project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
25 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
ryan_ace_10
Exclamation Sick of low fps, need help please

Ive owned PR for a while now and many times experience low fps when games like metro 2033 and fallout new vegas run fine.

CPU - Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz
GPU - NVidia GeForce GTX 275
RAM - 4Gb (recognises about 3.3gb)

At the moment I run it on high with 8x anti aliasing, but before you say why dont you run on lower settings, I've found it doesnt make much of a difference. On many maps even on low settings I am still getting low fps.

Another peculiar thing is my fps seems to drop a lot when I look towards the centre of the map whether I am staring into a brick wall or otherwise.

any help appreciated, I love the game but would like to experience it without bad fps.
ryan_ace_10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
D33PS1X

Default Re: Sick of low fps, need help please

May I ask why you have a GTX 275 but a Pentium dual core? It could be the processors fault, since newer games might utilize the GPU more. See how fast your internet is/pingtest and then we'll see.
D33PS1X is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

What resolution are you running?

Turning down AA usually helps with FPS alot.

This looking at the map center thing appears to be a more common problem, I think its beeing worked on by the devs. Along with a few other performance tweaks.

BF2 is a CPU intensive game. The better the CPU the better BF2 will perform.
Try setting affinity for the game (BF2.exe) to only one core.

Got a PROBLEM? Check this:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Got a common QUESTION? check here first:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
[R-COM]SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
FuzzySquirrel

Send a message via Skype™ to FuzzySquirrel

Not sure if this is your problem but running in Compatibility Mode / Admin Mode destroyed my FPS so I'd make sure you have them disabled.

FuzzySquirrel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
ryan_ace_10

D33PS1X - I have a fast internet connection (for where I live) around 2-3 MB/s. Good old australian internet, slow and expensive compared to the rest of the world . When i play on aussie servers ping is about 30-40.
And I have a gtx 275 and pentium d because i havent had the money for a mobo and cpu upgrade yet. Next thing on my list.

[R-COM]SnipingCoward - How do I go about setting setting the game to run on only one core??

FuzzySquirrel - I am running windows XP with only the one user so I am the system admin is that what you mean by admin mode? Or are you referring to that annoying tool in windows vista?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
ryan_ace_10

oh and I am running resoution at 1920x1080
Old 11-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
ryan_ace_10

Pingtest result
0% packet loss
ping - 38ms
jitter - 10ms
Old 11-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ace_10 View Post
[R-COM]SnipingCoward - How do I go about setting setting the game to run on only one core??
google is your friend:
How To Set Processor Affinity To An Application In Windows 7,Vista,XP

1920x1080 is quite high of a resolution. Reducing it would probably increase your FPS but if you use a lower res than your LCD's native resolution you will have a blurry image.

Got a PROBLEM? Check this:

Got a common QUESTION? check here first:

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
[R-COM]SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Mines_Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]SnipingCoward View Post
Try setting affinity for the game (BF2.exe) to only one core.
Now I understand that BF2.exe is a single core program. and i also understand that MANY MANY MANY people are suggesting the above solution. But what i dont understand is that when i tried that, i actually got worse performance. like a LOT worse. for some reason, BF2.exe is capable using more than 1 core on my computer.

I can even SEE that. When i put it on 1 core only, that core goes to 100% and all other cores are like 2-5% and my performance goes to shits. But as soon as i set it to 2 or 3 cores, i can actually see all 2 or 3 cores being used while the 4th core still stays at 2-5% and the performance goes back to normal. I dont understand why or how that happens, but it does for me.

So i guess for a dual core it wud be better, but not for a quad core? can someone explain why this happens?
Mines_Skyline is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Johncro

Your last statement would be false.
I have a Quad Core, with at least 100+ other people here.

what are your other specs?
Johncro is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fps, low, sick