project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 03:48 AM   #131
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [WIP] [Vehicle] Super Etendard

If your pivots are not correctly setup then there isn't any point fixing them and saving them at this point, overall it will be quicker to do that when it comes to exporting. But any that are correct, still worth saving their locations.

Also a quick example of setting up the pivot correctly, well somewhat, for w/e reason it wasn't 100% right here, would take a little trial and error to get it totally right but you get the idea.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #132
filipkacicar

Perfect work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
filipkacicar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #133
anantdeathhawk

TO [R-DEV]Rhino:Almost finished the UVW mapping of the 3P model except the air brakes and cockpit glass.Did exactly as you said.For the moment the texal density is different on every part.There are some parts which have not been UVWed correctly which lie deep inside the cockpit and inside of the exhaust, intakes and some places where a player isn't going to look much like inner sides of the flaps, etc.
Sent you a max file.

UVW sheet is a mess right now!

Thanks!
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #134
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Sorry been busy (with PUBGs, as well as r/l stuff ). Will try and take a look "Soon (tm)"

Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #135
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Right umm, taking a look at this now and ye, tbh I would start your UVW again from scratch as it is a pretty big mess right now with everything at different pixel ratios and many things messed up etc, would take more work to fix up your current UVs to be in the correct proportions to each other, let alone fixing all the other errors, than just to start again...

Taking my Frigate as an example again, if you look at it with the checker map on it you can see that everything is at roughly the same pixel ratio, other than the odd part that will hardly be seen or w/e.

Can you send me your latest scene before you merged all the objects together and started UVW mapping etc and I'll start you off and show you how I would go about UVing this

Old 08-03-2017, 03:35 AM   #136
anantdeathhawk

File sent.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #137
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Right sorry for taking so long to look at this, been super busy.

First of all I'm just documenting most of the changes I'm making, you don't need to make these changes yourself Anant, just keep these points in mind for any future work

Anyways firstly looking at your mesh there is still a little optimizing that can be done before starting with the UVs:

Bit of a smoothing issue where the wing joins the fuselage:

Now the only real way to fix this without spending loads of tris or using a HP normal map, is to have the wing slightly unwelded at the front, and have the fuselage not have those extra verts/edges for connecting onto the wing's curve and instead just have it simplifed to just have the front vert and edges, with a tiny bit of face going inside the wings connection, which wont use much extra UV space at all (most likley wouldn't be used by anything either way) and saves a few tris too. Just need to ensure the wing verts that aren't welded up, are slightly on the inside of the fuselage too:

Also while doing this I noticed your wings aren't totally lined up (note the right view)? I've fixed this up at the fuselage connection but not checked the rest of the wing, but ye, should try and keep everything totally symmetrical.

I also made the leading edge of the trail thin smooth and without screwing up the SGs for the sides or back too

As I've said in the past for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Also the hardpoints should NOT be welded onto the wings as firstly, there is no chance of them zfighting, since their bottom face is so far away, they don't waste any UV space which could be used by other things since the hole they make in the wings UV is too small to be used by anything else, they screw up the wings smoothing, waste tris and it just makes making the LODs etc much harder, with them also needing to be totally removed in the later LODs which would also expose the UV hole under them which would just be its shadow on the later LOD which is fine. As you can see on the J-10 for example, the hardpoints are just floating mesh on the wing:

Which are then totally removed in its later LODs, just leaving the shadow under them:
With the holes removed the smoothing is much better and fewer tris too:

Don't need all these edges inside the front landing gear hole:

Same goes for the doors (after its been fixed)

Found quite a few hidden faces in the cockpit:

And with the seat etc not welded to the floor, you're wasting quite a bit of UV space here:

On the Exocet hardpoint there you don't need these edges:

Fixed up a load of other issues, smoothing groups and optimized the main fuselage mesh down to 3k tris now but still quite a bit to do that will do later before I do the base UVs for this for you.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 08-21-2017 at 11:37 PM..
Old 08-23-2017, 03:18 AM   #138
anantdeathhawk

Thank you very much!
Didn't realize,reduction of some of those tris at the bottom.Yeah i might have misunderstood that hardpoint part.
Many thanks for doing the base UVs.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 AM   #139
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Right fixed up the 3rd person cockpit, took some remodelling to fully get it optimized well but now no huge hidden faces and welded up fully etc:

I also made the cockpit glass verts fully align up with the support outside verts, before some were and some weren't. (before: http://i.imgur.com/eqnypK5.jpg)

Speaking of the cockpit, one thing you should start working on while this is happening and I really should have thought of this earlier is making the First Person Cockpit model, which is arguably one of the most important parts of a jet model, since it is what is seen most of the time.

Only really decent cockpit ref I have, of the non-modernised version, is this one:

But there is also this manual I found, it is in French and can't seem to download it from the site without paying but still can view it online for free and has decent info/pics on the cockpit as well as other stuff: Manuel Pilote Super Etendard - Tome 1

You can also go a little crazy on the tri count of a 1p model, up to 10k tris is fine but wouldn't go much over that without good reason, also don't forget to include parts of the 3p model that you can see from out of the canopy (wings, possibly the nose etc) and can use the 3p model/textures for them, although maybe a little smoothed out / higher poly in places they might need to be but keep their old UVs but wouldn't worry about that part for now until they are UVed etc, just focus on the interior

Anyways back to the 3p model, next your slits for the cannon under the intakes really aren't working well right now, a bunch of smoothing errors and not really the right shape:

As per the refs it is much more rounded where yours is much boxier, although I know you planned to smooth things out with HP normals, the LP shape could still be much better:

New slits I've done for the cannons, smoothing isn't perfect but will do fine and can be fixed with HP smoothing

And also redid your LP Cannons since yours had lots of sides (88tris), double these ones which have the same number of sides as the slits (:

Anyways that's all for now, if you could look into starting the 1p model that would be awesome!

Old 08-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #140
WeeGeez
Supporting Member

Read the entire thread today. I can't wait to see it in action, exceptional!!

WeeGeez is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
etendard, super, vehicle, wip