project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Project Reality News
19 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Project Reality News Project Reality news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 04:48 AM   #21
Curry
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: Keep Project Reality Alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curry-Chicken View Post
I will stay away from donating any more money until I see more transparency! And I advise everyone to do the same.
Don't get me wrong I'm more than happy to chip in some bucks but I want to know for what.
Just adding a huge banner on top of the forums and changing the donations bar WITHOUT ANY informations seems a little fishy dear DEV team.

On what are you spending 1,5k PER month? Donations always went to the website and the web servers IIRC, as far as I know AM is still hosting the PR master server out of his own pocket. If that changed why isn't there any news about it? Do you want support or not?

In german there is a saying: 'bei Geld hoert die Freundschaft auf' ('money breaks friendships')
And indeed it does. Once again the PR (public relations) work of the PR team fails.

Why are you not asking the community to help out in a different way? Every server admin is happily going to share their hardware, if that makes sense or not doesn't really matter at this point. Since we are not getting any informations at all.

Talk to us if you want support from us, the website could also just have been hacked, I mean who knows? On what the heck are spending 1,5 grand per month?

Again, please don't get me wrong, I love this game and its community but raising the monthly donation goal without providing any informations is definitely not the way to go.

cheers,
Curry.
I decided to post in the other thread and not in here thread since I respect the work and time you guys out into this and I don't want to stop people from donating. As well as I don’t know what others think. But I guess you asked me to post here now?

Why wasn't there a donation run before then? An announcement? Anything? Now it is just an emergency donation run… donate now or we'll shut it down. That is how donation runs work indeed (with fear) but then we can expect some transparency since we are sitting in the same boat, are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]2Slick4U View Post
The cost of Project Reality's web server, domain names, code signing certificate, etc. however are not free. On average, it cost the team around $400 a month to keep developing Project Reality!
Seriously, the only reason for 1,5 grand per month would be okay if AM would get his share but in the News there is not a single word about the Master Server.

Curry.

Last edited by Curry; 04-09-2015 at 04:58 AM..
Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #22
Dr_Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curry-Chicken View Post
I decided to post in the other thread and not in here thread since I respect the work and time you guys out into this and I don't want to stop people from donating. As well as I don?t know what others think. But I guess you asked me to post here now?

Why wasn't there a donation run before then? An announcement? Anything? Now it is just an emergency donation run? donate now or we'll shut it down. That is how donation runs work indeed (with fear) but then we can expect some transparency since we are sitting in the same boat, are we?

Seriously, the only reason for 1,5 grand per month would be okay if AM would get his share but in the News there is not a single word about the Master Server.

Curry.
Read the post literally 2 posts above yours.

"Sorry, i dont english" - Zootsuit, Al Basrah, 2014.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:27 AM   #23
[R-DEV]Arab
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Idea: Why not have Google Ads on this site like AdChoices? It can be non-obtrusive since you can select what ads you want, and it pays for the website and all.

Have one on the forum at the top, and have one on the main page at the bottom.

I donated $50 by the way
Last edited by [R-DEV]Arab; 04-09-2015 at 05:33 AM..
Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 AM   #24
Tankbuster28000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab View Post
Idea: Why not have Google Ads on this site like AdChoices? It can be non-obtrusive since you can select what ads you want, and it pays for the website and all.

Have one on the forum at the top, and have one on the main page at the bottom.

I donated $50 by the way
As they wrote in the opening post, they had that but Google blocked the forums from their Ads as we talk about guns and 'promote' it, which is not allowed.

Click my signature!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:40 AM   #25
[R-DEV]Arab
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankbuster28000 View Post
As they wrote in the opening post, they had that but Google blocked the forums from their Ads as we talk about guns and 'promote' it, which is not allowed.
I was just about to edit my post and you beat me to it :P Yeah it's stupid of google.

There's alternatives other than Google's silly ad service, but there must be a good reason why they haven't done it yet. Googling "adsense alternative" has a lot of results. All about finding the right one, which takes time.

This is one link which places them in Top 10 rankings, with prices:
Top 10 High Paying Google Adsense Alternatives (2015)

There's RevenueHits. Review here: RevenueHits Review: Best Ad Network for Publishers & Advertisers

There's also Adversal which is $20 to start up but I have no experience with ad-services so I'll leave these to the knowledgeable people.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Arab; 04-09-2015 at 05:48 AM..
Old 04-09-2015, 05:41 AM   #26
Dr_Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab View Post
I was just about to edit my post and you beat me to it :P Yeah it's stupid of google.

There's alternatives other than Google's silly ad service, but there must be a good reason why they haven't done it yet. Googling "adsense alternative" has a lot of results. All about finding the right one, which takes time.
That's what i suggested, like in my very first post in this thread, community is small and they ask over 5k a year from it per year. They cant rely on us to provide them money

"Sorry, i dont english" - Zootsuit, Al Basrah, 2014.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #27
[R-DEV]Arab
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Death View Post
That's what i suggested, like in my very first post in this thread, community is small and they ask over 5k a year from it per year. They cant rely on us to provide them money
True. Maybe Google's bot thought it was against the rules, and automatically shut down the AdSense Account, thinking they broke the rules: https://support.google.com/adsense/a...elated_content
Code:
 Not Acceptable
Sites that sell firearms, ammunition, and gun accessories
Sites that catalogue individual firearms
Sites that drive traffic to firearm sales
Sites in the U.S. that sell Airsoft guns and DO NOT have the appropriate disclaimer on the landing page
Sites that sell knives or weapons with an intended violent use
Sites that teach bomb or other explosive-making or give instructions on how to harm or kill
Sites that sell fireworks or pyrotechnic devices
Which is a load of crap since PR isn't a gun website, and doesn't have illegal content like torrents (It's against the rules), and it's just your average mod/usual message board. I hope for an update since Google obviously stuffed up. Revive BF2's website is the same type as this (battlelog.co) so I hope they sort it out with Google. Best to call them up since it's quicker than email.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:58 AM   #28
Curry
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

So what are the debts then? I understand that some informations doesn't belong here but at the same time you are asking for money. How bad is it, are we just barely writing red numbers or are we speaking about bigger numbers? When will we switch to a cheaper method?

Please understand my scepsis, whenever someone comes and asks for money I want to know what for - especially on the internet.
Share with us what you can so we can go out there and help to keep this going! We still want to play this great game! We got your back!

Curry.

P.S.: I write as 'we' because we are sitting in the same boat

Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #29
[R-DEV]camo
Supporting Member

Curry adsense got cancelled, it took a while for people to notice, backup funds ran out, and the money is used for what it will always be used for, upkeep of forums and servers. Never for personal profit. It wasn't left to create a "panic" to increase donations.
Sorry if its not my place to say but ill just chip in with that before you get too excited with the conspiracy theories:P
Also its only for 1 month, I believe it'll go back to normal next month.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #30
Rezza
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Rezza Send a message via Skype™ to Rezza

You have every right to ask what the money is for but there is already enough info. Obviously they have been paying out of their own pockets to keep this going. If an old friend I spent 5000 hours with asks for some help after he helped me out so many times over I wouldn't question him or her.

Yea this might be the internet but this is the PR team we are talking about who are delivering free content since 2005 full of respectable developers and community.

There is scepticism if there is no trust. I have %100 trust in the PR team that they need this money and that they will use it to extend the life of the PR service without going deeper in their own pockets.

Closed Thread

Tags
alive, project, reality