project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
25 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Default Random computer freezes on a new custom build

been really annoying me this, need some good advice.

My PC freezes (cant move mouse, sound makes an annoying noise) at random intervals, but its more prone to happening when im playing video games.

I literally have no idea what could be causing this. i've been recording my temps and everything looks normal at a cool 40 degrees, but the GPu can sometimes hit around 63. this isn't too bad though is it?

Here is a list of everything im using, see if that narrows it down any better:

Intel Core i7 2600k
Asus P8P67 Pro intel P67 Mainboard (B3 revision)
CoolerMaster Silent Prom m 1000W PSU
CoolerMaster CM-690 II Lite dopminator case - Black
Gainward Geforce GTX 570 1280mb GDDR5 PCI-express graphics card
G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-12800C9 1600MHz dual channel Kit
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32mb Cache OEM
OcUK 24x DVD+RW SATA ReWriter
Crucial RealSSD M4 2.5 SATA 6GB/s Solid State Hard Drive

Any ideas?

Edit:
Windows 7 64 Bit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If you can find the four ninjas in my post, pm me to find out the prize....

Soalic: Because Microsoft Word makes really good pictures.
Last edited by Matrox; 05-27-2011 at 09:06 AM..
Old 05-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
otom24
Supporting Member

Default Re: Random computer freezes on a new custom build

Clean it and remove the dust from the cooling fans. Also you can try set up the Freeware SpeedFan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) to control temperatures and set the fan speeds.

Last edited by otom24; 05-27-2011 at 08:55 AM..
Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by otom24 View Post
Clean it and remove the dust from the cooling fans. Also you can try set up the Freeware SpeedFan ( SpeedFan - Descargar) and to control temperatures and set the fan speeds.
It's literally a 2 week old build, dust shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also using SpeedFan already to monitor and control the fan speeds. It's logging all my temperatures at the moment as average temperatures for all my CPU's and the GPU.

I've done a memory diagnostic test, and that came back ok. Really scratching my head on this one

Matrox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Cossack112
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack112

What kind of OS you have?

Cossack112 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Windows 7 64 Bit

Should add that to the OP

Matrox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Cossack112
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack112

Maybe something wrong with motherboard? you have chance to try out everything else on different MB? Doesn't look like something wrong with PSU

Cossack112 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
otom24
Supporting Member

I had the same issues but it was dust/heat/low fan speed.

I found out that it must be a heat problem because i set the fans to 100% by SpeedFan (not dynamic, just full speed) and started playing fps without freezes. My GTX470 freeze at 64?C - i think the measured value is wrong / too low.

Last edited by otom24; 05-27-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Pedz
Supporting Member

Check your ram Voltage is correct, that will cause freezes when it dies from not enough juice. Got the same ram as you, so set it to at least1.6V in bios, and save it (you can also then raise the clock to 1600 rather than 1333 as it will be otherwise)

Last edited by Pedz; 05-28-2011 at 05:18 AM..
Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor

Sorry could you clarify freezes please? Does the computer lock up and have to be manually reset? Or does it simply freeze for a few seconds then continue on as if nothing was ever wrong?

brenn4n [My Hero]: I'm not going to fix it for Europeans because you have enough servers and because there's people in Australia and Japan that have always suffered with pings at least 240ms. This is their only opportunity to play PR at a more comfortable latency since nobody has ever thought of having one in LA like we do.

<3 FCV
[R-CON]Psyrus is online now Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
DenvH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedz View Post
Check your ram Voltage is correct, that will cause freezes when it dies from not enough juice. Got the same ram as you, so set it to at least 1.5V in bios, and save it (you can also then raise the clock to 1600 rather than 1333 as it will be otherwise)
Looks like 1.5V is recommended by ASUS for your RAM, I checked the vendor list:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8P67-M PRO

Your RAM at 1600Mhz:

Vendor:
G.SKILL

Part No:
F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL(XMP)

Size:
8GB(2 x 4GB)

SS/DS:
DS

Timing:
9-9-9-24

Voltage:
1.5V

I hope changing the voltage will help you out, had a lot of problems with ram on my last build.

DenvH is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
build, computer, custom, freezes, random