project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
20 Oct 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Dougalachi

Default Stuttery Sound and Lag

Just today my sound has been very stuttery and my mouse is not behaving like it should (anytime I am on my computer.) Every several seconds, the sound slows down and gets choppy. I looked around on some Hardware support forums, but I thought I may as well post here as well. My mouse jumps around a bit as well.

I haven't downloaded anything on my own recently. I read somewhere about static build-up as a possible cause. Also, I read that it could be a coming HDD failure or bad RAM. I sent my comp in to an Apple repair center since it is still under warranty about 6 weeks ago, and it came back fine. I haven't dropped it or spilled anything on it since then. Nor do I remember shocking it. It usually just sits on my table.

Specs:
Macbook Pro
Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit
Intel C2D 2.6GHz
Nvidia 8600M GT 512MB
2GB DDR2 667
32GB Partition on a 7200RPM HDD

In my device manager, under other devices, SM Bus controller has a yellow ! next to it.

Steps I'm doing now:
Downloading vid card drivers and running a virus scan. So far only cookies. I have already restarted and the problem still exists.

Halp!
Dougalachi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
SnipingCoward
Default Re: Stuttery Sound and Lag

I got the same gfx card in my notebook (not mac) it seems to get very hot very quickly.
Try monitoring your temperatures, see if its overheating. Lift the notebook with a book or something to alow more air to get into the lower part of it to assist cooling.

Make sure windows is up-to-date.
About that "!": Right click on that entry, then select "Update Driver" let it search the internet. See if that helped. Else: You should check for "chipset drivers" for windows (I think apple supplies them too on their page).

Are you running windows natively/with bootcamp or other mac software?

Got a PROBLEM? Check this: PR:BF2 Installation Guide

Got a common QUESTION? check here first: PR:BF2 FAQ, MUMBLE FAQ

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
Dougalachi

Default Re: Stuttery Sound and Lag

I don't have any vents on the bottom of my computer. No fans pulling air into my laptop attached to the case. There is an opening in the case at the monitor hinge for air to come in and exit. And yeah, this comp can get pretty fucking hot, esp. since it is an aluminum case.

As for Windows, I run it with bootcamp.

Thanks for trying to help
Dougalachi is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
lag, sound, stuttery