project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
18 Mar 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #1

Default Stuttering with "Connection Problems" message?

For some reason, every time I play, I get stuttering (every 20-30 seconds) that is somewhat like that caused by lack of RAM, but I get the "There is a problem with your connection" message every split second with the stutters. This happens on Medium settings with 100% view distance, regardless of ping.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+
nVidia 8600 GT 256mb
Realtek HD Audio card
Windows Vista Home Premium (running in XP SP2 compatibility mode)

Windows Experience Rating: 5.2 (doesn't really matter anyway)

I've already gone through updating Punkbuster and tweaking page files, and nothing seems to work - I'm considering a new partition with XP Professional just to run games, because of this.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #2

Bad connection to the servers I guess..

Where are you located?

You might have to increase your internet speed..
Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #3

I'm in central New York, running Verizon FiOS with a wireless adapter (probably part of the issue), and my ping is anywhere from 10 to 60 on most servers, with the occasional 100ms ping on European servers. How could this possibly be an internet speed issue?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #4

1) You can run a trace route to the server(s) and look to see if there isn't any major latency or errors on any hop along the path.

2) If not direct speed levels or pronounced latency on route, then maybe your signal levels? What I'm getting at is the DSL wiring and connection from pole to house and in-house. You could have Verizon perform a line check. Ask them to confirm and provide you with the promised signal levels for your DSL modem Then compare the signal levels your receiving.(again I reiterate; your not asking them for speeds but for frequencies and signal to noise levels)

Also inquire if you are configured to Fast Path or Interleave.
- Fast Path is used when signal levels are solid and supports greater speeds)
- Interleave is used when signal levels are questionable. (And there has been a lot of reported fudging by Verizon including an investigation by the NY and Pennsylvania Public Service Commissions. Go to and search the news archives for Verizon)

Old 11-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #5

Originally Posted by gclark03 View Post
How could this possibly be an internet speed issue?
If you had a 64k modem then it could have been. -.-
Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #6

I'm not running DSL, it's FiOS - can't remember the advertised speed in Mbps, but it runs at a consistent 54Mbps with Very Good wireless signal quality. It's definitely involved with the connection, because PR runs flawlessly on a local server and in singleplayer BF2. (This happens only with BF2, other online games aren't affected at all. To hell with EA - enough said.)
Old 11-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #7

I think I am having a similar problem, needs more testing...

I think it is to do with vista and wireless, search in google for "windows vista bf2 network lag".
Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #8

Try disabling VoIP (Options / Audio / Voice over IP) just in case...
Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #9

Right, this is what I did. Reinstalled and updated punkbuster, from a thread around here somewhere. Turned off notification of new networks (donĀ“t think that makes a difference though) and still got lags. Then, turned settings from textures high to textures medium, nice smooth online gameplay. Just to say, offline, or in local server it was smooth, but online laggy, now, with textures on medium, it is smooth online aswell.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #10

im having the same problem
I also have wireless and it mostly runs at 54.0MBps

connection problems, message, stuttering