project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
18 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY Send a message via Skype™ to lucky.BOY
Default Re: [Static] East Timor static / hut

Update, I am now hopefully done with textures, only those bamboo bands that go around the sides have somehow messed up normals, as they are shaded upside down. Although that wont stop me from showing the rest of the thing:

YouTube Video

Also, here are my normal maps:

Any criticsm is greatly apreciated.
-lucky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Arnoldio
Banned

This, with some texture tweaks here and there is also good for Africa and Vietnam.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

LODs done!

(form left to right)
LOD0 - 343 tris
LOD1 - 245 tris
LOD2 - 104 tris
LOD3 - 18 tris

-now onto... COLs, is it?

-lucky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

IF you snuck a few "long straws" from the vertical stem slats at the bottom of this image
http://i.imgur.com/N1bZb.jpg

on to the top of the rock image, as a visual trick breaking up the transition between the exterior vertical rock wall and exterior vertical slat wall, it would go a long way toward softening that harsh transition area.

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
IF you snuck a few "long straws" from the vertical stem slats at the bottom of this image
http://i.imgur.com/N1bZb.jpg

on to the top of the rock image, as a visual trick breaking up the transition between the exterior vertical rock wall and exterior vertical slat wall, it would go a long way toward softening that harsh transition area.
Better?

Mind you, you linked a detail texture, not a color texture, but the idea is briliant, i just dont know why i didnt think about it . Thank you.

EDIT: Damn, you mean something completely different! I will try to do that too, will see what i can do there. But you already inspired me to make my LOD3 better, thanks for that

Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

I have some questions:

For my last LOD, LOD3, can/should I not use any crack texture? Cracks wont be visible at such distance, im wondering if its possible/needed to remove them.

About col3, I am wondering about this; the entrance is smaller that a standing man, so you have to crouch to be able to enter. I wonder if bots are able to crouch in order to get inside, so if i should model the inside on col3? If wouldnt need to, it would spare a fair amount of tris on col3.

-lucky

Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
[R-DEV]Amok@ndy
PR:BF2 Comm Faction Lead
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Amok@ndy

be careful with removing crack layer, if it changes the color its noticeable, if its just some posters hanging on the wall you can forget about this but having crack all over the building for some structur or sth like that you cant remove it without making it looks strange if the lods change

[R-DEV]Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to sweedensniiperr Send a message via Yahoo to sweedensniiperr Send a message via Skype™ to sweedensniiperr

couldn't you just make the entrance "transparent"?

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my prior message.

As you will see in the video below, the vertical walls of these huts are not usually made of very thin reeds, but of hand hewn plank wood of irregular size.

When they are close to ground, some planks will go in to ground, covering your rock foundation, and some will be several centimeters above the ground, leaving a dark void.

IF you do not plan to vertically stack your rock image, it would be good to create the reed's/timber's uneven transition on the top of the rock image.
I have seen a documentary on Irian Jaya, the island next to Timor, you will like it:

Cannibals and Crampons on Vimeo
Cannibals and Crampons

BBC

1x 60"

In the prototype for BBC Tribe, Bruce Parry and Mark Anstice walk for 77 days through the uncharted jungles of Irian Jaya, to attempt to climb a remote mountain. On the way, they stumble across a tribe of cannibals who have never seen outsiders before.

Winner at Banff Mountain Film Festival, Kendall Mountain Film Festival, the Australian Mountain Film Festival

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
For my last LOD, LOD3, can/should I not use any crack texture? Cracks wont be visible at such distance, im wondering if its possible/needed to remove them
IMO the easiest way to find out is just to do 2 test exports, view them both at a distance and see if it makes any significant difference...
[R-CON]Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
east, hut, static, timor