project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
25 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
thepalerider

Default lad vista 64 bit

I take it you are on a wired connection and not getting a lag spike every 60 seconds from vista auto looking for a better network (check this link)
You only have 2 gigs of ram and vista is a ram hog due to it preloading every thing it can to ram. Try getting a super fast usb flash drive, like the xporter that is at least 2 gigs, so you can take advantage of ready boost (the accesses time for the system to read from a hard drive 8-12 ms but 1 or 2 ms for flash) mine is like a 200x speed 4 gigs I got for 40 bucks but newer ones of 260x speed are on the way with much larger sizes : 8,16 32 gig. If you have a extra small drive (2-6 gigs)around use it for just your paging file. Use what ever size windows wants (usually 1.5 of real ram size) only on than drive. Custom set the min and max the same. Turn off all others.Allso download my pc speed to check if packet loss is causing your slowdown. Vista auto tunes your tcp stack. You can turn it off with command line then fine tune it with tcpoptimizer check your setup here
Remember to set the compatibility to xp and run as admin.
BE SURE TO SAVE OLD SETUP FIRST THING AND RENAME IT
something like tcp ORG setup.
Setting a restore point before screwing around is ALLWAYS GOOD!
Hope this helps

"There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory"

I play on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
where it's all about the teamwork.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #22
cri74

Does anyone experience CTD's after 3-4 rounds, when new map loads?

I use Vista 64 - Q6600 - 4gb ram@800 - 8800Gts 640mb :: I have the "run as XP sp2" setting + run as Admin enabled. The hotfix is installed but i still get the CTD's. I would be very-very happy if somone could tell me they had a sulution for this problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------

Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 AM   #23
DarthDisco

I too just made the switch to Vista 64 and have noticed a significant performance drop from XP. Even though I have 4GB of RAM for PR to choke on.

I believe the biggest problem with Vista based lag is not a video card compatibility issue but a memory allocation issue. Vista uses system memory differently than XP does. Whereas PR could use nearly 2GB of memory on XP, Vista now only lets it have 1.5 GB of memory. This combined with the new way Vista caches means that PR has to wait much longer to load crucial textures.

If anyone has some experience with Vista 64, perhaps they have found a way to manually allocate memory to programs? Perhaps through task manager?

Anyways, I believe that to be the ultimate solution.

|TG-XV| DiscoJedi

How's my flying? Call 1-800-FLY-JEDI
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 AM   #24
Akn0t

Hello everyone.
I came to this forum as I experience CTD all the time, so decided to register and renew the this topic as the last post may have a solution. Anyway, as more people move to Vista and PR gets better, we should find a solution to this problem.

My case same as those described above. I had lags (fixed by affiliation), and I also have problems with CTD.
The system is:
Vista Business 32
Dual Core 2ghz
2GB RAM
GeForce 8600M GT 256mb
I play on my laptop and temperature of the video card is just fine.
Some clues:
It CTD in the middle of the game or when loads a following (not the first map). It also has freezes sometimes for 3-7 seconds.
and a couple of times I had an actual error message stating a "memory error". It wasn’t one of those generates by Windows, by definitely produced by FB2. Usually, I don’t see that error message.

I will try to research memory allocation in Vista and post what I find here. If anyone has got any ideas, please leave them here.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 AM   #25
musp3r

Hi,

I think you may have seen this thread .

Basically, it all comes to applying all existing patches and fixes.
I do not run BF2.EXE in XP compatibility mode, nor as an admin.
I have decided to turn off some Vista services such as Defender, SuperFetch, WindowsSearch/Indexer etc. Try to google on turning off vista services to ease up memory and system usage.

I had XP32 on i965/Q6600. Since I've installed V64U on iP35/Q6600, I would never go back to XP. Vista 64 and all applications and games runs faster and smoother for me. At least those that works

System:
Vista64 Ultimate
Q6600@2.4Ghz
4GB@800Mhz
8600GTS 256MB

Old 02-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #26
Akn0t

Thanks for the advice.. In my case I fixed all the problems by now apart from one, it still CTD when loads a following (not the first map). That means I can play only one map, than restart a game.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #27
Cheeseman
Retired PR Developer

All of your problems can easily be fixed by setting textures only to medium.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #28
CodeC.Seven

Send a message via ICQ to CodeC.Seven Send a message via MSN to CodeC.Seven

well i use better hardware but the same system... i got absolutely no problems sometimes my sound is lagging a bit but that happens once per week a few minutes.

But 2GB of ram is not that good for Vista Ultimate because 1GB of it is reserved for Windows Vista and than you got 1GB left for PR.

-Sig removed-
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #29
Woolfson

Send a message via MSN to Woolfson Send a message via Skype™ to Woolfson

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Cheeseman View Post
All of your problems can easily be fixed by setting textures only to medium.
I'm using the medium for textures for almost 2 years now...It's not that (directly) it is lack of RAM as CodeC.7 said, I have 2GB - but with "Genius MS Vista mem. allocation" the min. is 4GB in order to have a comfort experience of a game/s...

btw. try to make routine for yourself and clean all files from BF2 cache folders once per month - this works for me...still...

Tags
64bit, issue, lag, serious, ultimate, vista