project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
26 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
AcornBeing

Default Re: Monitor Frequency/Refresh Rate drop issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname55 View Post
I've played PR on a few different monitors and I always get those lines, with or without vsync. I figured it was just BF2 being weird or something.

The three monitors I know for sure had this issue were an old 1280x1024 (5:4) @75Hz using VGA, an Acer 1920x1080 (16:9) @60Hz using DVI, and the one I use now, a Dell Ultrasharp (IPS) 1920x1200 (16:10) @60Hz using DVI.

I haven't noticed this in any other games besides PR, so as far as I can tell it's a problem with BF2.
I guess, you're right, but it is just weird that I have been playing for years and haven't noticed it. I suppose the only solution would be to crank up the resolution to a higher level at which the lines disappear. Laggy gameplay, but hey, I now find myself looking at those lines passing in front of my eyes rather than focusing on crosshair or iron sights.
AcornBeing is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
whatshisname55

Weird, I always use my monitors max supported resolution...
whatshisname55 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
AcornBeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname55 View Post
Weird, I always use my monitors max supported resolution...
I would too, but with my graphics card, which is far from the top tier, I feel that I want to play rather on higher geometry/texture settings with smoother gameplay.

Yeah, and secondly, I am not too keen on overclocking to boost performance, which might be a bad thing, but I am currently using my PC for school work and other important projects, so if something goes wrong .... I'm screwed.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
whatshisname55

No, I understand, I mean that it's weird that you don't have any problems when you use the max resolution. Or maybe it's weird that I do.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
AcornBeing

I think this problem might have been present before, but somehow I didn't perceive it or it just didn't manifest itself as openly as now. Who knows... But the bottom line is that now that I am aware of it I can't throw it out from my head and always keep on watching for these lines when I play, which is both funny, but also very distracting.

Edit: As you tell me you have the refresh rate drop at high resolution, I just thought, it is not necessarily the highest resolution that removes the lines. It has to be designated as native for your particular monitor. For my monitor it is the highest (1920x1080 @ 60 Hz), but it could be different for you. There are also more common lower resolutions, such as 1024x768 which actually do work just as well, but why bother sliding down after you've been using a better option for some time. I guess, a monitor that prefers to have its own native resolution does a poor job when you set it to settings, other than the preferred one.
Last edited by AcornBeing; 05-23-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

Anyone of you guys have V-Sync disabled in driver control panel? I doubt this is hardware issue my refresh frequency is always 60Hz no matter which resolution I use but I got V-Sync disable in Nvidia control panel. V-Sync is pretty much useless anyway unless your monitor is capable of running on higher refresh rates than 60Hz. Most of monitors nowadays dont go any higher than this so disabling it might fix it.

I might be wrong of course. Could be that monitor ROM based software is bad but not likely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
whatshisname55

For the past few months I have had CCC background processes disabled so I can't enable V-Sync anyway.

What do you mean by V-Sync being useless? The point of it is to stop the framerate from going higher than the monitor's refresh rate in order to prevent screen tearing. I would think it would be even more useful on monitors with low refresh rates and powerful GPU's.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
AcornBeing

In my case, V-sync, whether enabled or disabled, didn't make any difference in terms of the monitor's performance at different frequencies. I just noticed that there are certain resolutions at which the refresh rate is stable (meaning it is what it's supposed to be according to the settings you pick), but for the rest of the resolution options at 60 Hz yield either slightly higher or slightly lower frequencies (e.g. 59.8Hz - 60.8Hz) that cause the lines/tearing.

Quote:
Could be that monitor ROM based software is bad but not likely.
It definitely appears so, because changing the in-game or my graphics card's settings don't affect in any way the frequency settings of the display at specific resolutions. I guess, will have to deal with it, or buy a more expensive monitor that goes beyond 60 Hz.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #19
whatshisname55

I don't think so. Like I said, I've gone through multiple monitors and at least three of them for sure had that problem, the others I don't remember. One of the monitors was on another computer with completely different hardware, Intel + NVidia, while the one I use currently is AMD + ATI. The only thing in common is the game (unless you count the OS, Win7x64, which I highly doubt.)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
AcornBeing

Bumpy. Little update.

Recently I moved to another room, and when I powered the monitor after having physically moved it from one place to another the problem disappeared, as if it had never occured. Apparently, some light hardware rattle was enough to resolve the issue.

Tags
drop, frequency or refresh, issue, monitor, rate