project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
fausto412
Default Re: Help: Hard Disk Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]epoch View Post
Resolved.

With the help of this page, I managed to cobble together some bits and pieces, which allowed me to bring the disk back to life and my data was there waiting for me!

Thanks to all who posted, in particular to SocketMan who pointed me in the right direction.

Very very much appreciated.

Backing up now!

Man i have the exact same issue. i don't have all the tools to try what you did. sending it to i365 (seagate's service) to see if they can fix it for me.

how long did your drive work ok before acting out? did you try having seagate do it or did you skip that?

did your drive make a weird noise when it quit being seen by the bios...not a click...more like trying to do something and stopping.

i await your response.
fausto412 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
[R-DEV]epoch
PR:A3 Project Manager
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Hey, that's bad news.

My drive was happy for one year before going AWOL on me.

I didn't try Seagate. That would have been my last resort had the fix I tried not proven successful.

Regarding noises, I could hear the drive spin up, and then it seemed to either stop, or at least settle down and become quiet (possibly the heads sitting doing nothing).

I hope you get it fixed!

Suggestion to the [R-COM]s. Perhaps a sticky post regarding this problem with Seagate and Maxtor drives. Not this thread, but a new one detailing the problem, and what can be done to fix it. I've seen several posts from people who have been offline "due to hard disk crash" and I wonder how many people have been hit by this firmware issue without knowing that it can be fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-MOD]Cp: epoch if I wasn't dancing right now I'd shoot you.
[R-DEV]epoch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
fausto412

well, i shipped it...the prepaid label is for overnight. with any luck i'll know in the next 5 days if they can fix it by upgrading the firmware. i figure they have to do what you do before attempting a firmware update. hopefull it works. crossing my fingers here
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
fausto412

getting my drive back tomorrow. seagate's i365 service fixed it....for free. wooo!awesome.

Tags
disk, failure, hard