project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
31 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
SirNerd
Default Memory fix does not work

Vista 64 home Premium. 8 gigs

CTD when a map finishes loading. No error. Only in PR and not BF2

Tried the Memory fix and using C++ myself to alter the exe.

Tried changing the graphics settings to medium.

Tried setting the affinity of my processor to just one core and running as ADMIN.

This is a clean installation. Wiped hardrive and a fresh install of Vista. Nothing left of Previous version of PR. Game did run with .8 though

I'll try reinstalling both BF2 and PR to see if it works. Any ideas on whats wrong.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
DudeofDeath
Supporting Member

Default Re: Memory fix does not work

I have a similar problem, updated drivers to 181, and used the exe that allows 2 gigs ram on Vista but I still crash 80% of the time after playing one game then loading the map for the next game, crashes as it finishes loading.

My fix is just quitting a game at the end when I see the score screen come up, then re-entering the game and all seems fine.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
pclipse_teh_owner

most likely the BF2.exe. Let me link you to the post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
pclipse_teh_owner

Look at the last tip, and do it:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...s-v0-85-a.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Epim3theus

Start with the simple stuff before trying to do thd difficult stuff, like that memory fix.

I'm not shure if i fixed anything, but i have Vista 64 and 4 gigs.
I changed three things:
1. I had my virtual mem put to high probably first 8600, now under 8000. (cause Vista said i had 4.321 or so RAM)
2. Textures back on medium, just like you.
3. I had overclocked my 4850 rather high with the newest Ati 8.12 driver, lowered that a bit. (card didn't run hot or anything, didn't need the oc.

That's all i did, iirc in that order, but it stopped the CTD's somehow. I play laggles, with all on high exept the textures. But onces you start playing .85, that doesnt matter anymore.

If you can read this the bitch fell off.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
SirNerd

How do i play without a Page File.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
pclipse_teh_owner

Page file?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
DesmoLocke

Send a message via AIM to DesmoLocke Send a message via Skype™ to DesmoLocke

Are you sure you did the C++ fix correctly? I had the same problem you described and that C++ guide fixed it for me on Vista 32 bit. Mind you I run 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 and 6 GB of virtual ram/pagefile.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
thepalerider

Arrow Re: Memory fix does not work

SirNerd
Turn off the page file through the
control panel/system,advanced system settings/performance/advanced(tab)/virtual memory(page file)
Uncheck automatically manage paging file.
Set 'no paging file' for each hard drive (or partition) listed and click 'set' after each.
With 8 gigs of ram you don't need it.
However that's not going to uncap the 2 gig limit on BF2.
Someone has made it easy for less geeky gamers by posting a link to the uncapped (patched) BF2.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AncientMan View Post
If that STILL doesn't work, you can try patching your bf2.exe to allow it to use more than 2GB of memory. Firstly, you want to backup your current bf2.exe in your /Battlefield 2/ folder. To do this, simply rename it from bf2.exe to bf2.exe.original. You should back it up incase you have any issues in the future. Now you need to download the patched bf2.exe. This can be found in THIS zip file (THIS one if your using the EA Downloader version) (If you get a virus warning, ignore it, just a false positive). Simply extract it next to bf2.exe.original, and your good to go. Thanks to R.J.Travis for the original method.

"There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory"

I play on
where it's all about the teamwork.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
SirNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalerider View Post
SirNerd
Turn off the page file through the
control panel/system,advanced system settings/performance/advanced(tab)/virtual memory(page file)
Uncheck automatically manage paging file.
Set 'no paging file' for each hard drive (or partition) listed and click 'set' after each.
With 8 gigs of ram you don't need it.
However that's not going to uncap the 2 gig limit on BF2.
Someone has made it easy for less geeky gamers by posting a link to the uncapped (patched) BF2.exe
Tried both the Memory fix on the Forums, as well as the manual way using C++ myself. Disabling Page Filing did not work.

Tags
fix, memory, work