work

I've tried for a map but man, there was 1608 objects, no way to do this for all maps.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
B4rr3l

Project BF2 Vanilla Sky under development:

- New Higher resolution textures for Clouds, Sky and sunflares
- New sky model and types.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:57 AM   #17
solidfire93

Awesome work B4rr3l,keep it up...

are these changes possible to be added to PR Maps ?
solidfire93 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #18
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfire93 View Post
Awesome work B4rr3l,keep it up...

are these changes possible to be added to PR Maps ?

Possible it is, but they gave a hell lot of work for those 12 classic maps already.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #19
B4rr3l

New HD Skies Textures ready, almost 15 completely new High Resolution Sky textures.

from 2.048 x 512 to 8.192 x 2.048 in newer and better texture compress format .

Hemispherical Skies samples were 13.000x4.200 in a very good resolution, so we got more detailed clouds, less banding, noise, fading, etc

Full Vanilla Sky Project Album here:
Vanilla Sky - Album on Imgur
Old 02-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #20
MaxP

Here is some of my experiments with BF2 maps.
Maybe somebody will find it helpful.

Last edited by MaxP; 02-16-2017 at 05:12 PM..

Tags
165, 2017, beta, bf2, bf2 hd maps, fullhd, official, remastered, vanilla