project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
01 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member
Default Noob Win 7 upgrade/reinstall

I wanted to do a fresh reinstall with Vista on my LAPTOP.

For some silly reason it won't work F11 boot from CD.

Thought about buying new Complete Win7 but, and here's the noob bit, what others bits do I need?

I see here Bios, drivers, firmware, utility.

I understand the main drivers like Nvidia, sound card is integrated shit so that's on Win7, but all the "special' portable stuff like the Turbo or Eco buttons, the little subwoofer etc.

I have a second PC so I could plug it in to that.

Or should I just pay someone?
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester
Default Re: Noob Win 7 upgrade/reinstall

I think you can just install Win7 and have no (major) problems. Installing win7 is rather painless, you might lose the screen brightness hotkey called Eco?) but you can work around it without much trouble. I THINK the utility program to run it is up to date, so should be no problem at all.

Set aside about 45minutes to get through the install , then more time to download windows updates, and off you go.

Use a wired connection to the internet when installing.
Pop in the win7 DVD.
When the installation program asks if you want to download new Windows Updates, say YES.
Boot win7 once.
Go to Device Manager, see if any of the drivers didn't automatically update.
Manually download those drivers onto thumbdrive on the other PC, manually install them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Thanks

How do I empty my HD first and will I have to redo an OS partition.

I'll have to stick all this stuff on after the 7 install?

Just noticed all the drivers are Win7....mine is Vista now be screwed to do a Vista reinstall then.

Has Win7 32 still got that 3GB RAM limit like VIsta and is is as easy to remove with the CMD prompt?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

First off, why isn't your F11 key working?
Second, can you enter the full BIOS during boot and change boot device priority in a submenu? I think it's DEL key on MSI, but not certain.

Quote:
How do I empty my HD first and will I have to redo an OS partition.
Well, what do you need to move?
Files.
Or Files and programs?
Settings? Outlook Inbox? Firefox/Browser settings? etc.
Software license Keys?

First the more expensive and most noob friendly option, Laplink PCMover Home Edition. Laplink? Software - PCmover - Automatically move PC applications to a new computer

For license keys, check this: Frequently Asked Questions About Key Finder Programs
I use magicjellybean license key software. Others work too.

For Outlook, tell me which version of Outlook.

For Firefox, use Mozbackup. IF you use another browser, let us know.

Quote:
I'll have to stick all this stuff on after the 7 install?
THe drivers will probably automatically install during the first Windows Update.
The utility software you might have to install manually.

Quote:
Just noticed all the drivers are Win7....mine is Vista now be screwed to do a Vista reinstall then.
The Vista drivers are there to download too, change the drop down menu to Vista.

Quote:
Has Win7 32 still got that 3GB RAM limit like VIsta and is is as easy to remove with the CMD prompt?
Yes. and Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I'd like to do a complete new fresh clean install with a full win7 not an update.

I don't need or want to keep anything, it would seem best to start with a clean HDD?

F11 works but it just sits for ages with the CD Drive making noises, and bizarrely when I boot from CD with recovery discs it starts up eventually with today's settings - strange as the recovery discs were made two years ago when it was new.

I've have used DEL to change BOOT order and then using F11 boot from CD and it still loads up as it is today - weird It takes ages to start up so it seems to be booting from CD but I've no idea why its booting to today's settings and progs (even PRV) not when the computer was new.

But i know and appreciate that boot discs are a bit unreliable so next time I'll use a flash stick for recovery even though I don't see a BOOT from USB option.

As I've been thinking about Win7 for a while seems like the time to do it.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

Not to be snarky, but does your CD drive work?

Well, a clean HDD means all your saved passwords for your email account, browser, etc is lost.
You lose all your photos, documents, videos, etc.
I'm just saying make sure you backup anything important.
Specifically, if you still have something like the Steam/Origin game backup files, you can copy those to the other PC and not have to redownload the huge files. Same for the PR installation files. Etc, etc.

Have you tried using windows explorer to view the restore CD in your other PC?

If you are set on getting Win7, go for it. Huge improvement, worth the money and time.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I wondered about the CD/DVD drive too, but it runs everything else fine, films and loading BF etc...

I back everything up on a separate HD all the time, although a noob I've learnt the only certainty with comps is, that one day it'll die.

I don't need anything I never DL stuff when I can get a hardcopy.

So the last question how can I format/empty the HDD before install, and I assume I'll have to redo an OS partition.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

Win7 takes care of all that. Just stick a Win7 DVD in the tray and boot to DVD,
the win7 installer is all the reformatting and partitioning options you'll need.

one of many step by step guides on the web:
Windows 7 installation how-to, step by step - Computerworld

Tags
noob, upgrade or reinstall, win