project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Project Reality News
23 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Project Reality News Project Reality news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #21
TimmyTossPot
Default Re: Forum Breach

Can we not just upgrade the forum to a later version or current up to date different software?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #22
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Holder of the vbulletin license left the team. Neither do we have the funds to get a new one. This forum has a large amount of custom systems build in as well that with any change of software will very likely break. So as stated in the OP, we are sort of locked to what we have now. Which is fine on itself outside from missing modern features and visuals, and the lack of security updates.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #23
Colonelbruno
Supporting Member

Old 07-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #24
K4on
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonelbruno View Post
haha that's a good one!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #25
Vista

A vb5 license costs 250$, pretty sure you can crowd-fund that. Now I'm not sure about all the custom scripts and stuff that you guys are running but sacrificing them I guess is a bit better than getting hacked IMO
Old 07-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #26
MaSSive

This disposable mail thing. I dont get how it works exactly. All those are time limited, so if I link that to this or any forum how would recover if I lost password for example. I am thinking of doing it but if anyone can explain. I dont see how that works. Got me worried here.

Also what Vista said. I am sure you can find a webmaster to do an upgrade for you.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
Old 07-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #27
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Wouldn't it be sensible to clean the member list to remove and erase anyone with no posts for the last six months.

At least that would mean far less people to be hacked and less memory used?

Old 07-30-2016, 03:46 AM   #28
INVIS
Supporting Member

Regarding the vb5 upgrade, I'd not recommend going for vBulletin again. They keep doing the same mistakes over and over and just don't give a damn about exploits in their older products. Simply overcomplicated, outdated CMS software. I'd say IPB4 is a good forum software. There are enough data-migration tools for all major forums, you can convert vb3 data over to ipb4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSSive View Post
This disposable mail thing. I dont get how it works exactly. All those are time limited, so if I link that to this or any forum how would recover if I lost password for example. I am thinking of doing it but if anyone can explain. I dont see how that works. Got me worried here.
I would use outlook.com in your case, you can create up to 10 alias e-mail addresses for free there. Create one just for the squad forums and PR forums and you're good.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #29
mectus11
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonelbruno View Post
Gifs are way cooler.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #30
Gaz
PR Retrobate
Supporting Member

Hopefully I can help, been AFK for a while lol. Is Slick not about?? Fritz? Unfortunately I removed a lot of my own red tag access after retiring but last thing I want to see is PR shafted. Email me.

<<<<< butts. mmmmmmmmmmm missed that avatar

"By profession I am a soldier, and take pride in that fact. But I am prouder, infinitely prouder, to be a father". - Gen Douglas MacAurthur.
-Proud wearer of motorcycle helmets since 1998.
Closed Thread

Tags
breach, forum