project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
22 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
xtremeqban

Send a message via Skype™ to xtremeqban
Default Windows XP Install

I installed windows xp on my computer yesterday and after the install was done it restarted as it should but it did not proceed with the setup portion that i believe should be there. the BIOS stuff boots then my boot from disc but then it just sits there at the boot from disc screen. I tried partitioning the HDD to 130GB. Ive also googled for some solutions but nothing has helped so i turn to the help of the experts.
xtremeqban is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

Default Re: Windows XP Install

If your system is too new, you might have to provide Windows XP with some needed drivers. This can happen when you are using SATA and have an old XP CD (e.g. before SP1).

Post some specs please.

Got a PROBLEM? Check this:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Got a common QUESTION? check here first:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
[R-COM]SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
xtremeqban

Im not sure what what the cd had exactly on it.(got it from a teacher at school :P) As of specs
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device (PATA)
512MB GeForce 7300 GT (BFG Tech)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. Yale (CPU 1)
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 199MHz (3-3-3-
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

This comp had xp on it...HP Pavilion a350n Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion a350n Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

If you did not clear the HDD off Win7 before installing XP chances the boot record got screwed.
Are you prompted to select a Windows to boot?
If so try Booting Win7 or boot from a Win7 install disc. Then when it boots hit F8 to get advanced options. Choose Startup Repair and follow the instructions.

In cases like this I would resort to using a linux live CD, boot from that and use gParted to wipe and repartition drive.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
xtremeqban

I formated the enitre HDD before i did and partitioned it and i then installed win 7 and the same error kept happening
Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
[R-COM]SnipingCoward
Support Technician

Maybe the disc or it's files are corrupted.

Else: since you are using IDE drives make sure your Master-Slave configuration is correctly set up (in BIOS & Driver's jumpers & cable's slot order matters too sometimes [esp. if using CS])

Tags
install, windows