project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
18 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

Default [Win 7] several updates failing at once (various error codes)

Description:
Ever since that one day when windows update ran I am getting 7 updates that will not install, no matter what. The nasty "Some updates were not installed" comes up.
Strange enough all newer updates will install fine.

Googling my error code (the same for all 7 updates) doesn't bring up anything.
A suggestion I followed was to delete the contents of "%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" (which should force a redownload [because I thought the files might be corrupted]) surprisingly the error code changes - it appears random since I am getting a new one every time I force redownloading.

Symptoms:
Here is a representative sample list from the Event Viewer (System) of one of the updates:

Initial error:
Logged: 13.10.2010 03:00:20
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800736b3: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2345886).
after 1st redownload forcing:
15.10.2010 22:08:29
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800706ba: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2345886).
after 2nd redownload forcing:
15.10.2010 22:42:59
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80246007: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2345886).
Specs:
(check my profile for more details)
CPU: Intel i7 920.
HDD: 1x 64GB SSD (SATAII), 1x 1TB HDD (SATAIII)
RAM: 6 GB (pagefile set to off)
GFX: 2 460 GTX in SLI (nvidia beta drivers: 260.63)
Keyboard: G15 (B) (latest drivers)
Mouse: Razer Diamondback 3G (latest drivers)
Win7 Home Prem. x64 (default updates)
the only thing from additional MS stuff installed are various Visual C++ Redist. Libs.
Using Avira Anti-Vir, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender.
I keep UAC always off.

What I have tried:
  • Disabling Anti-Vir and various other services and background tasks didn't help.
  • Installing the "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [November 2010]" didn't not help either.
  • Using the Windows "Troubleshooting" didn't help either (it only thinks I had problems downloading - which I don't, but I am having trouble installing).
  • Revertig with system restore will only change the error code back to the first one.
  • Installing in Safe Mode won't work because one cannot run services there (Windows Update is a service).

Possibly related is that my IE8 (32bit version only) will crash and instantly recover every now and then when I am browsing the PR-Forums (haven't seen it happen anywhere else yet, I am using the 64bit version as workaround now).
Resetting IE and disabling all (non-exsisting toolbars or addons/plugins) didn't help with the crashing.

Thanks for reading!
Any thoughts and ideas are apprechiated.

Got a PROBLEM? Check this:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Got a common QUESTION? check here first:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
Last edited by [R-COM]SnipingCoward; 12-11-2010 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: menitoning that UAC is always off
Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
whatshisname55

Default Re: [Win 7] several updates failing at once (various error codes)

Maybe you could try clearing that stuff then restarting and then try downloading?
What are the updates exactly?
Make sure you don't have a virus or anything.
Sorry I can't offer much since I don't know all that much.
whatshisname55 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname55 View Post
Maybe you could try clearing that stuff then restarting and then try downloading?
Not sure if I already tried that, but its worth a shot since I am desperate.

Quote:
Make sure you don't have a virus or anything.
There are no symptoms that would lead me to conclude that, will run a full system scan but AV is usually on the whole time. Checked my processes and startup entries, nothing suspicious there either. It either is already gone and caused it's havoc previously or I didn't have one. Guess I'll check AV's log.

Quote:
Sorry I can't offer much since I don't know all that much.
Don't worry, I am at a loss here too. I am grateful for your help.

Quote:
What are the updates exactly?
Quote:
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2207566)

Download size: 305 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to cause the affected system to stop responding. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-085 - Important: Vulnerability in SChannel Could Allow Denial of Service (2207566)

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2281679)

Download size: 687 KB

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-075 - Critical: Vulnerability in Media Player Network Sharing Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2281679)

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2296011)

Download size: 2,0 MB

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-081 - Important: Vulnerability in Windows Common Control Library Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2296011)

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2378111)

Download size: 15,9 MB

More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-082 - Important: Vulnerability in Windows Media Player Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2378111)

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB979687)

Download size: 2,5 MB

More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-083 - Important: Vulnerability in COM Validation in Windows Shell and WordPad Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2405882)

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB981957)
Download size: 1,4 MB

A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-073 - Important: Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (981957)

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2345886)

Download size: 605 KB

Install this update to help strengthen authentication credentials in specific scenarios. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
Microsoft Security Advisory (973811): Extended Protection for Authentication

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support
One suggestion was to simply exclude them form the update list, but that is not what I consider a good solution :P.

