project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
27 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY Send a message via Skype™ to lucky.BOY
Default [Static] East Timor static / hut

Hello,
In response to these treads, i have started to work on a hut static.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...ast-timor.html
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...r-statics.html

I am however trying to make it generic, so it can be used in multiple theatres.

This is my refence:

What I have so far:

269 tris so far.

Questions:
I would like to make walls from one plane instead of two planes, right now they have thickness, which i want to get rid of (except for the entrance) to save up on tris. Sloud I do this? If yes, how do I do this? I dont quite understand how do I make a 2 sided poly, and how can i convert a 2 sided poly into a 1 sided poly...

EDIT: Also, as of now the model has 18 sides, and is about 3 meters across. Are 18 sides enough? Too many? Too few?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Static] East Timor static / hut

Looks like an ok start but really could do with some more, bigger edged face shots and also wire shots. This should help: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...de-assets.html

The main thing you should be concerned about right now before you start modelling is textures. Currently there are no textures like that in the mod iirc and you should probably be looking into make a few new texture palettes since with statics, you really need the textures before you model as you model to the textures, rather than texture to the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
I would like to make walls from one plane instead of two planes, right now they have thickness, which i want to get rid of (except for the entrance) to save up on tris. Sloud I do this? If yes, how do I do this? I dont quite understand how do I make a 2 sided poly, and how can i convert a 2 sided poly into a 1 sided poly...
To start off with, you can't have a double sided face in BF2 (other than when working with overgrowth). As such you should setup Max to view models in the same way you will see them ingame, by turning the Backface Cull on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
]First of all, when modelling for BF2 always have backface cull on, as this will render faces the same way BF2 dose, ie, if there is no face there it wont show it, where when you have it off it will add faces on to the back side of a face, making it look like there is a face in some places where there is simply no face. to do this simply select the object(s) and go into there object properties and check the box shown below.

Also you go to Customize at the top, > Preferences > Viewports tab, then check the Box in the top right section "Backface cull on object creation" will then make all new boxes etc you create have this option by default

So all in all, no you shouldn't get rid of the thickness, which even if you did would look much less realistic having a wall without any thickness to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
EDIT: Also, as of now the model has 18 sides, and is about 3 meters across. Are 18 sides enough? Too many? Too few?
Looks about right, possibly a few more edges for lod0 wouldn't hurt but not really necessary, you just need to smooth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Update
- added sides, it has now 21 sides
- added detail to the edge of the roof
- decreased edge count on the bottom of the foundation to save tris
- applied noise to the roof edge
- improved smoothing

The model seems pretty much final to me, but it probably isn't

345 tris at the moment

Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
[R-CON]sylent/shooter
PR:BF2 Contributor

I would try adding the supports that go around the circumference of the cylinder (little wire belts) :P It might make it to high tri count though. But worth a shot...

Killing the enemy sylently
[R-CON]sylent/shooter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent/shooter View Post
I would try adding the supports that go around the circumference of the cylinder (little wire belts) :P It might make it to high tri count though. But worth a shot...
Yeah, thought about that, I dont think its worth the tris it would add. They will be textured in, and they dont really stand out on the siloutte of the thing.

Also, thanks Rhino for all that info, its really usefull. Right know im trying to figure out the texturing tutorial, and then ill try to make some new texture palletes, hopefully.

-lucky

Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

I've been working on textures in the last days, and im getting pretty close to having them all ready. However, I have some questions on texture palettes:

- detail textures. They are transparent, but how exactly? Shoud it be transparent whole by one exact percentage, or should the transparency vary trought the texture?

- manual editing of normal maps. Isnt there any tut or anything on how to effectively edit normal maps, or is it all trial end error?

- texture palette layout. Where should i look for well made texture palettes, and what layouts should i avoid?

- This is more about actual model texturing - where can i find good dirt texture palettes, i mean those that contain actual dirt textures?

-lucky

Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Bumping this, because im now totally out of ideas on detail maps. I really have no clue on how to add transparency to detail map, i.e. what should i do with tileable texture to make it a detail map. Isnt there any tut on making texture palettes for BF2?

Btw, ive got my color map put together:

still WIP

Old 03-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Doc.Pock

The Rhino wrote it

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
[R-DEV]AFsoccer
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Take a look at the bfeditor.org forums, esp this one for textures:
Official BF Editor Forums -> Texture Creation

It has topics about transparency, normal maps, shiny surfaces, etc.

[R-DEV]AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Doc.Pock, i did that tut, i know about it, it teaches how to use of texture palettes, not how to make them. Thanks anyway . AFsoccer, thanks for the link, i digged deep in there and found some usefull info.

----

Im pretty happy with textures right now, except for one little thing - The crack layer is missing, when i view the model in bfeditor. I really dont know what can cause that. I can see it in the bfmeshviewer just fine. Any advice?

My texture palettes so far:

color, 1024x512

detail, 2048x512

crack, 1024x1024

a cracked soil detail texture, 512x512

I am also using houses_di.dds from pr/textures.

I'll post better pictures of the textured model (with normal maps) when i get the crack texture sorted out.

Tags
east, hut, static, timor