project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
hobbnob

Default [Help] Weapon Jams

Now before someone locks this because it's a suggestion or a resuggestion or whatever let me say this: The original suggestion was turned down because it was hardcoded, and this is a simple alternative.

My current work on this consists of a teeny weeny bit of code added into the tweak file of an assault rifle. It's a mutated version of the overheat scripting, and in theory it's the only thing I know of that can stop a weapon from firing mid-mag in the refractor engine.

YouTube Video

(Note: Filmed in vanilla because you can see the overheat indicator, just to see how long overheating/cooling takes)

In practice though, since it's non-dynamic you can only do so much with it, so this is what I have done: The weapons add 10% of the heat from a minimi, and it takes 10x longer to cool down afterwards. The video above is an example of this system, and as you can see it takes a lot of sustained fire to overheat the weapon, but takes a lot of time to cool down as well.

This will make players more hesitant to randomly spray and pray, which is common when players are handed an insurgent weapon. You'll also notice that the weapon completely fails when it's overheated.

M16 question regarding heat - AR15.Com Archive

According to this topic:
Quote:
The Army tested an M-4 to barrel failure by firing repeated 30 round magazines as fast as they could be changed. The barrel droped and failed at less than 500 rounds.
Now for gameplay purposes I don't think a rifle would last 500 rounds unless you were very patient, more like 300 I think, but obviously that would be extended in PR's gameplay, where firing is less regular. I have decided to make the weapon fail completely upon overheating because when a machinegun barrel overheats it can be changed, but AFAIK that's not possible on rifles. I'm not certain on this though as I've only ever stripped L85's.

Just a bit more to keep the R-MODs at bay: This isn't in the suggestion forum because it's not a suggestion, but a request for information/inspiration. If the devs decide they like it then they can have it, but this topic is just here to ask for any more ideas on implementation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by hobbnob; 08-12-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
ZondaX15

Default Re: [Help]Weapon Jams

I like it

AFAIK, weapon jams can happen for a few different reasons: Heat, dodgy magazines, dodgy ammo, dirt, etc.
I'm no master of coding, but I imagine it would be possible to make it so you have to reload to 'cool down' the gun.
I doubt this is possible, but if you could make it so the overheating temperature changed randomly, so the gun randomly jams, as opposed to jamming at a set number of rounds in a certain time frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZondaX15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Wakain

nice idea, though I doubt if I've ever fired this many rounds in any round of pr (perhaps in an installment of call of duty, but of course that's a completely different story). the lower game-pace in pr doesn't really allow for this spraying
Wakain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

There are a few problems with this method that I can see.
  1. It dosen't represent jams realistically as noted. In r/l, jams mostly occur when the weapon is not reloaded properly, dirt gets into the mag etc. Since each time you reload proper reload drills for the weapon are done, jams should be extremely rare on most weapons ingame. If we had a "fast reloading" option that didn't carry out the entire drill and that added a bigger jam risk that could be somewhat workable, but we can't in the BF2 engine.
  2. You can't seem to "fix a jam" in your video, I take it you just have a really long cool down period which looks really odd and means the player can't do anything in that time, in fact he could switch to another weapon and just use that the entire time while the weapon is cooling down... if somehow you could only fix the jam by reloading, which would be the most realistic way I can think of in BF2, you would then loose all the bullets in the mag you where fixing...
  3. What dose this actually add to gameplay? From what I can see, very little unless like above, you had a "fast reload" option where you could reload really quickly, but you may have to pay the penalty of a jam for it, but since that isn't problem, I don't see this adding anything to the game...

Anyways nice work, but don't think its workable.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
CroCop
Project Reality Beta Tester

This thread anyone?

CroCop is online now Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
hobbnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
There are a few problems with this method that I can see.
  1. It dosen't represent jams realistically as noted. In r/l, jams mostly occur when the weapon is not reloaded properly, dirt gets into the mag etc. Since each time you reload proper reload drills for the weapon are done, jams should be extremely rare on most weapons ingame. If we had a "fast reloading" option that didn't carry out the entire drill and that added a bigger jam risk that could be somewhat workable, but we can't in the BF2 engine.
  2. You can't seem to "fix a jam" in your video, I take it you just have a really long cool down period which looks really odd and means the player can't do anything in that time, in fact he could switch to another weapon and just use that the entire time while the weapon is cooling down... if somehow you could only fix the jam by reloading, which would be the most realistic way I can think of in BF2, you would then loose all the bullets in the mag you where fixing...
  3. What dose this actually add to gameplay? From what I can see, very little unless like above, you had a "fast reload" option where you could reload really quickly, but you may have to pay the penalty of a jam for it, but since that isn't problem, I don't see this adding anything to the game...

Anyways nice work, but don't think its workable.
Good points, to which I have no retort :/

Yeah it's a long cool down time, a few hours I think lol. Since you can#'t have obstruction stoppages for the reasons you stated I simply made it an overheat function, since I'm guessing from the thread I linked to that a rifle can overheat the same as an LMG. The heat add time was increased to get a reasonably accurate value according to the thread, but since it didn't include a cool down time then I just made it a lot slower since it's got handguards etc that cover the barrel and presumably make cooling less efficient.

hobbnob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
PoisonBill
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to PoisonBill

How about dropping your kit and picking it back up again, this would represent a "clear jam" or "clean weapon". If it can remove the overheat it could be functional.
PoisonBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY Send a message via Skype™ to lucky.BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBill View Post
How about dropping your kit and picking it back up again, this would represent a "clear jam" or "clean weapon". If it can remove the overheat it could be functional.
But really silly, and a big chance for noobs to drop this game, because they couldn't really know that every few mags you have to drop your kit. This is really a good effort, but i dont think it can be done well in refractor engine.

-lucky

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
helpweapon, jams, weapon