project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
24 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
NyteMyre

Default UTP cable splitter/switch/router ?

Guys, im a real noob when it comes to laying down connection cables or network related stuff. So i need a little help in this section:

We got a new internet provider and a new router/modem and i knew that in my old configuration, which was a very long cable from the telephone splitter to the router, was a bad thing.
Everytime i had some instable connection (happened rarely though), the customer support ALWAYS claimed it was caused by the bad position of my router.

So i decided to make sure that that wouldnt happen anymore and installed the router close to the telephone line.
The problem is that the wireless on my PC and PS3 (which are 3 floors away from the router now) are pretty shitty, and I want to connect them again with UTP cables. I want to get a 20m UTP cable and then "split" them in my room to my PC and PS3, but i get a lot of different answers on what i need. i.e. another router (seems plausible) , a switch or a UTP splitter

TL;DR, what do i need to get from 1 UTP cable to 2 UTP cables
See my awesome paint layout below:\

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NyteMyre is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor
Default Re: UTP cable splitter/switch/router ?

Easiest solution? Just get 2x 20m(+extra distance) CAT cables to run in parallel to the devices. Otherwise, you will need some sort of switch/router at the 20m mark.

brenn4n [My Hero]: I'm not going to fix it for Europeans because you have enough servers and because there's people in Australia and Japan that have always suffered with pings at least 240ms. This is their only opportunity to play PR at a more comfortable latency since nobody has ever thought of having one in LA like we do.

<3 FCV
[R-CON]Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrus View Post
Easiest solution? Just get 2x 20m(+extra distance) CAT cables to run in parallel to the devices. Otherwise, you will need some sort of switch/router at the 20m mark.
Correct to some point. Switch or network hub wont work, since you need one of those two to perform as gateway and must be on all the time for the second to have pass-though to the wan.

So most simple way of doing it is to get 2 CAT5/6 cables and wire both to router. Slightly harder way and more costly is to get another router, plus 20m cable from modem to new router, and then use wifi for PC and laptop, since router is now much closer to them.

Obviously if you're going for harder solution with wifi you will need wireless router, and wireless nic cards in pc and laptop. If not then just get two more shorter ( measure this ) CAT5/6 cables and do wire connections to new router and then you wont need wifi capable router.

Make sure router has at least two lan ports beside wan.

PS: I too have adsl and have about 15m telephone cable from splitter to modem, and I dont have issues like you. So might be faulty cable, or perhaps splitter is dying? Have any phone devices which are not behind splitter?

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

HUB or switch should work fine. I have a powerLAN from my router/modem to my room upstairs, where I have 2 or 3 pc's/laptops connected through a switch (and this switch is connected to the other powerlan adapter). No problemo.

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
MaSSive

PowerLan is a differnt thing and youre using your home power lines as medium for your home network.

You will need two of those and one cheapest costs about 30 Eur. Make no mistakes its not standard network hub. You cant wire two PCs to switch and plug that to router, it wont work. Both PC will try to get same IP and conflict will arise, resulting in both not being able to connect. Meaning:

Once PC, one LAN port ( one on PC and one on router /DHCP server ), one IP address, if you have 2 PCs calculation doubles and so on.

AD tell us how your PowerLan config works, I never used those, but I guess it may be simple, not cheap though.

CATA4TW!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

You can use just one Cat6 cable, and a cheap "green" (as in "environmentalist green") switch, the only important point is you'll have to set up static IP for your switch, PC, and PS3.

In the US, you can pick up this: Newegg.com - NETGEAR 5 Port Gigabit Home Theater and Gaming Desktop Switch (GS605AV)
for as little as US$15 used, then do this:
NETGEAR GS605AV 5-Port Gigabit Network Switch - Setup :: TweakTown USA Edition

buy a the correct length of cat6 and any small cat5/6 cables you need to connect PC and PS3 to the above and you'll be good to go.

EDIT: And you can buy similar model that is also a wireless access point for a few Euros more.
EDIT2: Netgear's website has a "find which equipment I need" tutor, also Rosewill makes similar stuff for cheaper.

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
MaSSive

Static and Dynamic IP Addresses Sonic.net | Broadband ISP, Phone, TV & Hosting - DSL, Fusion, FlexLink Ethernet & T1

Well if you set static IP on each device behind switch it will work. Im not sure though how to do it with PS3.

Edit: found guide > http://portforward.com/networking/st...ystation-3.htm

This goes a bit beyond 'simple' dont you think?

CATA4TW!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
NyteMyre

Actually forgot about this threat already

Anyway, my friend advised me to buy a switch and put 1 UTP cable in it from the router, and then 2 others for my PC and PS3

I bought this one from Sitecom:

Sitecom | Product | Switches | Network Switch 5 port LN-118
And i tested it on my current setup and it connects fine.

Quote:
PS: I too have adsl and have about 15m telephone cable from splitter to modem, and I dont have issues like you. So might be faulty cable, or perhaps splitter is dying? Have any phone devices which are not behind splitter?
Neither did I, maybe a bit of speed loss but nothing serious. But if my provider had some connection issues which effected me and hundreds of other customers, they would ALWAYS blame the 20m telephone line setup

Quote:
You can use just one Cat6 cable
Cat6? I bought a 20m CAT5 cable, since that was always in my PS3....does that make a difference?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
MaSSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteMyre View Post
Actually forgot about this threat already

Anyway, my friend advised me to buy a switch and put 1 UTP cable in it from the router, and then 2 others for my PC and PS3

Cat6? I bought a 20m CAT5 cable, since that was always in my PS3....does that make a difference?
And that works for you without even using static IP or am I missing something?

What Is The Difference Between Cat 5, Cat 5e, and Cat 6 Cable?

At best you could get CAT5e but you have no need for CAT6.

CATA4TW!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
NyteMyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]MaSSive View Post
And that works for you without even using static IP or am I missing something?
I just plugged in a cable from my router to the switch and from there 2 cables (1 PC 1 PS3) and they both connected straight away.

Now i just need a 20m cable so i can get it to my new router.

Tags
cable, utp