project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
24 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator

Default [Help!]UV maps and re-texturing existing PR models

I created one thread for two problems, I hope that's ok

1. Attached poly Objects give split up UV map
I'll try to explain this the best I can, but I made a model, which is made of multiple objects attached to each other to 1 big object. When I make a standard UV map of this one object, and flatten it out, every face of every singular object is split up. I thought that if for example, a 6 sided box object was being UV mapped, all 6 faces would be linked to each other on the UV? Is there a way to do this with 3dsmax9 or a plugin? Cause for every object all faces are just randomly placed all over the UV map what makes it hard to texture.

2. retexturing existing PR models
First off all, am I allowed to do this? Secondly, Is there a way to open up a Mesh file in 3dsmax with all the LOD's and COL's in it, So I only have to retexture(with the UV maps being the same as the original) the LOD's, re-export them under a different name and attach the same tweak file as the original mesh too it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Mineral is online now Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Adriaan
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Help!]UV maps and re-texturing existing PR models

You should probably have a look at some basic UV mapping tutorials. Basically what you'd do is flatten map/planar map surfaces (consisting of one or multiple tris/polys) and then stitch pieces you want together (Tools, Stitch Selected).

I'm not sure if it's allowed (always allowed for personal use I guess, and if its something going in PR then it should be ok too, no distribution other than that probably). As for the opening of bundledmeshes, use the PoE tools plugin for max (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19669966/3D...ools_v0.30.zip) and import them using the object's con file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Mineral

thanks adriaan!
1. Oh, so it can't do it automatically? that's a shame.
edit: this doesn't seem to fit them together.

2. It's for a PR map so I guess it's ok then? oh, it can be done with POE? thanks!

Last edited by [R-DEV]Mineral; 07-09-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

1. As Adriaan said, you need to do UVs manually. Automatic UVs shouldn't be used, until you know what your doing with them and then they are only a time saver and not soultion.

2. Your generally allowed to retexture objects, the main thing is how you plan to use the re-textured object. It is best to ask for permission and for the orignal .psd files to work off (although generally we don't like handing out .psd files outside of the team, so you might have to settle for a flat .tga image etc) when retexturing so you don't get into the re-re-re-compression spiral that the .dds format brings which will screw up your texture.

I would also strongly advise you retexture using the BF2 editor, as you can set it up to instantly reload modified textures, and you can see the object with normal maps etc with the same engine/shaders the game uses, ie, it will look pretty much the same ingame as it dose in the editor, with the only real diffrence being the diffrent map's lighting maybe giving them a slightly diffrent colour per map. It isn't good to work off imported 3DsMax files as there smoothing groups and other things are all screwed up so your texturing something that dosen't look correct to start off with so that will make your texture look incorrect too. Only thing importing into max is good for is getting the UVs really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Adriaan View Post
use the PoE tools plugin for max (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19669966/3D...ools_v0.30.zip) and import them using the object's con file.
Thous btw are the old POE2 tools, the latest version of the POE2 tools is v0.30a (not v0.30). Latest tools: http://realitymodfiles.com/rhino/edi...max9_0.30a.zip

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
[R-DEV]Adriaan
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Thous btw are the old POE2 tools, the latest version of the POE2 tools is v0.30a (not v0.30). Latest tools: http://realitymodfiles.com/rhino/edi...max9_0.30a.zip
Ah, my bad! I was wondering if there wasn't a newer version I had missed, but couldn't find it quickly.

[R-DEV]Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
[R-DEV]Mineral

1. ok, that's disappointing but I guess this is the only way then.

2. It's the house_dest models. I want them retextured to fit more in the falklands map I'm trying to make. Since the original house_dest don't really fit that well.

You mean I can open the original house_dest, pick new textures replacing the old ones , give it another name and I'm done? That would be even faster, is there a good tutorial on this?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Doc.Pock

Theres a tut on texture palletes which explains texturing statics quite well. Its in the modding section. Oh and statics dont have their own texture sheets. They share them so you basicaly make a uv map onto the texture. Take a look at the entire tut as it explains it well

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
[R-DEV]Mineral

mmm,I'm looking into this again.

I'm still curious about this 'retexturing' threw the editor. The easy-st way would be a way to tell the editor to instead of using 'texture A' , use 'texture B' for that part of the mesh. So example for every part that uses
'houses_dest_01.dds' use 'houses_dest_01_goose.dds' for a copied version of that mesh? Is there a way to do this? This would keep all the UV settings and would be soo easy.

The only other way I see is to open the mesh in max and make a new UV and new textures. But this is a very slow progress.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Rudd
Supporting Member

you can change texture paths using bf2meshviewer I think

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...eshviewer.html

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

also this nice program
[tool] Bf2 Material Tool - Official BF Editor Forums

But yeah, Rhino can most likely tell you more about this, but you should just be able to clone and rename it, then point it to the different textures, the uv shells will not move.
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
existing, helpuv, maps, models, retexturing, texturing