project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
02 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
erichhart
Exclamation Hi-Res Weapon texture pack?

Hey guys,

This has probably been asked many times but what if just the community puts together a weapon skin pack for some of the weapons. Maybe even incorporated it with the PTRA sound packs that we the servers will have the skins and no kicks .

Lets face it some of the guns are bad. I know the team is going to be putting out a new version but we don't know all the guns will be re-amped. I want to bring more out of this mod. Its a good looking game for a bf2 engine but with other bf2 mods out there. Some of the guns lack eyecandy.

Im trying to learn the ins and outs of modding bf2 currenlty and I wanted to start some work on some poorly textured weapons. I know we can start by doubling the rez of the textures and going from there. I've seen some of the uv's and they are 512x512 we can get a lot more out of it if it's 1024x1024

SKS (although we have a new model coming into play )
AK-47
M249

I wanted to know if someone out there has already done this or tried too.
I just to mod back in the day for Call of duty UO and Medal of Honor and I did some CS:S skins. If anyone would like to start something.

Lets do this!
erichhart is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
SShadowFox

Default Re: Hi-Res Weapon texture pack?

The weapons are already pretty beautiful if you play on high settings, also PR wants gameplay realism, you can get both gameplay and graphic realism on PRA2, I think that if they really wanted to make better resolutions weapons they already did something or at least planned it, the same as in the Chinook, if they wanted weapons on it they already have did it.

Sorry if my English was not good on this post.
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

This isn't a good idea, I think most people who started using higher res textures than currently implemented will get CTDs from overuse of RAM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
erichhart

No its fine,

Well, I know this game is all about the gameplay, You can't get this type of teamwork any where else.

See this might get off topic here but Arma 2 doesn't focus on weapons textures or weapon models. There isn't any different reload animations. and ARMA2 is ment sluggish gameplay IMO.

back to the topic

I know some of the guns look great. But some look bad. Here my problem. Why does the Ak47 look bright and grainy. and the 74 different texture style and it looks good to me.

Just some guns need to be fixed. I forgot there is this new mod for BF2 thats redoing a lot of gameplay and weapon textures and shader effects and the mod looks great.

I think this would grab more peoples attention to the game. It worked in lots of games.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

iirc alot of vehicle texture sizes were decreased specifically because people were CTDing too much.

PR loads ALOT of textures, and for a period it went unnoticed that several PR maps were unoptimised in a texture context (lightmap files were too numerous)

If that other mod you are refering to is alpha mod, it loads alot less than PR does; it does look lovely but PR loads alot more textures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
erichhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
This isn't a good idea, I think most people who started using higher res textures than currently implemented will get CTDs from overuse of RAM.
Well like i said people with enough memory to run this. shouldn't have a problem with a few guns with doubling the rez of the textures.

I'm also not saying to go crazy and do 2048x2048 textures for the rock model in the game either.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY Send a message via Skype™ to lucky.BOY

Wel this inspired an idea in me:

I know that a lot of textures had to be decreased to avoid crashes on loading for some players, and I am perfectly fine with this. However, couldn't DEVs eventually release an official "high-rez texture pack" with all those shiny original textures? Optional, of course, players with high end computers could try it, see if they crash, and if not, they can keep it for more "eyecandy"

Gorgeus idea, isnt it?

Back on topic, erichhart I think you can go ahead and redo some of those textures you dont like, and maybe if the dev team thinks they are better than original ones, they wil put them in main build? One never knows..

-lucky

EDIT: post count 666, beware!

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
SShadowFox

OFF Topic

^ Oh my God, scary.
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

If you want to do some reskins, by all means go ahead. Doubling texture sizes is not really a thing unless you have a copy of the original .psd and scale the texture down from a larger size.

Like Rudd said though, we are hitting the limit of our memory budget (bf2 is limited in its memory, so having say 8gb makes no difference) thus we have to make compromises. The real key to getting a weapon looking great in the 1p is having a uv map that gives considerable room to detail right in the players face, thus reskinning can lead to unwanted results as you will always get a blury texture as the pixel density is low in the uvs map.
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
erichhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
Wel this inspired an idea in me:

I know that a lot of textures had to be decreased to avoid crashes on loading for some players, and I am perfectly fine with this. However, couldn't DEVs eventually release an official "high-rez texture pack" with all those shiny original textures? Optional, of course, players with high end computers could try it, see if they crash, and if not, they can keep it for more "eyecandy"

Gorgeus idea, isnt it?

Back on topic, erichhart I think you can go ahead and redo some of those textures you dont like, and maybe if the dev team thinks they are better than original ones, they wil put them in main build? One never knows..

-lucky

EDIT: post count 666, beware!
I like that idea aswell.

on a site note about the alpha mod...It wasn't that mod I was talking about.

Its this one.

Spec Ops Warfare mod for Battlefield 2 - Mod DB

Tags
hires, pack, texture, weapon