[R-COM]SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
whatshisname55

Could it be another issue relating to your bios? If I remember correctly you had updated yours but there is a newer one you haven't updated to, right? Maybe that could help....

Seeing how you have IE crash sometimes too, could it be possible that you're having issues with the way windows handles downloads? Maybe when you're browsing windows makes a mistake and corrupts a file, which would relate to your update downloading issue.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

Quote:
Could it be another issue relating to your bios? If I remember correctly you had updated yours but there is a newer one you haven't updated to, right? Maybe that could help....

Seeing how you have IE crash sometimes too, could it be possible that you're having issues with the way windows handles downloads? Maybe when you're browsing windows makes a mistake and corrupts a file, which would relate to your update downloading issue.
I am 95% of the time using a download manager so I wouldn't know if files corrupt due to download problems because FDM usually takes care of it for me. So maybe... (but I am not quite certain about it because my game play does not suffer from it - no lags or high pings)

As for the BIOS update - I was thinking of doing one since I still got the B version. I might do it right now, just for the laughs.

Again thx for your aid, I yet have to try the rebooting before redownloading, though.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
whatshisname55

Well try it, that way if it works I won't have to keep brainstorming!

Next Idea: I heard somewhere that windows handles all of the downloads it does in some way through IE, no matter if your using Firefox or what. Is that true? If it is you might try reinstalling IE since the program could have been corrupted.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

BIOS update was successful, I also updated all my drivers. Looking good so far however windows update still doesn't work. Will do the redownload thing (if I can find the instructions again) - because that seemed most promising.
EDIT: Didn't work, latest error code for all updates: 0x80246007 (appears to be an error more related to older windows versions )

Reinstalling IE is like performing surgery on an open heart... quite dangerous .

A few year ago I would have agreed that IE handels all the downloads but actually I think people believe that because in most of the instructions on how to get to "Internet Properties" is going into the properties dialog of the IE. But since its a rundll32.exe I don't think its that tied to IE anymore.
Still I might have to resort to that.. or upgrade to IE9 (maybe beta?).

Last edited by [R-COM]SnipingCoward; 12-11-2010 at 12:55 AM..
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #8
whatshisname55

Well, so far that's the last thing I could think of short of reinstalling your whole OS. Sorry

Edit: Can you get a new rundll32.exe and whatever it needs? If that's what windows handles the downloads with maybe that's what you need to fix.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

I consider Rundll32.exe as even more delicate than IE. To me it is a major system file that is not just used by this process alone. There should be other indicators to hint that this file is corrupted other than just updates failing. But even if... I wouldn't know how to fix it savely.

Anyways. I spent several hours reading all sorts of possible fixes and the list of stuff I tried is growing too big to keep track of. (i.e. "sfc /scannow", complete uninstall of AV)
One thing I came across though is that at least one of those updates is actually only for Systems with AMDs. Considering this statement and that from the log the download manager concludes that the updates are "invalid" (see below). I will now resort to the most common work around that is being posed as a solution regarding Windows Update issues: "Hide the update to prevent it from being installed"

For completion here is a relevant excerpt from my WindowsUpdate.log:
Quote:
2010-12-11 06:51:30:342 1052 594 DnldMgr Preparing update for install, updateId = {25632555-BBF9-436E-AAAB-58318EB46649}.102.
2010-12-11 06:51:30:342 1052 594 DnldMgr WARNING: Update invalid. Error is 0x80246007.
2010-12-11 06:51:30:342 1052 484 AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Installing update [UpdateId = {61861904-FA67-4BE7-BDD3-73460CF14231}]
2010-12-11 06:51:30:342 1052 484 AU # WARNING: Install failed, error = 0x80246007 / 0x80246007

Maybe later if I feel like it I might enable this extended logging as instructed here: How to read the Windowsupdate.log file

Thanks for all your efforts, though.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
whatshisname55

Huh, I'll have to check my Intel system on Monday to see if I got that update too. O.o

Tags
codes, error, failing, updates, win