project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
zombie-yellow

Send a message via Skype™ to zombie-yellow
Default How many tris for a C-130 static ?

Hello everyone

I'm doing a C-130 static for the upcoming map made by CTRifle (CFS Alert) and I have a question : how many tris should it have (for lod0 that is) ? I'm in fear of making a too high poly model for the BF2 engine.

So yeah, I just want to know the limit

By the way, I'm already half-way through the model, still need to do UVs, textures, LM, COL, LODs, etc... so, still a lot of work to do lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zombie-yellow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
[R-DEV]AFsoccer
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: How many tris for a C-130 static ?

The enterable cargoplane at: objects/staticobjects/xpak_objects/military/xp1_cargoplane is 21,000 tris. I wouldn't go any higher than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
zombie-yellow

Ok, thanks. But mine wont be enterable... So, lower limit or 21k is still good ?

EDIT: I've checked and done all the smoothing and subdivisions to all the parts that I made (fuselage, wings, all the tail elements and one engine (still WIP) and I'm hitting 11k tris, so I think the final model will be around 18-19k tris

Goin' back to work

Last edited by zombie-yellow; 03-26-2013 at 01:19 AM..
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Got pics? Would be good for modellers to have a look at it and give you feedback .

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
zombie-yellow

Dammit !

My plane (smoothed and subdivided) without the engines is 9k tris... and with the 4 engines (smoothed and subdivided too) it's 29k tris The problem is that I can't strip anything on the engines without them looking ugly up close.

Don't know what to do...

EDIT: here are some images (subdivided for the plane shots. Not subdivided for the engine wireframe)

This is the lone plane, without engines:

With engines:

Wireframe of the engine:

Last edited by zombie-yellow; 03-26-2013 at 02:45 AM..
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
[R-DEV]Moszeusz6Pl

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Moszeusz6Pl

I think it should be possible to add engines as different object, and give it such LOD switch distance, so maximum of 2 are in LOD0.

[R-DEV]Moszeusz6Pl is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
[R-DEV]Amok@ndy
PR:BF2 Comm Faction Lead
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Amok@ndy

is this plane planned to be a static on a runway or planned to fly around ?

[R-DEV]Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
zombie-yellow

It's gonna be a static on a parking spot.

zombie-yellow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY Send a message via Skype™ to lucky.BOY

Why are you subdividing it, anyway? The engine for example, with quite a bit of optimization, would be perfectly good a s lowpoly, i dont see any need to add more tris to it. If it is similar with the rest of your model, i can see where your problem lies.

Im not sure what you mean by smoothing, but in my books that doesnt add any tris to the model, it just controls the lightning of the model. It doesnt seem to me that you use it at all, tbh.

This might help?
Smoothing groups mini tut.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

First of all, tri limits are relative to the object your making and its design. At the end of the day, it should be as few tris as you can make it.

Secondly if your making a C-130, you shouldn't be making it to only be a static object. There are many different ways we could use such an aircraft in PR and as such, you should model it so it could be used as a vehicle / flying object as well as a static aircraft on the ground, keep your options open. This dose include making an interior, at least the cargo bay which is the most important aspect to making it flexible. But really, you should outline all its possible uses first.

As Lucky said, you should not be sub dividing a low poly model like this... That is only asking for trouble and wasting loads of tris... You should be hand modelling everything you need. Sub-division is only really for when your making high poly models, that are going to be to have normals baked from it etc, when tri count and optimization isn't important, which isn't the case here. In any case, your model shouldn't be anywhere near 10k tris without the engines, and 29k with is just waaay ott.

Next you really should have the wing welded onto the fusalarge, in its current state, the two are going to zfight where they overlap... Same with the tail fin, engines etc.

Modelling in blender is going to present many issues in the long run, which will most likley mean this model will never get ingame how ever good it is, unless your 100% determined to do the cross porting and error fixing yourself but in all likelihood if you where that determined, you would be modelling in Max9 to start with. I would advise you to stop modelling in blender right now and start from scratch in Max9 before its too late to turn back.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
c130, static, tris