project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
25 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Default handshaking/Key Packet fail wont stop!

I have tried everything found on the forums and on there FAQ. I have uninstalled BF2 and reinstalled it then PR. I have installed and uninstalled punkbuster several times, checked for updates, checked firewalls and everything is fine. How can i fix this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
SocketMan

Default Re: handshaking/Key Packet fail wont stop!

Can you post a screen shot of the exact error message?

I remember a while back getting the " loosing key packets" or something
similar but there was nothing in regards to the handshaking.
So this is something different I think.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

I get 2 different kinds, "Handshaking Failed" and then "Losing Key Packets".

Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
SocketMan

I've had the "loosing key packets" before and that was due to a bad
connection to the server. Where one (or more) routers in between me
and the game server were "dropping packets".

WinMTR - 0.8

You can try this trace route program: put in the IP address or the name of the server and see if packets are lost along the way.

The handshaking I am not sure about,think it's something to do with your
router/firewall.Maybe try disabling/bypassing any firewall and or your
router to see if it helps?

Palerider might have some ideas when he wakes up

edit**
This sounds like what you got:

Originally Posted by thepalerider View Post
All thou it's been said many times before,
Update your punk buster with pbsvc

pdsvc installs/uninstalls pbsetup and can test your punk buster installation for problems.

pbsetup lets you easily update your punk buster files

make a shortcut for both on your desktop.

Here's what punk buster has to say on their web site about "handshaking failed"or "Losing Key Packets":

""Since the new components have been installed, I now get kicked from PunkBuster servers for "handshaking failed" or "Losing Key Packets", how can I fix that?"

Some other software programs such as virus scanners, firewalls and Internet security software packages are suspicious of any new services and kernel drivers when they are first released. Some of these will block our new components thereby causing the "Losing Key Packets" kicking. Until these various packages are updated to correctly identify PnkBstrA.exe, PnkBstrB.exe, and PnkBstrK.sys as components of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat System, players who experience PunkBuster kicks due to these conflicts need to either manually adjust the settings of the other software running on their system or disable the other software while playing on PunkBuster enabled servers. The new PunkBuster components make use of network resources and also frequently update files in the Windows system folders. This activity triggers warnings or blocks by some other security programs, some of which consider all unknown programs as threats or malware. Our new components are simply extensions of the existing PunkBuster system using new services and kernel software drivers, and are each signed with Verisign / Authenticode digital signatures for verifiable authenticity purposes. Most major security packages do not block our new components; users with other software that causes these conflicts should contact the vendor of their security package and request an update to correct this conflict."

Hope it helps
Last edited by SocketMan; 08-11-2008 at 07:02 AM..
Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
thepalerider

Arrow Re: handshaking/Key Packet fail wont stop!

The most common cause of 'Connection to server has been lost' seems to be caused by punk buster and firewall issues.
Remember it is recommended that you restart your system after you install/uninstall programs to ensure all installed components, files and registry entries are correctly installed or removed.
So it is key you restart after using pbsvc uninstall.

Some routers with 'packet inspection' turned on can also trigger a disconnect when game data or voip traffic triggers a false "ping flood"attack and the router shuts down needed ports to protect your network.
So try turning packet inspection off to see if that helps.
If you have a busy network you can also get dropped if your packets are consistently getting delayed due to high traffic.( your ping jumps way up from time to time)
If your running Xp you can tune up your internet connection with TCP Optimizer to maximize throughput.
check out speed guides web site
click here to use their TCP/IP Analyzer
results will show if you can improve throughput.

Having a router like D-links gamers lounge, that can prioritize traffic( they call it GameFuel), can make a night and day difference.
This GameFuel improves your online gaming experience by ensuring that your game traffic is prioritized over other network traffic, such as FTP or Web. This is of corse much more helpful on networks with more than one user, but if you like to download bit torret or other large files in the background while gaming you'll be glad you have one that can prioritize or 'shape' traffic.

good luck

"There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory"

I play on
where it's all about the teamwork.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
MrD
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to MrD

sometimes you need to turn your router off and on, waiting until it refreshes totally.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

MrD I think I will, my internet runs through it and never thought of it. ill try that and see what happens. Ill also try to run my IP to the servers.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
[R-CON]Tomato-Rifle
PR:BF2 Contributor

Send a message via MSN to [R-CON]Tomato-Rifle Send a message via Skype™ to [R-CON]Tomato-Rifle

I just restart my pr and its fine

Tags
fail, handshaking or key, packet, stop