project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
23 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
MrTomRobs

Default Modding - where do I start so I can help out?

Hey everybody!

My name's Tom and I've been following PR since 0.87. I'm graduating from Aberystwyth Uni this summer with a degree in Business IT, so I have a little experience in coding, but mostly Java and I didn't like it because I didn't get it because my lecturers were crap, but I digress.

In a nutshell, I want to start modding and put something back into PR and try and help develop it, but I have no experience WHATSOEVER in it, and I was wondering if people (especially Devs), can point me in the right direction? I saw a thread in the General Discussion section about the development timeline or something, and somebody commented saying that the PR team is looking for coders especially. It seems like there are plenty of modellers around with plenty to do, and I'm too poor to afford photoshop :P

So, community, if I'm looking to start modding the game and get on the development team, what languages do you suggest I start learning?

Kind regards

MrTomRobs

'There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those who can't.'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gwlad! Gwlad! Pleidiol wyf i'm Gwlad!
MrTomRobs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Doc.Pock

Default Re: Modding - where do I start so I can help out?

well BF2 is python based so thats the start. python is also prettier and easier to learn than java.

then there is the .con scripting language. you should check the modding tutorials section here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Spush
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

bfeditor.org, or here.
Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
MrTomRobs

That was quick! Much appreciated!

so Python is my best bet for starters then yeah? Obviously I've heard of it but I've never really used it, so this will be a good addition to my skill set, and I've never even started to think about scripting (aside from JavaScript etc etc), so that'll be my second port-of-call.

I've had a look at some of the tutorials here and as a complete novice i wasn't really sure where to begin! The whole thing looked pretty daunting!

But thanks for the feedback, as always, anything else anyone can give me would be appreciated!

'There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those who can't.'

Old 06-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Ye Python is most likely your best bet for getting started, db made a post here on it you might find useful
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...oding-bf2.html

Will keep an eye open to see what you come up with

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
MrTomRobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Ye Python is most likely your best bet for getting started, db made a post here on it you might find useful
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...oding-bf2.html

Will keep an eye open to see what you come up with
Cheers Rhino! Don't be expecting anything for a while yet though! But glad to get some support for it

Old 06-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Doc.Pock

also take a look at the .py files inside EA GAMES/BF2/mods/pr/
for reference

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
modding, start