project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
24 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #51
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: scar light mk16

Not a huge fan of the dirt, it just feels noisy and loses all the nice shapes. Imo the main problem with it is still too much grunge in the spec, thus you get no nice smooth reflections off the metal it is all cloudy. The rubber could really do with some scuffs by painting in dark scuffs in the spec on the rubber.

I also still feel your materials are not there, currently on the updated pic your rubber is getting a stronger and thicker highlight than any of the metal parts at all which needs reversing.

Are you using a gloss map?

Keep pushing it
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #52
-kodiak-

I haven't done much work on the spec still. Its still a WIP on the diffuse so I'm gonna leave the specular work until all the diffuse elements have been finished. I have to respectfully disagree with your critique about the dirt making it too noisy and losing detail... The dirt is built up around places that dirt and sand would build up but is scratched away on the raised surfaces leaving the raised areas contrasted against the sand. I do appreciate the comments you guys have been leaving. I will have to work the spec once the diffuse is finished. I will keep your comments in mind when I'm doing the spec
-kodiak- is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #53
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

Definitely start the spec asap. Leaving the spec as a afterthought is a big no-no for nextgen assets. I used to do the same but it really is a bad idea. Easiest way to start is just copy your whole diffuse layer(s) and go through it and tweak it. All these materials need specular attention to look right in viewport shaders or modern engines.
quick mat guide http://i.imgur.com/Izywu.jpg

As to the dirt, Its just too much, it looks kinda strange when the rest of the weapon has very subtle wear. Imo you need to focus way more on scuffs to the rubber and nicks to the metal's paint than on any dirt. Check this ref as a really good guide for it
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ea/SVD_IRL.jpg
All highly frequented areas of the gun a nicked and scuffed, especially the end of the barrel, note how there is not much wear on the rear of the receiver at all.

Also a cavity map would be really nice as you get highlights that look like this
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...IMG_0043-1.jpg
Good tutorial for them on the bottom of this page
Untitled Document

I really want to see you push it and take it to the next level
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #54
-kodiak-

Thanks for the input Tim270. I have already seen those tutorials and stuff you linked. The donald phan ambient occlusion is a great one. I don't know where you heard about making your spec map so soon... seeing as how you use your diffuse map as a starter for the spec and tweaking it... Do you have any links to a tutorial for texturing the way your talkin about?

I have always seen it done by making your base materials and grunge layers and then duplicating them to the spec (with level changes and what not added)

The way you explained it seems rushed almost. Maybe i'm not understanding exactly what your saying. I do agree with the materials needing to be changed but i'm not there just yet. I have normally done my specular in the later stages because it's a lot easier to control EVERYTHING in clumps ie... base metal diffuse layers over to base metal spec layers and then tweaking them...grunge diffuse layers over to grunge spec layers and then tweaking them... etc etc etc... i tend to have the good ol' ADD and need to see some big changes or i just get bored

I do see a point in what your saying that getting a good base for diffuse and spec at the same time could come in handy.... kinda makes me think now that i'm typing it all... maybe i'll give that a shot when I texture the scar light... seems like it could come in handy
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #55
-kodiak-

Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #56
-kodiak-

All these images are on my website http://jeffroussakis.wordpress.com/gallery/dragunov/

Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #57
Spush
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Lovely work there mate. You considered helping out the PR team any?
Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #58
Cossack112
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack112

Indeed man, you have skills and I bet DEV team always look for such talent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cossack112 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #59
-kodiak-

Thanks guys. I would love to help out but i'm incredibly busy atm with work and personal contract work. I'm swimming in work

I wouldn't have a problem throwing this in a faction if they needed it but as for other assets I doubt i'd have time to complete something in a sufficient amount of time.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #60
-kodiak-

Shipping container. Still keeping with the hard surface stuff

Tags
light, mk16, scar