project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
17 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #151
Krazivan777
Default Re: [Code] Improved Ragdoll Physics

nice !!!!!!!!
Krazivan777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #152
[R-DEV]Arab
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

These ragdolls are great. Much better than the body jerking original BF2 ones.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Arab; 05-03-2014 at 06:51 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #153
orang satu

Wow! That's great.
orang satu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #154
zork
Default Re: Improved Ragdoll Physics

I have read the whole thread, but I think noone responded to this suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked_rye View Post
(Also, bit of a suggestion / question, but would it be possible to have a player ragdoll for about half a second after just being hit? So if they're running, get shot in the leg but not critically wounded, they fall over and have to get up again?)
As it stands right now, after getting hit for example in the torso area (with IOTV or similar vest on) there is really no effect untill your hp drops to below 25. In real life when you get hit in your vest even when there is no penetration you definetly fall down from the impact. You might be able to run away, but still this knock down power should be implemented for immersive combat experience.

Is it possible to employ ragdoll physics whenever player gets hit?
Last edited by zork; 07-10-2015 at 11:34 AM..
Old 07-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #155
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I don't think so. It would also be horrible gameplay wise IMO.

[R-DEV]Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #156
zork

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mineral View Post
I don't think so. It would also be horrible gameplay wise IMO.
What you mean "horrible gameplay wise"? IMHO Project Reality since its inception in 2005 is slowly but steady approaching milsim quality and is in the unique position now more than ever to be an alternative to the Arma series.

It has several elements that in my opinion are more true to reality than Arma that are valued by me -- namely no zoom when using iron sights, more believable recoil and accuracy, suppression and more authentic weapon animations. All these things added together make for a very immersive, authentic combat environment. I say "combat environment" because shooting down a range with AR platform is a completely different experience from being deployed in the field and under fire from insurgents. To me Arma recoil and accuracy feels like shooting down a range (even with ACE). On the other hand current PR somehow managed to simulate that real, authentic weapon handling (at least for me).

Considering all this good work that has been done by multiple developers throughout the span of 10 years, I hope the project will move even more into the milsim area, so that us, combat vets and/or military enthusiasts can have an alternative to the Arma series which I personally know since Poseidon demo was released in 1997 and was never really impressed with its engine.

Simulating real effects that bullets have on human body is a very important element here that differentiate PR from arcade shooters like Battlefield 4. Otherwise what is the point of implementing other things from milsim genre like suppression and realistic recoil?

Watch closely this real world footage. His body armor has not been penetrated and he lived but still the impact knocked him down.

If ragdoll physics is not possible to implement whenever player is hit then maybe it would be easier to implement dropping him to prone position similar to the way he falls down when hp drops to below 25. Is this something hardcoded in bf2 engine or is tweakable?
Last edited by zork; 07-10-2015 at 12:35 PM..
Old 07-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #157
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member

So we can't provide other realistic aspects unless we implement this? Cool

PR is not and will never be a milsim. We want a more realistic and authentic FPS combined warfare mod of bf2. I personally would alt f4 if any game makes my body ragdoll every time I get hit. It is exploitable, trollable, not properly doable in BF2, immersion and gameplay breaking and takes away your control of the game which is a big no-no in game development.

[R-DEV]Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #158
zork

I understand and respect your personal position on this. Though I am still under impression that there are many other people in this community (both devs and players) that are interested in exploring and adding some more realism and milsim elements to PR.

I really like the current version of PR in terms of realism. I understand the engine is limited in what it can do, but PR devs really made an excellent job.

My question was also purely hypothetical. I am new to modding BF2 engine, but I got a serious experience with Real Virtuality engine and was doing some personal modifications in both Arma series and VBS2 PE. So is this possible with the engine and where in the files tree I should look to start exploring this in single player mode?
zork is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #159
MikeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork View Post
I understand and respect your personal position on this. Though I am still under impression that there are many other people in this community (both devs and players) that are interested in exploring and adding some more realism and milsim elements to PR.

I really like the current version of PR in terms of realism. I understand the engine is limited in what it can do, but PR devs really made an excellent job.

My question was also purely hypothetical. I am new to modding BF2 engine, but I got a serious experience with Real Virtuality engine and was doing some personal modifications in both Arma series and VBS2 PE. So is this possible with the engine and where in the files tree I should look to start exploring this in single player mode?
Mineral is right. This game isn't and shouldn't be milsim in any way. Feel free to make a milsim mod for PR tho.

[3dAC] MikeDude
Loving PR since 0.2.
Last edited by MikeDude; 07-10-2015 at 03:11 PM..
Old 07-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #160
[R-DEV]BloodyDeed
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Well the discussion is pointless if it's not possible anyway.
And as far as I remember from back when I added these improved Ragdoll physics by Furealz, this is simply not possible.

[R-DEV]BloodyDeed is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
code, improved, physics, ragdoll