project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
24 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
AcornBeing

Default Monitor Frequency/Refresh Rate drop issue

I think this problem might have been previously addressed, but I cannot seem to find anything on it here on the forum.

Anyway, recently I started getting these annoying horizontal lines and flickering when I run PR/BF2 at 1280x800 @ 60Hz. However, when I check the actual frequency it shows only 59.8Hz. I believe this slight drop, for whatever reason it happened, is responsible for the lines/flicker. Everything used to be fine just a few days ago, no settings were changed.

I've got a 21.5'' ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED monitor and GeForce GT 220 graphics.

I tried updating the drivers for both the monitor and the graphics card, but nothing helped.
It doesn't happen, though, when I launch any software and applications outside of PR. While on desktop the refresh rate is 60 Hz which corresponds to the general setting.

Also, I tried increasing the resolution while in PR to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz and lines/flicker disappear and the monitor indicates the factual 60 Hz rate as it is supposed to be.

Could this be a problem with the monitor's incompatibility for resolution settings outside of its native resolution (which is 1920X1080, by the way). Or does anyone have any other idea what might be causing the drop when in PR/BF2?
AcornBeing is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
nicoX
Supporting Member

Enable V-sync.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nicoX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
AcornBeing

Default Re: Monitor Frequency/Refresh Rate drop issue

Tried doing that. Visually it seems to make the lines look less noticable (more bleak) but their movement is still very apparent, especially against dark background. And despite the V-sync, monitor still indicates 59.8 Hz instead of 60.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

It is your monitor's internal hardware most probably.

Go into your nVidia Display Control Panel,
click on "screen resolutions and refresh rates",
clear the "hides modes this monitor can't support" box,
then press "add" under the "custom resolutions and refresh rates" section,
fill in all the necessary stuff at 1280x800 and change the refresh rate to 60, then PRESS ADD.

Then start PR.

Edit, you could also try setting your shortcut to 1280 x 960 to see what happens. That is the proper 4:3 ratio for native BF2 support, i.e. no stretching inside the BF2 engine.

For reference, a chart of all common video resolutions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ve...Standards2.svg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
AcornBeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post

Go into your nVidia Display Control Panel,
click on "screen resolutions and refresh rates",
clear the "hides modes this monitor can't support" box,
then press "add" under the "custom resolutions and refresh rates" section,
fill in all the necessary stuff at 1280x800 and change the refresh rate to 60, then PRESS ADD.
I wanted to do that initially, but the "hide modes this monitor can't support" checkbox is clear and grey (non-selectable), and, for some reason, there is no "Add" either. The only refresh rate options the monitor allows me to select while in Windows are 59 Hz (in which case the lines traverse the screen even when on desktop), or 60 Hz, which works fine as long as I don't launch PR.

Quote:
Edit, you could also try setting your shortcut to 1280 x 960 to see what happens. That is the proper 4:3 ratio for native BF2 support, i.e. no stretching inside the BF2 engine.
I tried this before, but the screen does actually stretch horizontally. But that's not an issue as much as it is one with respect to frequency. PR/BF2 video settings only allow 1280x960 @ 75Hz, which would have been perfect for me, but since my monitor doesn't support any frequency above 60, the screen covers in flicker like those old CRT tube TVs.

Quote:
So I gather. I begin to think that I originally got a defective unit which, by the way, was already once under the warranty repair in less than 1 year. I better go check if the manufacturer's warranty expired or not.

Anyway, thank you for your help, Litoralis.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

To be clear, I do not think your monitor hardware is defective.

I haven't had daily interaction with NVidia control panel for a few years, I am sure there is a way to fix this, either using RivaTuner or another 3rd party utility, or maybe inside Control Panel, I just don't know the steps to get you there.

Are you running your PC with an administrator account?
What OS are you using?
What Nvidia drivers are you using?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

To be clear, I do NOT think your monitor hardware is broken. Cheaper TN LCD monitors use some sort of scaling that is misreported in windows.

Quote:
Video.con in \Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000X

Video.con

VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x960@75Hz

This setting controls your current resolution in Battlefield 2. The format is Width x Height@Refresh Rate. If you cannot start up BF2 and change the resolution from within the game, try altering it here to help you startup the game. In particular when you want to launch BF2 for the first time and the game just crashes back to desktop (See Troubleshooting Tips section), you can change the resolution from its default of 800x600@60Hz to one your monitor supports. Note however that certain resolutions are unsupported and entering them here will not work - see the Command Line section further below.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

Quote:
Supported ResolutionsResolution Supported
1280 x 800 (16:9)
1366 x 768 (16:9)
1440 x 900 (16:10)
1600 x 900 (Check)
1680 x 1050 (16:10)
1920 x 1200 (16:10)
1366 x 768 (16:9)
1920 x 1080 (16:9)
Battlefield 2 - Widescreen Gaming Wiki

Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
AcornBeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
To be clear, I do not think your monitor hardware is defective.

I haven't had daily interaction with NVidia control panel for a few years, I am sure there is a way to fix this, either using RivaTuner or another 3rd party utility, or maybe inside Control Panel, I just don't know the steps to get you there.

Are you running your PC with an administrator account?
What OS are you using?
What Nvidia drivers are you using?
Yes, I run Vista 64-bit as an admin. As per the drivers, I use the latest GeForce update 301.42 from nVidia.

Video.con in the Documents folder lists the resolution with the refresh rate that I set within PR/BF2, so no problem there. It is just that the frequency drop occurred only a few days ago. But before, upon log-in in PR/BF2 my monitor used to issue a warning message quite for some time (maybe half a year or so) suggesting me to use the native settings 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, while I ignored it and continued with 1280x800 @ 60 Hz. Right now, it is like it is set to 60 Hz, but the actual output is 59.8 Hz, which suddenly dropped only last week. I am sort of under the impression that the resolution at which I was playing for a long time might have put some strain on the hardware, considering the pretty narrow and rigid frequency range supported by my monitor.

Otherwise, if I run the native resolution (1920x1080) and frequency in-game, the set refresh rate is 60 and the actual is 60 - so no flicker there, but the problem then is that if I want to play on medium-high settings such high resolution justifiably produces much lag.

I will try using some 3rd party software, as you suggested, because so far trying to solve the problem through the nVidia control panel didn't get me anywhere.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
whatshisname55

I've played PR on a few different monitors and I always get those lines, with or without vsync. I figured it was just BF2 being weird or something.

The three monitors I know for sure had this issue were an old 1280x1024 (5:4) @75Hz using VGA, an Acer 1920x1080 (16:9) @60Hz using DVI, and the one I use now, a Dell Ultrasharp (IPS) 1920x1200 (16:10) @60Hz using DVI.

I haven't noticed this in any other games besides PR, so as far as I can tell it's a problem with BF2.
whatshisname55 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
drop, frequency or refresh, issue, monitor, rate